Search for content in message boards

John A. Renta Baker

John A. Renta Baker

Posted: 15 Mar 2003 5:09AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Baker, Cleveland, Rowland
Hi All : I seek info on John Baker, the Longhunter. He was also the one who rescued Col. Cleveland from hanging in old Wilkes Co. Many abouts / ca. etc. have led to much info that is not correct. I am looking for John Baker who came to Ky. in 1780 and had early grants on the Green River there. He didnot die in 1820 in Rockcastle Co . as Capt. Dysart guestimates. He died in 1833 in Owsley Co. His property was
very near Squabble Creek. He often hunted there and in Rockcastle Co. The 1850 Owsley Census shows him still living and aged between 80 & 90 yrs.( b. ca. 1744, not 1735,,
unless someone has documented, not circumstantial evidence) in the house of a grandson. I have a document dated 1889 that clearly identifies this John Baker as .." the one who went to the rescue of Col. Cleveland ." Any and all
serious information considered and appreciated.

Thanks/ Jackie

Re: John A. Renta Baker

Ardilla Johnson (View posts)
Posted: 22 Sep 2004 8:22PM GMT
Although I have no documented proof where John Baker, the Longhunter died as Capt. Dysart DID NOT say but I do have enough information to know that he was not talking about John Renta Baker. John Baker the Longhunter was the son of Humphrey Baker and was a neighbor of the Dysarts in what is now Washington County, VA.

jackie burton (View posts)
Posted: 23 Sep 2004 2:36AM GMT
Surnames: BAKER-ROWLAND-Humphrey,etc.
Thank you for your time in replying re: John A."Renta" Baker.
We are certain where our John Baker is buried and when he died. We also have records tying him to his father and grandfather. But, we are very interested in Humphrey Baker for several reasons. Are you a descendent of Humphrey Baker? If interested in sharing some more on this, we are very interested. Though...we are looking for a missing generation, don't think it is Humphrey. Do you have a b.d. for him? Hope to hear from you again.
P.S. we have the info on our John Baker and have applied for the Gov.Marker on him. Our John Baker was at the head of a group of men who went to the rescue of Col. Cleveland and he has been an accepted Patriot since 1889, per NSSAR . In addition, Dr. W. Doub Bennett did a great piece of research on this Baker family and they are in fact the ones from Wilkes Co. NC who were previously from Washington Co., VA.

Posted: 23 Sep 2004 6:36AM GMT
Edited: 19 Apr 2005 8:16PM GMT
Hi Jackie,
Both Nadene & I are descendants of the "elder Humphrey Baker" of Washington Co. VA. Humphrey & Family are mentioned in Augusta Co. records, recorded as tax payers in Botetourt Co VA, later Fincastle & finally Washingtion Co. VA. They didn't move from that location, 1767 until 1787 when the elder Humphrey sold his property to the Hutton family who own it untill this day.
Humphrey actually bought the property back in 1750 but in 1755 was driven back into Bedford Co. VA because of the severe Indian hostilites in the area.
Don't worry...the Humphrey Baker group, (ORANGE)is not related to your Andrew/John Renta Baker group (YELLOW) may have crossed paths but are not related.
Your John Baker and I'm assuming you mean "Renta" may have assisted in the rescue of Col. Cleveland, I don't know but I'd certainly like to hear more about Dr. W. Doub Bennett and his research on your Baker family who was previously from Washington Co. VA??? The only time a "Andrew Baker" showed up in Washington Co. VA was after 1790 and no mention has ever been made of "John Renta Baker" being in that location?
As far as "Col. James Dysart" goes he was a close neigbor of our Humphrey Baker & family, Thomas, John, George & Robert Baker as early as the 1772 tax list of Botetourt Co. VA through the 1782 tax list of Washington Co. VA. Goodness, my ancestor, Thomas Baker and Capt./Col. James Dysart went to the same church! All of this is well documented
Your group of researchers, Andrew/John Renta Baker, YELLOW group have claimed many Baker's that don't belong to them. I know there was an early version of "Robert, the Gunsmith Baker", of 1728 in PA that you believed to be the father of Andrew....Wrong. Robert, the Gunsmith, Baker" belongs to the PURPLE Baker group. The Renta group also claimed Humphrey Baker's son "Rev. Robert Baker" b. 1754 in VA as there own...wrong. At this time we believe with "good documetation" that our Rev. Robert Baker when applying for his R/W pension mentioned his brother "Ensign John Baker" who also fought at Kings Mountain and was a good friend of Col. James Dysart.
Jackie....I would certainly like to correspond with you and I'm sure Nadene would also. I'm sure you know where your "John Baker" is buried and when he died and I'm glad you have records "tying" him to his father & grandfather. I'd love to see your records.
Meredith

Posted: 23 Sep 2004 6:54AM GMT
Hi Jackie,

Just looked at your original message. We do need to talk. Capt./Col. James Dysart was a good friend of our Humphrey Baker family and Humphrey's son, John Baker is recorded as being a Long Hunter! We should exchange information.
Meredith

Gennie Thompson (View posts)
Posted: 23 Sep 2004 11:43AM GMT
I do not know who Dr. W. Doub Bennett is and am not familiar with his work. However, I have never seen a single record indicating that the Wilkes Co. NC group was anywhere near Washington Co. VA prior to Wilkes Co. and Grayson Co.

Could you please post a record for the group in Washington Co. VA?

Gennie

Ardilla Johnson (View posts)
Posted: 23 Sep 2004 3:29PM GMT
I thank you also for replying. I am curious about this research that Dr. W. Doub Bennett did. What documentation did he provide? Those extant records in Washington Co, VA have been researched and examined and absolutely nothing has been found to support that those Bakers from Wilkes Co, NC ever lived, owned property or paid taxes in Washington Co. Am I missing something here? I thank you are very lucky to have found your John Renta's gravesite and to have it marked. Please post some documentation that would support John Renta having lived in or mustered in Washington County. Also that the John Baker referenced by Dysart was John Renta. Thanks.

Posted: 23 Sep 2004 3:59PM GMT
Jackie, you asked if we had a birth & death date for our elder Humphrey Baker. Humphrey was born May 4, 1713 in Old Swinford Parish, Stourbridge, Wocestershire, England. His parents were William Baker & Elizabeth Rogers. Humphrey immigrated to the colonies at age 16, Dec. 1729 as an indentured servant. Humphrey could both read & write. We are unsure when or where Humphrey died but know that he was alive in 1787 when he sold his property in Washington Co. VA to the Hutton Family. His son, Rev. Robert Baker also sold his property that bordered Humphrey to the Hutton family. We believe that Humphrey probably lived with one of his children until his death and was tax exempt. Humphrey purchased 449 1/2 acres of property in 1782 in what was later Madison Co. KY. His oldest son, Thomas Baker, settled in Madison Co. by 1787 (according to the earlist tax list) and later paid taxes on this 449 1/2 acres on Station Camp Creek. My ancestor, Humphrey Baker b. 1774, son of Thomas & grandson of the elder Humphrey also paid taxes on this property and later sold it.

jackie burton (View posts)
Posted: 23 Sep 2004 5:37PM GMT
Surnames: Baker,Rowland,Humphrey,Morris,Allen, etc.
Hi Gennie: I am leaving town in a.m. Be back Mon. I don't think you are missing anything except some of the recs. WE are working on the recent location of the Wills of a Robert ,Thomas,Andrew Baker from Washington Co. As soon as we have all this in place, be happy to share .We feel
we have the right people. Have several who are working on
this.Wills are at Library Va and Archives in Richmond.

Send your email address if you dont mind . I will send you a copy of a few pages of the Article I refer to. We are from Andrew Baker ,Sr. and Robert Baker,his father, etc.

Thanks, Jackie Burton

Eugenia Thompson (View posts)
Posted: 24 Sep 2004 2:00AM GMT
You can click on my name and get my email address, but I seriously doubt if you'll mail any records. I am not interested in anyone's assumptions (pages from an article) about Bakers in Washington Co. VA. I am only interested in records.

Obviously, if there were records in Botetourt>Fincastle>Washington Co. VA to substantiate your claim, you would post them.

E. Thompson
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions