Search for content in message boards

Connair/Connaires of Laggoo Moyglass

Connair/Connaires of Laggoo Moyglass

Posted: 2 Jun 2007 8:09AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: CONNAIR,CONNAIRE
My great grandfather was Thomas Connaire from Lagoo Moyglass south of Loughrea Co Galway in the parish of Ballynakill. He was born around 1857.

I have found two Connaires from that area listed in Griffith`s Valuations-William and Michael.Their surnames are listed as Connair.

I know my great grandfather had a brother John, that he worked briefly in England and also on the Clonbrock estates, Ahascragh Co Galway before buying a home and land in Ballinasloe Co Galway.

Would like to know who his parents and silings were or any other pointers for further research.

CMBurke

Re: Connair/Connaires of Laggoo Moyglass

Posted: 8 Sep 2007 1:38PM GMT
This information is from LDS film of Ballinakill church records. This is the only early Connair I noted because the child had a sponsor with the surname I am researching. There may have been more Connair's but that was not what I was looking for.
Oct 1860, Joannes Connair, fa. Thomas, mo. Mary Cleary sponsors Ferdinard Clare & Mary Donelan. No townland stated.
from Griffiths Val., I believe Michael Connair's land was transferred to Martin Spain who may have married Sarah Connair. 1911 census for this property lists, Spain Martin, 35, widow; Mary 6, Michael 5, Thomas 3, Mary Connair, mother-in-law 81, Bridget Connair sister in law 54.
Also from 1911 census, Connair John 57, Mary 39, married 16 years, six children, William 10, Michael 8, Mary 14, Bridget 12, Catherine 6, Anne 4. (I believe wife to be Mary Murphy)

Posted: 2 Nov 2007 10:05AM GMT
Thanks for your reply Cheryl and sorry for not getting back to you sooner; just begining again to to look at this branch of the family.

I can`t make any connection yet with the little information I have and this Ballinakill Connaire family. But I will keep it on file just in case.

At least Connaire is an unusual name which should make research easier. They seem to be mainly concentrated south south of Loughrea in area between Woodford, Derrybrien and Ballinakill.

My Connaires definitely originated in Laggo Moyglass. I know they were related to Larkins and Keanes in that area also.

CMBurke

Posted: 23 Jul 2008 4:26PM GMT
Hi Cepta,

Just wanted to get your e-mail address again. I lost yours when my computer died and the one thing they couldn't recover was my address book.

Hope the search is going well. I haven't done much as before the computer died it was going way to slow to effectively do research.

Barbara

Posted: 28 Mar 2013 6:30PM GMT
Hi,
Your message here is quite old so I hope you are still researching the Connaire surname. My gr gr grandmother was Bridget Coniry married to Patrick Brown. There are multiple spellings for her surname, with Coniry being the most common on all of the children's birth records. Bridget Coniry was born about 1838 according to the 1901 census. They were from Cloughoola, Marble Hill, Galway in the parish of Balynakill. I have their death records from that location. Most of the children emigrated to Lowell, MA but one daughter, Catherine, married a Michael Holleran and they lived in Lagoo. As far as I can tell from census records Catherine and Michael had at least two sons and 3 daughters. I haven't been able to trace Patrick or Bridget back further, but have quite a lot of information going forward. It seems there is a chance that our Connaire's are connected.

Posted: 28 Mar 2013 6:36PM GMT
Would you happen to still have the film number of the Ballinakill church records. I can't seem to find it on LDS. They have a location under Ireland, Galway, Ballinakill, but then no records found when I search. Thank you.

Posted: 31 Mar 2013 10:36AM GMT
I was reading your posting and am looking for a connection between the Larkin and Moran family. I believe the Connaires have a connection with the Larkin Family. Peter Larkin is listed as a cousin of Michael and Patrick Moran of Gort. Peter Larkin was sent to Australia in 1821 and the 2 Moran brothers in 1832. I am seeking a connection between the Larkin and Moran families however remote. Peter Larkin's father was Patrick and Patrick's brothers were Edmund and Martin and there may have been a sister who married a Moran. The 2 Moran brothers father was William (mother unknown). Is there any information you may be able to assist. Thanking you in advance and apologies if no connection available. Jacinta from Brisbane Australia. jacinta001@live.com.au

Posted: 2 Apr 2013 1:21PM GMT
I just checked to see if any of my 17 O'Loughlin children had a Larkin or a Moran as godparents and no luck. Two of the records are not baptismal so I couldn't be sure about those but so far I've not seen either name in connection with my O'Loughlins. I checked the three obituaries I have for the US O'Loughlins and still nothing. Sorry I couldn't be of help. Good luck.

Posted: 16 Apr 2013 12:40AM GMT
Thank you very much for trying. We just keep chipping away at this and hope one day we find a link. Good luck on your family research. Regards Jacinta

Posted: 6 Aug 2013 7:52PM GMT
Hi, I was just looking at some Ballinakill LDS films today - #1279217 and 1279218. I searched the LDS catalog for Ireland, Galway, Ballynakill (spelled with Y not an I). There are several listed there for different baronies. As I was looking for Woodford, I chose the Leitrim Barony. Unfortunately, I was unable to find my Connaires there. My ggrandparents were from Derrybrien, Co. Galway - John Connaire and Cecily Burke. Several of their seven children had Woodford listed as birth place in the Ireland Births and Baptisms, but I could not locate them on these films. I am having a difficult time finding the church records for Derrybrien. I would love to find John Connaire's siblings and parents in the records. Good luck with your search.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic