Search for content in message boards

James Walter Espy/Lizzie Grills

James Walter Espy/Lizzie Grills

Posted: 24 Oct 2006 5:12PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Espy/Grills
Although my great-grandfather was originally from north Georgia, and then moved to Alabama ,in 1919 he and his family decided to move to Harlan County, Kentucky so he could find work in the coal mines there. On the way my great-grandmother Carrie died in Wise, Virginia and is buried there. James Walter Espy settled somewhere around the Kenvir, Kentucky area and on March 22, 1922 he married Lizzie Grills in Harlan, County. Lizzie was born Feb. 19, 1897 and was the daughter of Calvin and Sarah Stewart Grills. James Walter and Lizzie had Four Children: Lucille Espy born June, 1925 and married first a Stewart by whom she had 3 children. Then married second James Stepp. Then married third (in 1969) Ray Harris and I believe moved to Lexington, Ky. Dorothy Espy was born March, 1928 and married first in 1948 to L.B. Jackson and had one child, James Robert Jackson. Dorothy maried second to Dewey McKinney and had Dewey Jr., Julius, Michelle, Jerome, Colenda, Melba,and Bill McKinney and moved to Indiana I believe. Robert And John Lee Espy are the two sons of Lizzie and James Walter Espy I have no information on. James Walter was a Superintendent for the Black Mountain Coal Mines until he died at the age of 59 on Sept. 15, 1935. James Walter's son Clarence (by his first wife), my grandfather, also moved his family from Alabama, including my father William, to Kenvir, Ky. where most of my Dad's brother's and sister's were born. My Grandpa Clarence also worked in the mines there. When James Walter died in 1935 my Grandpa Clarence moved his family to Pike County, Ky. to work in the mines there. If anyone has any information on my great-grandfather's children by his second wife I would appreciate the help.Perhaps they have some pictures or some information that I don't have. I don't even know where James Walter Espy is buried there in Harlan,County. Thanks!

Re: James Walter Espy/Lizzie Grills

Posted: 25 Oct 2006 4:43PM GMT
Hello,

Here is some information on your family you may or may not have. I am not related so far as I know.

1930 Harlan Co., KY
Dwelling 125-125
ESPY, Clarence, 28, head, mar. at 20, b. TX; parents b. TX!! - coal mine coal loader
. .Ruby, 24, wife, mar. at 16, b. AL; parents b. AL
. .Walter, 7, son, b. AL
. .Leramoe??, 5, dau, b. KY
. .Audie, son, 3 yrs 3 mo's, b. KY
. .Peggy J., 1 yr 2 months, b. KY
NICHOLS, Luceil, 22, sister-in-law, mar. at 19, b. AL; parents b. AL - no occupation listed
BROWN, James, 28, single, coal mine machinist , b. KY - boarder
. .William, 25, single, motorman, coal mine, b. KY - boarder

Here is Walter ESPY's death record. You can order that from several on line sources for one dollar plus a stamped envelope.

Walter ESPY died in Harlan Co., KY on 9-15-1935 at the age of 59 yrs, Vol. 050, Cert 24580

Here are some births from the KBI CD's I own:

ESPY, Robert b. 12-2-1930 in Harlan Co., Vol. 004, Cert 01618, maiden name of mother: Lizzie GRILLS

ESPY, Lucille b. 6-3-1925 in Harlan Co., KY; maiden name of mother: Elizabeth GRILLS - - not recorded until 6-25-1981

ESPY, Audie L. b. 12-16-1926 in Harlan Co.; maiden name of mother: Rubie RUTLEDGE

ESPY, Peggy Jean b. 2-14-1929 in Harlan Co.; maiden name of mother: Ruby RUTLEDGE

ESPY, Esser H., b. 6-20-1936 in Harlan Co.; maiden name of mother: Ruby RUTLEDGE

ESPY, Dessie L. b. 1-17-1940 in Harlan Co.; maiden name of mother: Audrie JOHNSON; Vol. 004, Cert 01910

Joyce Taylor Collins
La Palma, CA

Patricia Espy-Branham (View posts)
Posted: 25 Oct 2006 6:36PM GMT
Surnames: Espy/Grills
Thank you so much. Clarence and Ruby Rutledge Espy were my grandparents. I am familiar with all the names(all related to me) except Dessie. Since Espy was not a common name in Harlan at that time she must be some relation. If anyone knows, help!

Posted: 9 Dec 2006 2:21AM GMT
Surnames: Grills,Young,Osborne,Middleton,Lyttle
Patricia,
I am the great grand daughter of Sarah Stewart Grills, Sarah had my grandfather, John Grills not sure of his birth date i'll have to ask my mother. I dont know much about his family , My mom told me he had 1/2 sister named Lizzie and a sister inlaw named Dorothy i've heard the Espy name before mentioned in family conversations, I hope to hear from you soon and maybe we can find out where we came from.....lol...lol...

Posted: 10 Dec 2006 6:40PM GMT
Hello,
The information I have on my great-grandfather, James Walter Espy and his second wife Lizzie Grills is not much. I have her birth date as Feb.19, 1897 and born in Harlan County, Kentucky and being the daughter of Calvin and Sarah Stewart Grills. Their issue;(All born in Harlan County, Kentucky) Lucille Espy born 1925, Dorothy Espy born 1928, Robert Espy and John Lee Espy born unknown. James Walter Espy died in 1935 in Harlan County, Kentucky at the age of 59, at the time of his death he was a Supervisor for the Black Mountain Coal Company. Although I am descended from James Walter and his first wife Carrie Tallent, I would still like to know about my grandfather's half brothers and sisters and if anyone has any pictures of James Walter Espy they would be willing to share. I have alot of info on the my Espy family but perhaps I can help you with your Grills/ Stewart connection and find out what happened to these people. Do you live in the Harlan area? I live in Pike County, Ky. Thanks, Pat

Posted: 11 Dec 2006 1:31PM GMT
Harlan Enterprise--October 1996

Audrie Espy

Audrie Espy, 90, Putney, died October 31, 1996 at her home.
A native of West Baden, Ind., she was preceded in death by her parents, William and Laura Mae Johnson and her husband, Fred S. Espy, Sr.
She was a member of the Putney Bible Church.
Survivors include two sons and one daughter-in-law: Philip Espy, Putney: Lowell Thomas and Anna Louise Espy, Allen Park, Michigan: three daughters and two sons-in-laws: Dora Marie Clem, Putney: Dessie Leah and Harold Duane Smith, Henderson, Nev., Marian Laura and Charles Franklin Morgan, Virginia Beach, Va.; one brother: Guy Johnson, West Baden, Ind.; 10 grandchildren; 14 great-grandchildren; and three great-great grandchildren.
Visitation was Sunday at Rich Funeral Home. Funeral services will be conducted at 1 p. m. today at Putney Bible Church.
Burial will be in the Resthaven Cemetery.
Pallbearers will be Fred Earl Clem, William Lloyd Clem, Jeffery Espy, Duane Smith, Gus Sergent, Jerry Miracle, and Roger D. Clem.
Rich Funeral Home in is charge of arrangements.
Memorials may be made to Mountain Hospice Inc. 163 Belkway, Harlan, Kentucky 40831

Posted: 9 Jun 2011 1:22PM GMT
John Grills was my great-grandfather. I have some more info if you are still on here and interested, including pictures.

Posted: 9 Jun 2011 1:22PM GMT
John Grills was my great-grandfather. I have some more info if you are still on here and interested, including pictures.

Posted: 23 Jul 2011 2:54PM GMT
I haven't been on here for awhile but would love any info or pictures you have on your family. Maybe I can figure out what happened to my Grandfather's half siblings from his father Walter Espy and Lizzie Grills union. Thanks, Patricia Espy-Branham
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions