Merritt Mott Will

Posted: 17 Jul 2003 11:41PM GMT
Classification: Will
Edited: 18 Jul 2003 1:42AM GMT
Surnames: Mott, Handrick, Murphy, Foster
Susquehanna County, Pennsylvania
Probate Records, Book 4 page 41

In the matter of Probate of will of Merritt Mott, Dec'd
And now to wit, March 27th 1876, was presented for probate an instrument of writing purporting to be the last Will and Testament of Merritt Mott late of the Township of Bridgewater in said County, deceased, and at the same time came A. J. Welch, one of the subscribing witnesses to the said instrument of writing, who, being duly sworn according to law, did say that he was present and saw and heard the the said Merritt Mott sign, seal, publish, pronounce and declare the said instrument of writing as and for his last Will and Testament and that at the time of his so doing he was of sound and disposing mind and memory, to the best of his knowledge and belief. At the same time came J. W. Mott who being duly sworn according to law, says that he is a Son of the late Merritt Mott, that he was well acquainted with his handwriting and verily believes that his signature to the instrument of writing purporting to be his last Will and Testament is genuine.
And now to wit, March 28th 1876 personally came H. F. Handrick, husband of A. M. Handrick, who is one of the subscribing witnesses to the said instrument of writing and he being duly sworn according to law, says that the said A. M. Handrick is unable from sickness, to appear before the Register; that he is well acquainted with the handwriting of the said A. M. Handrick and verily believes the signature to said instrument is genuine. Whereupon the said instrument of writing was admitted to probate as fully proven to be the last Will and Testament of the said Merritt Mott and is in the words following:
Will
In the name of God, Amen, I, Merritt Mott of the Township of Bridgewater, in the County of Susquehanna and State of Pennsylvania, being of sound mind and memory (blessed be Almighty God) for the same) to make and publish this my last Will and Testament.
I give and bequeath to my beloved wife Livy F. all my real estate consisting of a lot of land containing between four and five acres, with the dwelling house in which I now reside thereon, to have and to hold for her own personal use during her natural life. Said lot butted and bounded by the publick road on the east; on the South by lands of J. W. Mott and Abel Patrick; on the West by said Patrick lands; and in the North by M. M. Motts lands.
After my decease all articles of personal property that remain with us which she brought with her after our marriage, I direct to be returned to her, as her own private property, together with a carpet now on the seting room floor, which we have put in since she became my wife.
I give and bequeath at the decease (of my wife Livy) the above named real estate be equally divided between my Son Edson, and my daughter Mary Foster.
I give and bequeath to my son Myron M. one looking glass now hanging in his seting room and in his possession.
I give and bequeath to my son Amos B. my ebony cane.
I give and bequeath to my daughter Sophronia S. Murphy one half dozen silver tea spoons.
I give, devise and bequeath to my son Judson W. my writing desk and book case attached to the same.
I give and bequeath to my son Frederick my Comprehension Commentary of the Holy Bible in five volumes.
I do nominate and appoint my son Amos B. to be the sole Administrator of this my last will and testament.
In Testimony whereof I hereunto set my hand and seal and publish and decree this to be my last will and testament in presence of the witnesses named below, this Twenty second day of May in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and Seventy Five.
Merritt Mott (seal)
Signed, sealed, declared and published by
the said Merritt Mott as and for his last
Will and Testament in presence of us, who at his request and in his presence and in presence of each other have subscribed our names witnesses hereto.
A. J. Welch
A. M Handrick

Transcribed May 22, 2002 by Rex Mott from a photocopy of the original record.
The person that copied the will into the record maintained the misspelling of the words "seting" and "publick" but noted them with a small "x" below the word.
A. M. Handrick is probably Abiah Mott Handrick, Merritt's sister.

Re: Merritt Mott Will

richh (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jul 2003 12:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 18 Jul 2003 7:00PM GMT
Surnames: Mott
And, if memory serves me right, Merritt was the son of Elihu Mott (1789-?), son of Adam (Apr1736-Jan1836) and Anna Cyrena (died 1806) Mott. His sister Abiah was Adam's first wife's name and was thier daughter by that marriage. Elihu and his brother Orange moved from Winchester, CT to this area of PA around 1805-10. After his wife died, Adam went to Vernon, Sussex Co NJ (I have not the slightest clue as to why) where he lived the rest of his days.
Rich in NH (Rhaycook@mitre.org)

Re: Merritt Mott Will

Posted: 18 Jul 2003 10:51PM GMT
Edited: 19 Jul 2003 12:55AM GMT
Surnames: Mott, Filley, Clark, Handrick, Cooper
Hi Rich,
Nice to hear from you.
First, I want to thank you for getting me started in my genealogical hunt. You told me Merritt was an ancestor back in probably 1996.
Well, sorry, your memory is a little off, Merritt' father was not Elihu.

Merritt’s father was
Loammi Mott
b. 5 May 1775 Winchester CT
m. 18 Apr 1795 Polly Clark Winchester CT
d. 22 Oct 1857 Middletown Twp. Susquehanna Co. PA
buried: Birchardville Baptist Church, Birchardville, PA

Loammi’s father was
Adam Mott, Jr.
b. 24 Apr 1736 Wallingford CT
m. 3 Jun 1760 Abiah Filley Winchester CT
d. ?

Polly Clark was the daughter of Samuel Clark and Mary Cooper
b. 20 June 1778 Winchester CT
d. 1845 Middletown Twp. Susquehanna Co. PA
buried: Birchardville Baptist Church, Birchardville, PA

Children of Adam Mott and Abiah Filley are
Elizabeth 12 Nov 1760
Ira 13 Feb 1764
Diantha 12 Jun 1766
Lodema 9 Sep 1768
Sabra 1 Nov 1770
Orange 17 Oct 1772
Loammi 5 May 1775
Abiah 18 Jul 1780

Children of Loammi Mott and Polly Clark are
Merritt 3 Jan 1796
Willard 1800
Lodema 1803
Mary 1807
Elijah 1817
Abiah 1820

Why I think A. M. Handrick may have been Merritt's sister:
The will mentions a H. F. Handrick as the husband of A. M. Handrick. From Blackman:
"Henry F. Handrick, native of Woodbridge, Connecticut, settled in Forest Lake township, Susquehanna County, Pennsylvania in 1817, was a soldier in War of 1812; married three times. Married 1840; Abiah Mott b. 2-13-1820, daughter of Loami Mott” (3)

Loammi moved his family to Susquehanna County PA in the spring of 1810. (3)

Sources:
(1) Connecticut Vital Records (The Barbour Collection)
(2) Annals and Family Records of Winchester Conn. With Exercises of the Centennial Celebration on the 16th and 17th days of August 1871, John Boyd, 1873
(3) History of Susquehanna County, Emily C. Blackman, 1873
(4) My personal sighting of headstones.

Adam Mott Jr.

Posted: 18 Jul 2003 11:21PM GMT
Hi again Rich,
I separated this reply so the threads, hopefully, won’t get confused.
This is about the death of Adam Mott Jr.
I’d like to know your source for his date of death and location.

There are several DAR records for Adam Mott. They all say he passed in 1811, not 1836.
Boyd in (2) says:
”He removed to Vernon, N. Y. in his old age, where he was frozen to death at the age of about one hundred years.”

As to location, (2) has both sons Orange and Loammi in Vernon N. Y. This is confirmed by (4) which has Orange as a founding member of the Vernon Baptist Church. Adjacent to Vernon Township, Oneida County, N. Y. is Stockbridge Township, Madison County, N. Y. Although the Stockbridge township wasn’t formed until much later, the name probably had been there for some time. Several references ((3) for instance) have Motts in Stockbridge MA. at the time. It seems to me this may be confusion about two places with the same name.

I have not found anything with a specific date of death. If you have, I’d like to know.
Thanks,
Rex

Sources:
(1) Connecticut Vital Records (The Barbour Collection)
(2) Annals and Family Records of Winchester Conn. With Exercises of the Centennial Celebration on the 16th and 17th days of August 1871, John Boyd, 1873
(3) History of Susquehanna County, Emily C. Blackman, 1873
(4)Pioneers of Vernon New York, Ferne Kitson Patterson

Re: Adam Mott Jr.

RichH (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jul 2003 12:31PM GMT
Edited: 21 Jul 2003 7:58PM GMT
Rex, My reference is the same as yours. The DAR records have to be wrong if they list him dying in 1811. That's easily proven by birth dates of his children, among other things. As you likely know, DAR records are suspect because of their tendency (up til about 10 years ago) to copy other DAR members work without verifying accuracy.
You probably saw the anecdote in "Annals of Winchester" that Adam did the minuet on his 90th birthday. It also stated that he was 3 months shy of his 100th birthday. Winchester, Litchfield Co CT VRs (Barbour or Sprague Collection) show him born on April 1736. He would have died in January 1836.
This isn't my MOTT line so I've not checked accuracy --- in my files I just note the source and let it go at that. Sometimes there is more than fact/date that contradicts the others. Again, If it isn't my direct line, I just note the sources and let it ride.
Vernon, Oneida Co NY vs Vernon, Sussex Co. NJ -- I've often wondered about that. There are not adjoining and are quite far apart. I did not see an Adam Mott in the 1830 census for there. However maybe he wasn't really a head of household so wasn't listed by name.
Also note that I stand corrected on my earlier post about Merritt's father. Elihu and Loammi were stepbrothers. They, and Orange I think, were the ones who went to PA in the early 1800s.
Cheers ---- richinNH (rhaycookATmitreDOTorg)

Rex Mott (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jul 2003 10:53PM GMT
Edited: 22 Jul 2003 1:42AM GMT
Surnames: Mott, Gleason
Hi Rich,
Thanks for the quick response. Much appreciated.

By the way, the last child of Adam Mott Jr. and Anna Cyrena Gleason recorded in the Winchester, Connecticut records was Alva Gleason Mott, born 16 April 1796. The same records show Anna Cyrena Gleason died on 5 June 1806. Unless there is an unknown third wife, the birth dates of the children don’t rule out 1811 for the passing of Adam Jr.

The footnote on page 37 of Boyd talks about Jonathan Mott, a son of Adam Sr., who danced a minuet on his 100th birthday. According to Boyd, Jonathan died in 1818 at the age of 103.
From the Wallingford, Connecticut vital records: “Jonathan, s. Adam & Elisabeth, b. Apr 19,1723”
From the Winchester, Connecticut vital records: “Jonathan, d.Feb.7,1818,Æ 98”
(looks more like 94 to me) So, no one has it perfectly right. (Still it is pretty amazing, average life expectancy didn’t reach 50 until the 20th century)

I believe that I copied everything about Mott’s from Boyd (it is my line) and I have not found a reference to “3 months shy of his 100th birthday.” If any one has, I’d sure like to know about it.
Anyway, best wishes and keep up the good work,
Rex

Posted: 3 Oct 2006 10:22PM GMT
The Annals of Winchester, page 38 say about Adam Mott Jr. "He removed to Vernon, N.Y., in his old age, where he was frozen to death at the age of about one hundred years." I have also seen two death dates for Adam - 1811 and 1836.

RichinNH (View posts)
Posted: 4 Oct 2006 12:45PM GMT
Edited: 4 Oct 2006 3:24PM GMT
Surnames: Mott, Bailey
Pam, I'm pretty certain it was Vernon, Sussex County NJ (not NY) that he moved to with one of his sons (Lent? Alva? Loammi?) in 1806. There are Motts there after that year, but no census to verify who they were until 1830. I don't think the 1830 is detailed enough to show him living in a household at that advanced age. He is not shown by name. This Adam is related to the Adam Motts of CT/RI (ship Defence).
I've seen the 1811 Adam Mott death but I THINK he was the one living in Jamaica NY, not Vernon NJ. That one is related to the NY Motts (Adam, ship Beavis) .
My Charles Mott (who married Esther Bailey from Glenwood Sussex Co in 1811) is listed as being a blacksmith "from Vernon, Sussex County". He was born about 1790 but I don't know where. I am suspecting that he is the grandson of Adam, but I have no children listed for that son who accompanied Adam to NJ. Charles and Esther later moved to Paterson where they died.
If anyone has any info on Adam or his son who lived in Vernon, please contact me or post to this board.
Rich in NH

Rex Mott (View posts)
Posted: 5 Oct 2006 11:27PM GMT
Pamela,
Thanks for your question. It has been a couple of years since I have looked at this; please give me a few days to referesh my memory and I will get back to you. I know that I have Orange Mott (one of Adam Jr. sons) in the Vernon, NY area in the early 1800's; not in New Jersey.

Rich gave me a lot of good information when I started looking at my ancestry, but I think he has this one wrong.

I would like to know your relationship to this family.

Best wishes,

Posted: 5 Oct 2006 11:43PM GMT
Edited: 6 Oct 2006 7:46AM GMT
Surnames: Mott, Cook, Hathaway
Rex,

I am related through Adam's son Orange Mott who married Ruhamah Shattuck. They had a daughter named Julia Mott who married Wilcox Chase and they had Sabra Caroline who married John Goodwin, etc.

I am having the hardest time with Adam Mott Sr. who married Elizabeth Cook. Do you know anything about his parents? Some say they are Jacob and Cassandra and some say Jeremiah and many say they do not know. Jacob had a will that mentions a grandson, son of Adam, named Jacob, but Adam Sr. born in 1692 who married Elizabeth Cook did not have a son named Jacob. The Adam born in 1692 who married Apphia Hathaway did have a son named Jacob. I have seen this Adam connected to two different wives in different states at about the same time. Were there two Adam's born in 1692? This is not to be confused with the Long Island Motts.
Pam Sopp
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions