Search for content in message boards

Arthur Ralph Cook and family - Roydon Hall, Kent

Arthur Ralph Cook and family - Roydon Hall, Kent

Posted: 28 Feb 2008 12:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Oct 2008 6:42PM GMT
Surnames: Cook, Pollock
Hi,

Im looking for any descendants of one Arthur Ralph Cook for a research project. He was the son of Ralph Montagu Cook, possibly the grandson of Major Edwin Adolphus Cook; born in Kent in 1898, educated at Eton College and served in the 1st Royal Dragoon Guards during WW1.

He married Pamela Pollock, daughter of a Frank Pollock of New York and then I lose track of him. All I know is that he published a small book about Roydon Hall in 1938 and that he had a brother who died when the SS Ceramic was torpedoed by a U-Boat in 1942.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Alec

Re: Arthur Ralph Cook and family - Roydon Hall, Kent

Posted: 12 May 2008 9:41PM GMT
Surnames: Cook, Pollock
Hello,

Arthur Cook was my grandfather. He died when I was a baby in 1972. I wondered what sort of research you have been conducting about the family and whether you are tracing members of the Cook or Pollock line?

Posted: 12 May 2008 10:52PM GMT
Edited: 1 Oct 2008 6:43PM GMT
Surnames: cook
Hi,

I'm actually conducting research into his time at Eton and his first world war service as he was friends with someone I have been looking at.

Alex

Posted: 12 Jul 2008 7:01PM GMT
Edited: 1 Oct 2008 6:44PM GMT
Surnames: cook, palmer, hollingworth
I am also looking for information about Arthur Ralph Cook, but I can confirm that he was indeed the grandson of Edwin Adolphus Cook (a survivor of the infamous Charge of the Light Brigade).His grandmother was Augusta (Minnie)Palmer, daughter of William Henry Palmer who was my 3rd gt. uncle. Her mother Elizabeth Hollingworth Palmer was the sister of John and Thomas Hollingworth who owned the Turkey Mill paper mill in Kent. His brother was John Hollingworth Roberts Cook but I did not know, until reading your post, when/how he had died. He also had a sister, Millicent Anne Cook, born in 1902 but I have no further info about her. I have other details about the Palmers, but little more about the Cook, except that I believe that Edwin's brother Francis eventually became Sir Francis Cook. I'd be happy to share my information with you. My email is: lindapagnani@sbcglobal.net.

Posted: 30 Sep 2008 6:34PM GMT
Surnames: Cook
I am trying to locate the descendents of Arthur Cook as the great Cook Collection Archive is in my care (the 4th Baronet Sir Francis was my Mother's guardian and my Father's best friend [hence my existing!]) and in 1950 Arthur bought 2 busts from the Trustees out of the Doughty House Collections and another from the 4th Baronet,of the 1st Baronet(1) and of the 3rd(2)for the family firm in St. Paul's Churchyard - but as the firm subsequently ceased to exist I am wondering if they were sold off or retained by the family??. If these busts still are with the family I would be particularly grateful to have a photograph of those of Sir Herbert. That of the 1st Baronet was a version of one still in the possession of the Dowager Lady Cook in Jersey, which I know well. Arthur Cook also bought I think a number of Dutch pictures from Doughty, but these I think were subsequently sold? If however his descendents do have any ex-Doughty House paintings I would be keen to know, not only to keep the records up to date but because I may have information on them of interest. I also wonder if your side of the family were given by Herbert Cook, a copy of the great 3 volume Paintings Catalogue?? Hope to hear from you ?! John Somerville (b. 1950.) Newbourne Hall, Woodbridge. Suffolk IP12 4NP UK

Posted: 15 Dec 2008 9:53PM GMT
Edited: 16 Dec 2008 3:04AM GMT
Surnames: cook, hawker
Hi James,
If you are the James I think you are then we are 4th cousins. That is if your parents were Julian Edwin and Georgina, and your grand parents were Arthur Ralph and Pamela Hawker. Our common ancestor would be William C. and Mary Anne L.
Are you researching the Cook Family? If so I would very much like to make contact with you as I know a fair bit about the direct line but very little about your branch of the family.

Kind regards,

Christopher Cook

Posted: 16 Dec 2008 7:54PM GMT
Surnames: Cook
Dear Christopher,

How amazing! I am indeed the son of Julian and Georgina Cook. They sadly died a few years ago as they were both quite knowledgeable about the family. I have recently tried to pick up the thread but know very little about your side of the family. I would be really interested in finding out more from you and would be happy to share what I have pieced together.

Roydon as you may know was sold off many years ago but Arthur wrote a book about the house and the families that lived there. My brother, sister and I now all live in London and I am sure will be thrilled to learn they have a new cousin!

Kind regards,

James

Posted: 16 Dec 2008 8:39PM GMT
Surnames: COOK,
James,
Thanks for replying to me re Cook Family.
To save a lot of to-ing and fro-ing, it would be a lot easier to email directly - my e-mail is cwrhc@hotmail.com

Hope to hear from you again - I have quite a lot of info on the direct Cook line.

Regards,

Christopher

Posted: 21 Dec 2008 12:16PM GMT
Surnames: COOK, WOODE, WRIGHT, MAIDSTONE
Dear James,

I don't know whether you received my previous e-mail or not, but I have lots of information about the COOK family going back to your 6 x great grand parents William COOK and Mary WOODE, your 7 x great grand parents Gregory WRIGHT and Elizabeth MAIDSTONE.
I would also like to know more about your side of the family - if you are willing to share....If you would like to get in touch it would probably be better to do so direct. My e-mail address is cwrhc@hotmail.com

Kind regards,
Christopher

Posted: 29 Dec 2008 8:57PM GMT
Surnames: COOK,
Hi Alec,
Re your message about Arthur Ralph COOK. Could you tell me which brother died aboard the SS Ceramic in 1942. Arthur was my 2nd cousin and I know very little about this side of the family.

Kind regards,
Christopher (Cook)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic