Search for content in message boards

1862 immigration from Prussia/Germany

1862 immigration from Prussia/Germany

Posted: 25 Oct 2005 2:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
Can anyone tell me how to locate ship records for this time period? I tried ISTG and it gives me alink to Rootsweb, but can't find anything on this site.
Looking for R.M. or Robert Cohen and his wife Sophia

Re: 1862 immigration from Prussia/Germany

Posted: 25 Oct 2005 7:01PM GMT
Try Ancestry.com and the Castle Garden database at:
http://www.castlegarden.org/index.html

Nancy Frazier (View posts)
Posted: 25 Oct 2005 11:43PM GMT
Surnames: Cohen
Do you have a second suggestion?? if they don't appear at the above recommended site..

Posted: 26 Oct 2005 1:24AM GMT
Have you tried Ancestry.com immigration database?

Posted: 26 Oct 2005 12:23PM GMT
That does not seem to be part of my subscription. I think all I have is census data. Be more than tickled if someone else could check it out for me.
Robert Cohen (sometimes shown as R.M. or R.W. from Germany (probably Berlin) immigrated in 1862/63, born in 1843. May have immigrated with his wife Sophie or Sophia. Known to be Jew

Posted: 26 Oct 2005 6:32PM GMT
Hi Nancy,

Do you have a local Family History Center near you?, see:
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library/FHC/frameset_fhc.asp

If you go in and use their computer you can access all of Ancestry.com for free.

The immigration database is excellent, and will be probably your best source for finding your Prussian immigrants.

Posted: 27 Oct 2005 6:34PM GMT
Hi Nancy,

I took a look for you in my Germans To America CD and could not find him or her with those names or close.

How sure are you on the immigration year, could the name be spelled differently like Koen, Coen, etc, why do you think Berlin, and where did they immigrate to in the U.S., what was Sophia's maiden name and aprox birth year?

Posted: 27 Oct 2005 7:18PM GMT
Lots of questions.....but glad for the help.
I suppose the name could have been spelled any way. I know one of the sons later in life changed his name to COHLE saying he could not be successful in business with a jewish name.
The Berlin came from a census record, as did the immigration year
In 1870, 1880 they were in Wayne Co. NC. with their 3 oldest children born in Ohio. that census indicates that they were from Prussia
"1900 – Carthage, Jasper County, Mo. Siegmond b. Jan 1867 NC Physician (lived on Garrison Ave in Carthage) this census has birthdates of most of the above children. Rose Apr 1869 Ga. Married 13 years (1887). Also living with the family was Sigmond’s parents:
Robert b. Apr 1843 Germany, Sophia b. Dec 1833 Germany. He is life insurance agent, immigrated in 1862. Been in USA 38 years. Married 42 years. She had 6 children – 3 were living."
Not a clue on Sophia's maiden name, but it appears that they were married at time of immigration.
We do have a small Mormon church here with a research room about 10x10. They have very limited hours and unknowledgeable, and very elderly staffing. The last time I was there (probably 3 years ago) they did not have a computer, just reader machines. I'll give it another try when things settle down around here - too many family emergencies.....
per page

Find a board about a specific topic