Search for content in message boards

william logan

william logan

jana logan (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jul 2000 1:23AM GMT
I'm looking for information on a William Logan born in 1756, somewhere in Ireland. He married Jane Buchanan. They later had a son in 1782 named James Buchanan Logan. Please Help with any information.

William Logan-Posted by Jana Logan

Posted: 14 Jul 2000 10:29PM GMT
Edited: 15 May 2002 10:07PM GMT
Jana...William Logan married Jane Buchanan abt 1776.
William and Jane had 8 children...Margaret,
John, James Buchanan, Samuel, William,
Elizabeth, Mary, and Jane Lavina Logan.
I am a descendent of William Logan who married Elizabeth McCarty.
A cousin did research on this family...will share.
Samuel's line also.
Contact me at: gbell@wctel.net for more data
Karen LOGAN Bell

William LOGAN

Posted: 2 Aug 2000 9:45PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jun 2001 7:36PM GMT
The William LOGAN that I am seeking was in Northern KY in the early 1800's and signed as surety for a Thomas DOWNARD to open a Tavern. Could this be the same William? He also may have had a daughter that married Thomas DOWNARD. Thanks, JPD ab4rx#iglou.com

william logan

jana logan (View posts)
Posted: 7 Aug 2000 12:16AM GMT
I'm not sure if its the same William Logan. Mine died in 1806, he lived in either Virginia or Pennsylvania. But he had a grandson also named William T Logan, born in 1809. Please contect me back if this is of any use. Good Luck

Re: William Logan-Posted by Jana Logan

Janet McMurray (View posts)
Posted: 14 Mar 2004 10:17PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Logan, Arthion, Kness, McCarty, Buchanan
Jana, My gggrandfather was Enoch Monroe Logan who married Sarah Arthion (?). I have recently found the FTM file WFT 100 Tree 638 who has William Logan and Elizabeth Sarah McCarty as the parents of Enoch Monroe Logan and 8 other siblings. Until recently I believed that E.Monroe was a brother of the famous Gen/Sen John A. Logan, but now I think that is false. This file shows that the parents of William Logan were William Logan and Jane Russell Buchanan. Does this match your family? I would love to hear from you, as this is all very new to me.

Posted: 15 Mar 2004 7:49PM GMT
Janet,
I'm also a descendant of William Logan and Elizabeth McCarty, daughter of Benjamin McCarty and Sarah Conner. Enoch M. Logan was a brother of my g-grandfather, Jonathan Buchanan Logan. Sarah Arthion was Enoch's first wife. She died before 1860 and he remarried Emily Nichols. I show Enoch and Sarah had six children and Enoch and Emily had six more. I have a lot of information on this family, except for where Enoch is buried. I am familiar with one of his descendants with Emily. I think Enoch was living in Franklin County, KS when Sarah Arthion died and his in-laws came to Kansas to assist with the children. He, his children, and Sarah's parents are listed on the 1860 census of Franklin County. Let me know if you're interested in exchanging information.
George Madden

Janet Gough McMurray (View posts)
Posted: 15 Mar 2004 9:59PM GMT
Surnames: Logan, McCarty, Kness, Allen, Arthion
This is exciting to find someone that knows of these family lines.I would love to hear more and share what I have. Some confusing information is that the 1880 Green, Mercer, Illinois census had Enoch M. Logan 58 IN, Fa KY and Mo TN. Yet on a file I found on FTM -WFT 100, Tree 638 has Enoch M. Logan (w/ 8 siblings including Jonathan Buchanan Logan) the child of William Logan born 1789 in Indiana and Elizabeth S. McCarty born 1788 in Culpepper, Va. Which would be correct?

George Madden (View posts)
Posted: 16 Mar 2004 1:22AM GMT
Janet,

I'm sending you a descendancy chart if I can get it to save in a format you can read, but I'll answer your questions here too.
Enoch M. Logan was born 7 May 1822 in Fayette County, IN. He did wind up with eight siblings. William, his father, was born in PA 17 Feb 1789 and d. in Pontoosuc, IL 10 Mar 1847. Enoch's mother, Elizabeth McCarty, was actually born 31 Oct 1788 in Halsam-Barr, Grainger County, TN. Her parents were married in Shenandoah County, VA. I have a copy of their marriage record, 20 Aug 1778, and also where Benjamin McCarty posted a marriage bond prior to getting married.
If I can get that descendancy chart to save to a file you can read, I'll attach it to the e-mail I'm preparing.

George

Janet Gough McMurray (View posts)
Posted: 17 Mar 2004 4:34AM GMT
Surnames: Logan, McCarty, Arthion, Kness, Allen
I would love to have a descendancy chart. I gather the 1880 census of Enoch M. Logan in Green, Mercer, Illinois was incorrect to list Enoch's father being born in KY (instead of IN). Of course, the person reporting the census could be ignorant of where this person (William Logan) was born. We have all experienced that in reading the census. Thanks for the information.

Posted: 17 Mar 2004 2:31PM GMT
Edited: 8 Feb 2006 12:14AM GMT
George: I too would like to have a copy of your descendancy chart for the Enoch Logan family and ancestry. With your permission, I would add that data to the Pre1800Logans database and post a profile of the family on the associated web site to make 40 profiles for Logan families in early America. You can find our purpose and message archives at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Pre1800Logans/.

Jim Logan, Research Secretary for Pre1800Logans and Group Administrator for Logan DNA Project
per page

Find a board about a specific topic