Search for content in message boards

Senet, Chenet, Senette Family

Senet, Chenet, Senette Family

Posted: 9 Feb 2007 2:59AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Senet, Senete, Senette, Chenet, Berger, Salmin Amanne, Amann, Desterin,Bezerin, Rafleau, Dargary, Aufrere, Renne, Rablot, Rossard
Trying to find information about the Senet, Chenet, Senette Family, possibly in Bretagne. Our ancestors came to Louisiana in the early 1700s. I will give some of the information I have, some is just questionable. We have Bordeaux in some of the documents, but still not sure if this is correct. We have found Chenet/Senet families in Bretagne.

Jean Louis Senet was married in France to Olive Berger and had minor children in France when, on September 27, 1729, he was drowned. In LOUISIANA HISTORICAL QUARTERLY, Vol. 4, "October 8, 1729, Attorney General Fleuriau reports the drowning of Sieur Jean Louis Senet, while on his way to his plantation by dug-out on September 27, 1729. There being a widow in France and surviving minor children, a guardian should be appointed." The tutor appointed was Daniel Rafleau. (same reference).
Jean Baptiste Senet I was the son of deceased Jean Louis Senet. We find his marriage contract to Marie Salmon in LOUISIANA HISTORICAL QUARTERLY, Vol. 5, page 275, "October 14, 1735, Marriage contract between Jean Baptiste Senet and Marie Salmon. (The brides's parents were from Chafou on the Swiss border).
Later in LOUISIANA HISTORICAL QUARTERLY, Vol. 14, page 141, we find: "Marriage contract, dated February 1756, between Jean Baptiste Senet, Jr. son of deceased Jean Baptiste Senet and Marie Salmon, also deceased, a native of New Orleans, minor emancipated; and Mary Josephine Dauphin, daughter of Jean Joseph Dauphin and Marie Anne Meunier. Relatives for groom: Daniel Rafleau (his step grandfather), and his uncle and curator, Louis Drouet. Witnesses for the bride: Her mother, Marie Anne Meunier Dauphin; her brother-in-law, Adam Verdun; Jean Monget Latime, her special tutor." Jean Baptiste Senet (called Alexandre Chenet) and his wife Marie Josephine Dauphin Senet had six children, the third of whom was Victoria, who was our forebear.
In LOUISIANA HISTORICAL QUARTERLY, Vol. 14, page 141, we find the death and succession of Alexandre Chenet (Jean Baptiste Senet): Novmber 27,1779; Succession of Alexandre Chenet, Alcalde de Verges gives official notice of the death of Alexandre Senet, stating that he leaves minor children. His widow, is Marie Josephe Dauphin. The will found in Andre Almonester's archives is ______. He states in his will that he is named Jean Baptiste Senet, son of Jean Baptiste Senet and Marie Josephe Salmon born in the ville de Alresta in the Kingdom of France, that about twenty years ago he married Marie Josephe Dauphin, by whom he had six children: Rosa, aged 14, Jean Baptiste, aged 12; Victoria, aged 10, Honorata, aged 8; Eugene, aged 6; and Julia, aged 2. Their marriage contract before Chante_, Notary, stipulated what each one should bring to the community. He had a plantation eleven arpents fr___ by _____ _______dec., two leagues from the city on the other side __ ______ river, adjoined on one side by Jean Baptiste _______ and on the other side by Jacques Dauphin, with ____ slaves. He names his wife tutrix and curat ____ and names his six children his sole heirs."
Victoria Senet, or Chenet, was born about 1768. She married Jean Louis Drouet, as we have said and bore him four children. She died December __, ____. Her third child, Edmond Paul Drouet, is our ______ ______.

There are many French and Spanish documents relating to our family in the Notarial Archives. I (John) have also found some enticing information which may explain why the Senettes came to Louisiana. A certain "Sieur Senet" was the first Captain of the Port of New Orleans, working for the French East India Company. This person was praised by a colonial governor in a letter which I found. But in another was fired for stealing stores from the company! Unfortunately, I cannot fiind the man's first name anywhere.

Marriage Contract
October 14, 1735
JEAN BAPTISTE SENET, son of the deceased JEAN LOUIS SENET ant of Dame
(blank) OLIVE, a native of Bordeaux.
with
MARIE SALMIN AMANNE, minor daughter of the deceased JACQUES AMANN and of
Dame MARGUERITE PESTERIN (D not P), native of Chafon (?) Frontier of Switzerland.
Stipulating for Delle. AMANNE being DANIEL RAFLEAU, her grandfather.
Signing for Sieur SENET, PIERRE DARGARY, clerk of the Superior Council of
this Province, ANTOINE AUFRERE and JACQUES RENNE, his friend.
And for MARIE SALMIN AMANNE, Daniel RAFLEAU, her grandfather, Dame
MARGUERITE PESTERIN her mother and JEAN RABLOT her friend.
With the promise this marriage to be solemnized in the Holy Roman Apostolic
Catholic Church, as prescribed by the regulations of Paris.
Signing - SENETE, D.R., AUFRERE, OZENNE, DORGADUNE, ROSSARD, Notary.

Re: Senet, Chenet, Senette Family

Posted: 16 Mar 2007 3:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm looking for information on the Aufrere family, mentioned in this post.
If anyone has anything to share, I'd be most appreciative.
Thanks
Renee Hotard
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions