Search for content in message boards

census information on John W. DEMPSEY of Fayette Co., WV

census information on John W. DEMPSEY of Fayette Co., WV

Posted: 30 Jul 2002 12:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Aug 2002 4:03PM GMT
Surnames: Dempsey, Wood, Landrum
Dona,

Instead of a message that begins with "are you crazy!" I would rather have received a friendly note from you. But I will try to answer you civilly.

Please read my posting again. I gave only census information on John W. DEMPSEY of Fayette Co., WV and his son James H. DEMPSEY. I did not write anything about your ggg-grandfather, whoever he was. I hope you were having a bad day and this is the excuse for your being so rude.

I have two Dempsey lines in Fayette County, WV and they do not connect to the Dempseys of Logan County.

One line begins with William A. Dempsey (ca.1822-ca.1867) husband of Sarah Ann Wood (ca.1827-1887) and is my brickwall. Not one shred of proof so far on his parents. Please do not tell me that he is one of yours as I have studied the census records for Dempseys in VA and WV from 1810 to 1880 and he is not the William A. Dempsey found in Logan Co., (W)VA nor the one in Orange Co., VA in 1840, 1850, and 1860 census.

My other line is Seaton Y. Dempsey (b. ca.1803) who came from Amherst Co., VA to Fayette Co., (W)VA with his brother Wilson M. Dempsey and their families in the 1850s. Their parents were William Dempsey and Margaret "Patsy" Landrum of Amherst Co., VA. This William Dempsey was the son of Susannah Dempsey as proved by the original marriage bond and consent dated 21 August 1799 and found in the Amherst Co. courthouse in a file containing misc documents.

There was a third Dempsey family in Fayette Co. -- John W. Dempsey (ca.1803-ca.1902). Researchers who descend from this line consider him their brickwall. It is this John W. Dempsey whom I referred to in my posting. I have a theory about where he came from and who his parents were. I did not wish to start a discussion on this board without further research and this is why I suggested that Carol contact me privately.

Please try to be nicer the next time you feel the need to correct someone.

Thank you,
Cathy

Thank you again for replying

Posted: 30 Jul 2002 3:10PM GMT
Edited: 2 Dec 2002 11:56AM GMT
Cathy,Very well said. I hate that I started this mess. I did not want to have someone get upset over a little message about a family I am researching for my in laws. I have read your information and sorry I have not got back to you. I just feel so guilty you giving me all of this info and I have very little to help you with. Thank you again for replying and as soon as I get to see my mother in law and she can help me I will get back to you. Carol

Re: census information on John W. DEMPSEY of Fayette Co., WV

Roben (View posts)
Posted: 2 Apr 2004 11:53PM GMT
Hi Cathy,
I try to read randomly message boards in hope of stumbling across some info and you had mentioned that you had studied extensivily the Dempsey line in Fayette Co. and that there is no connection in Logan Co. My question is a stretch, I am from the Logan Co. Dempsey line and am at a brick wall myself. I can track with support from my grandfather Census info in 1900 and 1910, but the 1920 is so bad that I can't read it. And prior, I'm just at a brickwall myself. Any suggestions or input. Thanks for taking the time.
Roben

Re: Dempseys in Fayette Co. WV and Logan Co. WV

Posted: 3 Apr 2004 7:21AM GMT
Edited: 23 Jan 2006 2:02PM GMT
Surnames: Dempsey
Roben,

I think I need to be a little more precise. The Dempseys of Fayette Co. that I found in the census up to 1880 have no connection to the Dempseys of Logan County. It is possible that Fayette Dempseys moved to Logan County by 1900. I haven't checked Logan County after 1880 for Dempseys.

The Dempsey that you found in 1900 and 1910 in Logan, was he born before 1880? Tell me the name and date of birth/death, might just be a familiar one to me.

Cathy

Re: Dempseys in Fayette Co. WV and Logan Co. WV

Roben (View posts)
Posted: 3 Apr 2004 9:07PM GMT
Hi Cathy,
Thanks for responding. I'm hoping to stumble across information and you just never know. In the 1900 Logan Co. actually Mingo Co. Census there is a Joseph B. Dempsey. It's on sheet # 90-08b, he was married to Rebecca whom is actually Rebecca Maynard. They had two children at that time, Thomas and George W. Dempsey. Thomas was 4 and George W. was 2. According to the census Joseph (didn't have Joseph B. on this one, on the 1910 census), was 23, born Dec. 1876 and Rebecca was 21 born, 1878. I can track the Maynard side, but am at a deadend with the Dempsey line. The other children of Joseph and Rebecca in the 1910 census are Joseph, Melvin, Edna and Elbert. My grandfather recalls of the above names except Melvin, but he also mentioned uncles by the name of Jack and Andy and another aunt by the name of Bertha. Maybe some of this will ring a bell in yours. Thanks again.
Roben

Re: Joseph B. Dempsey on Mingo Co, WV in 1900

Posted: 4 Apr 2004 12:33PM GMT
Roben,

I am not a researcher for the Dempseys of Logan Co and surroundings. This said I would like to suggest that your Joseph B. Dempsey may have been the son of Joseph A. Dempsey and his wife Rebecca:

1880 U.S. Federal Census
Logan County, West Virginia
Hardee, Sheet No. 273D
Dempsey, Joseph A. Self M Male W 40 Laborer VA VA VA
Dempsey, Rebeca E. Wife M Female W 23 Keeping House VA KY KY
Dempsey, Joseph Son S Male W 7 or 1 KY VA VA
Martin, Nancy relationship not listed S Female W 17 or 11 Servant KY KY KY
Dempsey, Henry relationship not listed S Male W 47 or 41 Laborer VA VA VA

Notice in the above census listing that the son Joseph is age 7. This doesn't quite match the year of birth that you found in the 1900 census for your Joseph but it is a possibility. This son was born in Kentucky. I checked the image and it is possible that the age may also be 1. It is smeared and I cannot be sure. In fact the last three persons in household's age may end with 7 or 1. The index at familysearch.com has the son listed as Joseph A. but the image does not have an initial for the son. I tried to follow Joseph A. Dempsey in the census and found him in 1870 (seen with Rebecca age 24), 1860 (seen with sister Emaranda), and 1850 (seen in James Starr household).

You might want to have a look at the gedcom files here at ancestry or on rootsweb for Joseph A. Dempsey and wife Rebecca. Note that the 1860 census shows him with his sister Emaranda age 27 - this may be a lead to find his parents. I found an Emaranda and a Henry listed as children of Andrew Dempsey and his wife Martha in the 1850 census. You just need to connect Joseph B. to Joseph A. Have a good look at the gedcom files. One mentions that Joseph A. died in Hardee, Mingo Co., WV in 1900. This was in Logan County in 1880.

Cathy

Roben (View posts)
Posted: 4 Apr 2004 4:34PM GMT
Hi Cathy,
You are awesome. I know that the Logan Co. Dempsey's arent' yours, but it's possible that there is that connection. From what you provided, I will check my notes and see if there is a connection. The Hardee Co. Census you mentioned does tie, that was the same District on my Census search. Even with my Joseph Dempsey, on his first census the initial was not clear but the second one was as clear as day. My Grandfather was very adament that he was Joseph Billy, which they called him Joe Bill. Anyway, you can imagine my extreme happiness when I found the actual census. As you may know searching those individually is some task.

The great tie end off the top is thas Joseph Dempsey was in James Starr's household. Rebecca Maynard, Joseph B.'s wife is from the Starr Family. Her Mother is Alpha Starr. If we're talking the same James Starr, then that was Alpha's Brother, Which would have made James her Uncle. Hope I'm not loosing you. I had not looked at the 1850's census and going forward, only tried the 1880's with no luck. Do you have about what year James was born? I have two James', James Jr, which was Alpha's brother born about 1848 and James Sr., which was Alpha's uncle born about 1798.

I also noticed about your notice of the years of age being slightly off. I don't know about for you, but for me it sure makes is challenging. For example comparing the same family on the 1900 and 1910 census, originally Joseph and Rebecca were two years apart and in the 1910, they were the same age. Drives you a little crazy when they do that.

I do realize that this is not your avenue, and if you don't have any other information, I am very grateful for what you have provided. If I can help you in some way, please don't hesitate to ask. Thanks again Cathy.
Roben

Posted: 4 Apr 2004 5:09PM GMT
Roben,

That was Joseph A. Dempsey age 10 in the household of James Starr age 52 and wife? Rebecca age 34 in Logan County, WV in 1850.

In 1860 James Starr 60 and Rebecca 43 are in HH #707-708 and Joseph A. Dempsey with sister Emaranda are in HH #709-710.

I have noticed that there are several Starr connections to the Logan Dempseys.

Best of luck with your Dempseys.

Cathy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions