Search for content in message boards

Nicholas and Phillipine Martin on 1860 Milwaukee Co. Census

Nicholas and Phillipine Martin on 1860 Milwaukee Co. Census

Posted: 30 May 2007 1:08AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Martin, Reininger
I am looking for information or descendents of Nicholas and Phillipine Martin, who came from Germany in about 1853 and settled at Franklin, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin. I am especially interested in their daughter, named Phillipine, who married Friedrich Reinninger in 1854, in Wisconsin.

Re: Nicholas and Phillipine Martin on 1860 Milwaukee Co. Census

Posted: 11 Feb 2009 6:40AM GMT
Surnames: Martin
I am related by marriage to George Martin, grandson of Nikolaus & Philipine (nee Bucher) Martin. I have a Martin family tree paper, and does not mention daughter Philipine. It mentions Peter B.1847, Martin B.1849, and Maria B.1852. It says they came to America in 1856.
If you have Ancestry.com, I have them all in my "WITTE" family tree. If not I can send you an invite to view it for free.I will look further in to this.

Posted: 12 Feb 2009 8:55PM GMT
Thank you for your reply to my old, old query. I have found Nicholas and Phillipine on the 1860 and 1880 Wisconsin Census records. Their daughter, Phillipine Martin, came to Wisconsin in 1854 and she was my great-great-grandmother. Apparently she knew my G-G-grandfather in Germany and came over so they could be married. He came to Wisconsin in 1850. They had 3 sons,Frederich, George and Charles(my grandfather). Philipine's husband(Frederich Reinacker was wounded in the civil war and died as a result of the wounds in about 1867. Philipine and the 3 sons ended up down here in Mississippi. I have found Philipine and son, Federich on the 1880 Mississippi Census. The son, George, is on the 1880 Wisconsin Census, living with his uncle, Martin Martin. In the same household are Nicholas and Phillipine Martin, so I am pretty certain that I have the correct information. Later, George joined his mother and two brothers here in Mississippi.
I would appreciate a copy on the family tree that you have. I am not subscribed to Ancestry.Com at the present time. I know very little about the Martin family and don't have much info about them in Wisconsin and/or Germany.
Phillipine was married two additional times and died in Mississippi, but I haven't been able to find where she is buried. Her husband is buried somewhere in Wisconsin, but I haven't found that location either.
On the 1880 census that shows Phillipine, she has two sons, from another marriage living with her. There is also a daughter, named Mary, and I haven't been able to place where she fits in. She may have been a Reinacker or she may have been a Brassel(Phillipine's 2d marriage). I have been in contact with the Brassel family, but they seemto know even less than I do about our common ancestors.
I really appreciate any help you might give me.
Dudley Rinicker

Posted: 13 Feb 2009 3:14AM GMT
In my records and tree, I only show 4 children of Nikolaus and Philipine Martin - Christian B.1844, Peter B.1847-1930, Martin B.1849, and Maria B. 1852. I also cannot find a daughter Philipine in the 1880 Mississippi census, or any other census. When was your Philipine born? She then was probably older than Christian. Much of the Martin tree info came from the Rev. who served at St. Paul Lutheran Church in Franklin, WI - I don't know if a cemetery is located there. Peter and Martin were confirmed there 20 Mar 1872.
1870 census info for the parents is misspelled as : "Nichola Martus", if you wish to find it.
Send me your email address, and I will send an 'invite' to view my family tree for free, and you can check census records.
Regards, Richard Schurk Kent, WA

Posted: 15 Feb 2009 10:39PM GMT
Surnames: Martin, Hinnenthal, Schoenhals
My family is distantly related to the Martins of which you speak...I think.

My gr-gr-grandparents were Philip and Maria Schoenhals. Their daughter, Maria, married Philip Martin, son of Peter and Wilhelmine (Fischer) Martin on May 8, 1900. The Schoenhals's oldest daughter, Caroline, married the Reverend Wilhelm Hinnenthal, Pastor of St. Paul's Lutheran Church in Franklin, in June 1877.

Wilhelm is my great-grandfather. His first wife, Minna, died as a result of complications from childbirth; their daughter Wilhemine, was baptized by her father on July 9, 1876. The following baptismal entry in the church books is that of Georg Carl Martin, son of Peter and Mina (geb. Fischer)Martin, on July 12, 1876. Godparents are Martin Martin, Carl Fischer and Frau Weiss. Is this the George Martin to whom you are related?

If you look at the 1880 census for Peter Martin and his family, the Hinnenthal family appears a few lines ahead of them. We have often wondered if Mina Martin nursed her son and my gr-aunt due to the children's closeness in age. My father's middle name is Martin and over the years we have come to the conclusion that it was derived from a closeness between the Hinnenthal and Martin families of Franklin.

In any event, would love to connect, if you are intereted. I am especially interested in tracking any living members of the Philip Martin / Maria Schoenhals marriage, if you are in contact with them.

Lynn (geb. Hinnenthal)

PS - I believe that St. Paul's does have a cemetery...I remember finding Minna Hinnenthal's grave many years ago. My recollection, however, is that it is not physically "attached" to the church but is a short distance away. If you are interested, I can check with my dad who will probably recall the specifics better than I.

Posted: 15 Feb 2009 11:47PM GMT
Yes, this is the George Martin I am related to. If you view my "Witte Family tree" you can see him and Clara's picture. I have a paper "Martin family tree" showing the 6 children of Philip and Maria (Schoenhals) Martin, and their descendants.I didn't include them all in the tree, it would be too big. Their children are: Esther, Helmuth, Gerold, John, Margaret and Philip in order of birth. Any one of these you are interested, I can give the descendants. My main focus was on George and Clara (Witte) Martin. Clara was my GGmpa Henry Witte's sister. Direct email is: riccon64@yahoo.com

Re: Nicholas & Phillipine Martin in Milwaukee's German newspapers

Posted: 12 Sep 2011 8:12PM GMT
Edited: 28 Nov 2012 1:28PM GMT
There are multiple family death notices and an obituary in multiple German papers for Nicholas and Phillipine Martin - including the German town name where Nickolas was born. (I'm not a relative)

"Milwaukee's German Newspapers; an index of death notices and related items" (1844-1950).
Gary Rebholz, compiler/editor
Milwaukee Wis.
gary.rebholz@gmail.com
Indexing Milwaukee's German newspapers continuously since 2007 ...

Posted: 13 Sep 2011 2:47AM GMT
GAry -

I would very much like that citation information. The Martins are a (very) distant branch of my tree.

Thanks!

Lynn

Posted: 13 Sep 2011 9:24AM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: MARTIN
Name: Philliphine Martin
Death Date: 13 Jun 1904
County: Milwaukee
Volume: 31
Page #: 0456
Reel: 093
Image: 2868
Index Volume: 10
ImageNum: 103357
Sequence #: 243891
Level Info: Wisconsin Vital Records Death Index.

Phillipine Bucher Martin
Birth: Nov. 8, 1809
Death: Jun. 13, 1904

Spouse:
Nicolaus Martin (20 FEB 1805 - 14 JUL 1889)

Children:
(VARTER) Martin Martin (28 AUG 1849 - 1936)
HIS WIFE
(MUTTER) Maria Sophia Friedrike Lueneburg Martin
1856 TO 1929

IN
Saint Pauls Evangelical Lutheran Cemetery
Greendale
Milwaukee County
Wisconsin

WI MARRIAGES
Name: Phillipine Martin
Marriage Date: 16 Jan 1865
County: Brown
Volume: 01
Page: 0053

Nicholas Martin 54 B Hesse-Darmstadt
Philipina Martin 50
Christian Martin 16
Peter Martin 12
Martin Martin 10
Mary Martin 7
Franklin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Nichola Martus 63
Philapina Martus 60
Peter Martus 22
Martin Martus 20
Mary Martus 17
Franklin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Martin Martin 30
Mary Martin 24
Lena Martin 5
Anna Martin 3
Frederic Martin 10m
PARENTS
Nicholas Martin 75
Philipina Martin 70

Re: Nicholas & Phillipine Martin in Milwaukee's German newspapers

Posted: 17 Jun 2012 5:04PM GMT
Edited: 28 Nov 2012 2:01PM GMT
I've indexed family death notices for a Nicholas (referencing Philippine & T/Franklin) and a Philippine Martin in the local resource: "Milwaukee's German Newspapers; an index of death notices and related items" (1844-1950). Thee are about 400 Martin entries in the current data and indexing continues. (I'm not a relative.)

Gary Rebholz, compiler/editor
Milwaukee Wis.
gary.rebholz@gmail.com
Indexing Milwaukee's German newspapers continuously since 2007 ...
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions