Search for content in message boards

Guilliam Barker Cemetery

Guilliam Barker Cemetery

Posted: 29 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Apr 2002 10:33PM GMT
Surnames: Barker
Could anyone tell me where the Guilliam Barker Cemetery is located. It is suppose to be around the Boxwood, Irisburg area. One source stated that it was near the James Russell Cemetery. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Larry

Re: Guilliam Barker Cemetery

abcs@exis.net (View posts)
Posted: 18 Sep 2001 9:17PM GMT
Surnames: BARKER
I was told it is in the woods to the left back of the Russell Cemetery. I plan to visit there the first weekend of October 2001 and try to find it. My deceased uncle has been there.

Posted: 1 Nov 2001 5:18PM GMT
Edited: 2 Apr 2002 10:33PM GMT
Thanks, I found it.

Posted: 12 Jan 2013 8:10PM GMT
Larry

Is it called "Guilliam Barker Cemetery" or "Barker Cemetery"??

Back in 2008 I was adding memorials on Find A Grave to Guilliam Barker Cemetery but someone created a new cemetery called "Barker Cemetery".

I don't live in the area but was just tring to get my line in and I had in notes

"Guilliams Barker Cemetery in Axton, VA Located on Axton Road in the back half of the woods to the left when facing the Russell Cemetery. Please go to the home near the Russell Cemetery to ask for permission to walk across his property. There are approximately 30 graves but only these are readable. Most are marked with stones."

Posted: 13 Jan 2013 6:42AM GMT
Hi,

It is good to hear from you. I have always heard that the cemetery was called "Guilliam Barker Cemetery". Guilliam and his wife, Sarah along with some of their children are buried there. Very few of the graves have markers, and a lot of them are unreadable. I think that since Guilliam and Sarah's tombstone could be read that this is how it came to be named "Guilliam Barker Cemetery". I think that this cemetery may be the original "Old Barker Family Cemetery". Not far from this cemetery is a place where Mary Susan "Curtie" Barker is buried, this has been called "Barker Cemetery". Also not far away is where James Madison Barker and family are buried Then nearby is where Daniel Barker and family are buried. All the land where the cemeteries are located was once owned by Joseph Barker and his brother, Allen and descendants. To help locate the cemeteries they started being called by the name of whoever owned the property and is buried there. If they were all called Barker Cemetery then it would be hard to locate a particular grave.

Hope this helps.

Take Care,

Larry

Posted: 13 Jan 2013 3:03PM GMT
Thanks Larry

I'm still around.. Getting back into "my" genealogy now that I have decided to do DNA testing. Was only working on NANCE's for a while.

As for the cemetery's that's what I thought.. I think what someone has done on Find A Grave was create 1 cemetery "Barker Cemetery" and put everyone in it (the Barkers). I had already started a cemetery.

Oh well...

Sonia

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 5:56AM GMT
I was about the same way. I took a long break from doing genealogy and just getting back into now.

In the Irisburg and Boxwood communities there are many cemeteries that has Barker's buried in them. I have visited many of them and wrote down the names on the graves. I also noted where the cemeteries were and how to get to them. A lot of the cemeteries are located down small dirt roads (paths) and some are located back in the woods with walking being the only way to get to them.

I have never used Find a grave but I have found sites where my information on the locations and names of the cemeteries were posted. Some in the exact way I wrote it. Several years ago I put together a little pamphlet on all the graves I have visited were Barker's were buried and how to get to them. At one of the Barker Family Reunions the pamphlets were giving out. Not long after I started seeing this info on different websites.

I noticed in your genealogy information that you have been given some incorrect info on my family. This was with my grandmother, Minnie Maud Barker and her husband, Lewis Sullivan Isley. In your info you had Minnie Maud Barker married to Posey Lester Barker. Posey Lester Barker was married to Minnie N. Barker. There were alot of Minnie Barker's so it was easy to get them mixed up.

Well I didn't intend for this to be so long, got carried away.

Take care

Larry
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions