Search for content in message boards

John Myers the Hunter

John Myers the Hunter

Posted: 15 Aug 2010 1:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
I just want to let everyone know I am doing research on John Myers the Hunter who lived in Martinsburg WV. John Myers was a professional hunter and he was the backdrop for a book titled Leather and Silk by John Esten Cooke.

Martinsburg Historians confirm that John Myers the Hunter was a real person who operated in the late 1700's between Berkeley and Morgan County VA which is now WV.

It's believe John Myers had 18 children although, to date, not one has been accounted for.

I am working the issue that John Myers might be related to writer John Esten Cook who was a cousin of CSA General Jeb Brown Stuart's wife.

Re: John Myers the Hunter

Posted: 15 Aug 2010 5:53PM GMT
I have a John Myers married to Mary Stalnaker. Their son John Myers b1818 married Lucinda Ferrell. It is not known the date of birth for John Myers married to Mary....their marriage was 1808 Patrick Co Va....any connection here...?

Posted: 15 Aug 2010 8:14PM GMT
At this time, I don't know.

If you read the book, John Myers seems to be Catholic and whats to send several daughters to Catholic Schools in and around Martinsburg WV. I am not sure of the birth or death dates but he is doing his main hunting in the late 1700's.

John Myers could also be Jewish married to a Catholic Native American. I have just started this research. You can get more on this. Just Google John Esten Cooke's book Leather and Silk the life of John Myers the Hunter.

John Esten Cooke was related to General Daniel Morgan of Winchester VA. The General's daughter Nancy Morgan married Presley Neville of Pittsburgh who was the aid de camp to General Lafayette. General Lafayette was a well known Catholic and was an adviser to General George Washington.

Posted: 15 Aug 2010 8:47PM GMT
Can you please keep in touch with me. I have a feeling we may go someplace with this. Please contact me off list for extra info if you like. I am a Genealogist and have many records you may be interested in.
In our family those of us who do research all have thought our John Myers who was married to Mary Stalnaker was Jewish descendant for a long time.
May I also ask your line from this John the Hunter?
The connections I have to the line are connected to my DAR Patriots.

Posted: 15 Aug 2010 10:05PM GMT
I am not sure of my connection.

My research is based on a record that my Pittsburgh Myers family may have built the boat for Meriwether Lewis. For sure the record says Jacob Myers built several boats for General George Rogers Clark who was William Clark's brother of the Lewis and Clark Expedition out of Pittsburgh in 1803. Thomas Jefferson purchased the boats

To make the jump from George to William Clark I needed to look at everyone. It's interesting that John Esten Cooke's father was John Rogers Cooke. Now I need to know if General George Rogers Clark was related to John Rogers Cooke the father of John Esten Cooke who wrote the book.

I visited John Esten Cooks graveyard today. The center of the graveyard is buried Virginia Gov Edmond Jennings Randolph the cousin of Thomas Jefferson. Facing the Governor's grave site, John Esten Cooke is about 75 ft at 11 o'clock with the Morgans and the Nevilles are 75ft at 5 o'clock on the other side.

Daniel Morgan was married at the church were everyone is buried. It was Bishop Meade's Church. The cemetery is full of Meades, Randolphs, Burwells, Carters and Cookes and just about everyone is related to each other.

This is the church that Thomas Lord Fairfax attended.

Posted: 2 Jun 2012 11:53PM GMT
Have you researched the website "Descendents of Jacob Myers"? This my lineage of the Myers Family Tree. My Great Great Grandfather was Daniel Hunter and Great Great Grandmother was Nancy Helen Kisner. Looking forward to corresponding with you.

Posted: 16 Jun 2012 2:14AM GMT
Jacob Myers is one of the most common names in the United States. What is not so common is three Hunters. Hunter John Myers, Hunter Tim Murphy and Hunter Robert Stuart.

Posted: 17 Jun 2012 2:16AM GMT
Thanks for your response. I have my Grandfathers death certificate and so far the research I have done shows the correct descendents. The one confusing item is my Great Grandfather's name was Joel Albert and in the records is shows Joseph R. Any help with this?

Posted: 17 Jun 2012 2:22AM GMT
Have your read the book The Life of Hunter John Myers by CSA Col John Esten Cooke? Col Cooke was CSA General JEB Stuart's second in command. Again the names are Myers Murphy and Stuart.

Posted: 17 Jun 2012 2:37AM GMT
I haven't had the pleasure of reading the book, although it has been recommended. I guess I will have to read it to find out why my Great Grandfather's name is different. I do appreciate all the help I get. I do know that my Great Great Grandfather's name was Daniel Hunter and his parents were named James J and Ruhana Pyles (1st wife) Nancy Hess Winemiller. (2nd wife) Also Nancy Kisner was the 2nd wife of Daniel Hunter, which was my Great Grandfather's mother.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic