Search for content in message boards

Ross/Iva Dillow

Ross/Iva Dillow

Posted: 19 Aug 2012 1:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 19 Aug 2012 1:41AM GMT
Surnames: Dillow/Treece
Seeking information on Ross Dillow (b.1893, Union Co., IL) and ?3rd wife, Iva. Last known residence Hammond, LA, in 1940. No further information on either one. Ross was my mother's uncle and was the "black sheep" of the family. Step-children listed as Jack and Mary Aughey Gautier. LA statewide death index has a Ross Dillow death date as 12 Nov 1949 in Tangipahoa Parish, but he is listed as "negro". Of course, this could be wrong, as the 1940 census has him listed as "white", which he was. Birthdates similar. My mom would like to know what became of him.

Re: Ross/Iva Dillow

Posted: 19 Aug 2012 7:35PM GMT
He is buried in Greenlawn Cemetery in Hammond. Greenlawn is a large well kept cemetery,
15157 C
DILLOW, ROSS
1892/05/27
1949/11/12
And here is his obituary.
Name, date of obit, date submitted, submitted for the USGenWeb archives by:

Dillow, Ross 18 Nov 1949 Jan 2005 Jerry Nelson

Obituary published in The Hammond Vindicator: 11/18/1949

DILLOW, ROSS
Ross Dillow, 57, was found dead in his home last Saturday. Funeral services were held Sunday from Poole Funeral Home. Interment was in Greenlawn cemetery. He moved to Hammond from Jackson, Miss. ten years ago. He is survived by his wife; one stepson, Jack Gautier; one step-
daughter, Miss Aughey Gautier, all of Hammond.

Posted: 19 Aug 2012 8:10PM GMT
Edited: 19 Aug 2012 8:11PM GMT
AND HERE IS THE OBIT FOR HIS STEP DAUGHTER AND THE FULL NAME FOR WIFE IVA.
MARY AUGHEY GAUTIER STARKEY
Mary Aughey Gautier Starkey, 79, died Tuesday, July 15, 2003, at her home.
A native of Norfield, Miss., she was a retired data processor from Southeastern Louisiana University, and a member of St. Paul Lutheran Church in Hammond.
Survivors include a son, Marvin Starkey of Hammond.
She was preceded in death by her parents, John and Iva Lofton Gautier; and a brother,
Jack Gautier.
Visitation will be Thursday at St. Paul Lutheran Church, Hammond, from 9 a.m. until the funeral at 11 a.m. The Rev. Robert Mader will officiate. Burial will be in Rose
Memorial Cemetery.
In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to St. Paul Lutheran Church, 707 W.
Dakota St., Hammond, LA 70401.
Harry McKneely & Son Funeral Home, Hammond, is in charge.

Posted: 21 Aug 2012 1:16AM GMT
I had found these entries after I posted my query on Ancestry. But thanks for letting me know! I really appreciate your time and effort. I'm writing to the Secretary of State of LA for Ross' death certificate. Maybe that will tell me a bit more. Mom's family never received any notice of his death. Only one left is my mom and she was glad to know what became of him.

Thanks again!, Carole
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions