Search for content in message boards

Isbell - Spanish?

Isbell - Spanish?

Posted: 22 Oct 2012 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Isbell
I have read many times how the Isbell name may be a Spanish name. Imagine my surprise after receiving my DNA results a week ago stating that my DNA was 71% Scandinavian (Norway,Sweden or Denmark) and 29% Southern European (Italy,Portugal or Spain). I have no clue how this could be since I have no Ancestors from either area - or do I?
My father (he's 83) once told me - (I called him recently to confirm it again)that the Isbell name once had an a that was dropped from the name Isbell it was Isabell. He heard this from his father. No one is for certain how long ago this was (could it be something that was told through the years for a hundred years or so?)
I have no Ancestors that I can trace to either place on my DNA chart. Is it true? Is Isbell a Spanish name?, was it Isabell or Isabelle at one time? I'm not for certain on the area in Southern Europe, but if it's not Spain I'll really be puzzled. I'll never be able to trace it if my DNA goes back hundreds of years or more.
Has anyone else taken the new DNA test?

Re: Isbell - Spanish?

Posted: 5 Nov 2012 10:02PM GMT
I've heard this, too, but I'm not convinced. The name is purely English as far as I know. Your Scandinavian DNA makes sense in the context of an English heritage - it was the Vikings, you know, who contributed that DNA. Isabella is in fact a Spanish name (remember the queen?) so the Spanish roots could be there if Isbell is really an Anglicized name.

DNA goes back for thousands of years. Isbells can be traced in England for hundreds of years.

Posted: 6 Nov 2012 12:25AM GMT
I have been trying to figure out where else the Southern European DNA could have come from. The Isbell name is the only thing that makes any sense in my family. I wish more Isbell's would take it to see if there is a connection.

Posted: 10 Nov 2012 4:52PM GMT

History And Origin

English: from the female personal name Isabel(l)(a). This originated as a variant of Elizabeth, a name which owed its popularity in medieval Europe to the fact that it was borne by John the Baptist's mother. The original form of the name was Hebrew Elisheva ‘my God (is my) oath'; it appears thus in Exodus 6:23 as the name of Aaron's wife. By New Testament times the second element had been altered to Hebrew shabat ‘rest', ‘Sabbath'. The form Isabella originated in Spain, the initial syllable being detached because of its resemblance to the definite article el, and the final one being assimilated to the characteristic Spanish feminine ending -ella. The name in this form was introduced to France in the 13th century, being borne by a sister of St. Louis who lived as a nun after declining marriage with the Holy Roman Emperor. Thence it was taken to England, where it achieved considerable popularity as an independent personal name alongside its doublet Elizabeth.

Dictionary of American Family Names, Oxford University Press, Inc. © 2006 Patrick Hanks

Isbell - Spanish?

Posted: 2 Jan 2013 2:54PM GMT
The surname Isbell is Spanish in orientation, but not in terms of historical migration. The Isbell family line descends from the R group from Central Asia; your DNA test should reflect this. All known Isbell DNA line testing reveals connection to the the R1B group. If Scandanvian DNA is dominant here, it seems you are more in line with the R1A group. This is highly unusual. I would strongly suggest listing your DNA output; I have a more detailed listing of lines, including how far removed they are from other Isbell lines. ANY new Isbell DNA line list is crucial. You can contact me: Cadaverken at gee mail dot com.

Posted: 3 Jan 2013 12:20AM GMT
I took the new Ethnicity DNA which shows my DNA as 71% Scandinavian and 29% Southern European, my son's DNA showed 44% British Isles,43% Scandinavian,6% Southern European,7% Persian/Turkish/Caucasus.
So I'm not sure what he received from my side or what he received from his fathers side.
I'll check out your site..thanks

Diane

Isbell - Spanish?

Posted: 3 Jan 2013 6:14PM GMT
My site is simply an email address for more efficient communication. British Isles is too vague. Only direct DNA testing of a male Isbell will result in the necessary information. For this join FTDNA.

Posted: 3 Jan 2013 9:51PM GMT
Won't be testing again for a while, already did 3 Ethnicity DNA's. Have you read up on that test? It's a bit different then the others. So do you have a clue as to Pendleton Isbell/John Miller Isbill, or Zachariah Isbell's DNA hail from? Didn't know if any other Isbell's that already tested come from that line.

Diane

Isbell - Spanish?

Posted: 4 Jan 2013 1:15AM GMT
Your testing is too limited; okay so you have a fairly round view of your ethnic makeup. This is based more on the statistical data of your ancestor's migratory background. It is not genetically specific. It's like saying: "Gee we know that some of us came from California, while passing through Utah." But what county in California? What city? What Street? And can we find others with the SAME information? No. ALL you know is California.

You mention Zachariah? Did you know there are three distinct Zachariah Isbell DNA groups with six Isbell family lines? Unless or until a male Isbell takes the FTDNA test, you're wasting your time. The paperwork helps you find your relatives. Genetic DNA matching CONFIRMS if you are related.

Posted: 4 Jan 2013 12:55PM GMT
I know which Zachariah Isbell I am a descendant of. When I can, which DNA test do you suggest I buy? I took the Ethnicity DNA because I thought it sounded very interesting.

Diane
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions