Search for content in message boards

Breens of Cooraclare Ireland

Breens of Cooraclare Ireland

Posted: 14 Jan 2010 11:15AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Breen,Duggan,Corrie
I am looking for help finding Descendents of Michael Breen and Catherine Duggan Cooraclare County Clare. Donal Breen descendent of Daniel Breen brother to my ancestor Michael Duggan Breen whom came to Australia. There were supposedly 8 sons and 4 daughters i know of Timothy, Mrs Corrie,and James as they came to Australia.M.D Breen was born in 1834 i am still tracing deaths of Michael and Catherine. If anyone knows how to track these people down i have been trying for 15 years please contact

Re: Breens of Cooraclare Ireland

Posted: 15 Jan 2010 8:10PM GMT
The below URL will get you to the 1901 Census of Clare name Index for the Breens. If you find any related to the surname Carrig in Cooraclare, please let me know.

http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/genealogy/1901censu...

Regards, Tom Hickey (Carrig descendant of Teernagloghane, Cooraclare Carrigs)

Posted: 16 Jan 2010 12:23PM GMT
Thank you so much for this information I may have found some information which will help trace Michael and Catherine Breen.I have found Daniel Breen and now maybe able to find his first family of 5 nuns and 1 priest. Thank you so much
kind regards Heather

Posted: 16 Jan 2010 8:17PM GMT
Glad that it helped. There is a wealth of information and photographs at that County Clare Library website. Suggest you browse through that site thoroughly and keep it as a favorite. The staff there receive accolades often for their efforts.

The 1911 Census is available now at the following URL:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/

You should find enough information between the two to better use the Latter Day Saints website for information prior to 1901 at the following URL:

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp

I know how hard it is to knock down those brick walls we all encounter while pursuing this hobby.

Best Wishes, Tom Hickey

Posted: 24 Feb 2010 1:45PM GMT
Hi Tim,
Well i have tracked down Daniels second marriage and now tracking down his first marriage. I still have had no luck with michael breen and wife catherine duggan but i am still trying i may have to go to ireland to find them myself. Thank you for your help hope things are well with you
kind regards heather

Posted: 26 Feb 2010 5:49AM GMT
Very glad to hear you're making progress. My Carrig ancestors were neighbors with the Breens in Teernagloghane in Cooraclare. I have yet to find any marriage information between members of the two families but assume that I will someday. You can see where they actually shared some land in the Griffith's Valuations. If you find any connection, let me know.

Enjoy the Research,

Tom

Posted: 19 Dec 2012 6:43PM GMT
Dear Timothy: Thought your post interesting, my mother's maiden name was Breen. They lived in Tiernaglahane. My grandmother was Delia Breen - there were 4 girls. She married a Cotter from Park Duff.

Posted: 19 Dec 2012 8:00PM GMT
The Carrigs and the Breens actually shared some land in Teernagloghane; they were neighbors. I'm sure somebody in our families must have married but haven't found that yet. Anyway, we're probably related!

Posted: 28 Dec 2012 4:24PM GMT
Michael Carrig was married to a Teresa O'Brien from Cooraclare - just in case this is helpful. Maureen Hehir Mason

Posted: 2 Jun 2014 10:47PM GMT
Edited: 2 Jun 2014 10:53PM GMT
Hi Heather re:Breen Cooraclare Co Clare
the following was taken from Autograph Book dated 9 11 1917
Irish War of Independence
Prisoner no 957 Joseph Breen Cooraclare Co Clare.V11 Batt Clare Brigade
Sentence Two Years HL, one year remitted, Mountjoy Jail 09 11 1917.
An add-on stated
Joseph Breen Cooraclare Co Clare died at 7628 South Woor St Chicago Ill, USA, July 11 1949. Buried in Chicago. Unmarried
William Henry Breen Cooraclare Co Clare. Adjutant V11Batt Clare Brigade 1917 1918. Adj West Clare Brigade 1919 1920, Assistant Director of Organisation 1921.
William joined the Garda (Police Force) Stationed in The Rower Co Kilkenny, Married Catherine
Lyng The Rower Co Kilkenny, No family, final posting Garda Sargent, Cappah Co Waterford. Died in Wexford 1971, Kate died 1988.
Their half brother, (Daniel Breen's first family), was Canon Breen PP Bodyke Co Clare
per page

Find a board about a specific topic