Search for content in message boards

Kramer of Schuylkill and Northumberland, PA

Kramer of Schuylkill and Northumberland, PA

Posted: 6 Mar 2003 8:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 29 Jun 2004 7:19PM GMT
Surnames: Kramer, Griffith, James, Miller, Schatzlein, Kase
I am searching for relations from two generations of Kramer's.

Christian Kramer immigrated from Germany/Prussia in 1833 with his wife Lena Brown, and at least one of his 4 sons. He died in Trevorton in 1853. His son Jacob Kramer married Agnes Griffith in Pottsville, PA in 1850. They settled in the Shamokin area. Jacob owned and ran a hotel on the main drag in Shamokin, and also owned and ran a mine in the region. He was on the building committee of the Excelsior Methodist Episcopal Church, and was elected Sheriff of Northumberland County in 1883. He was also a mine superintendent for a time.

Jacob and Agnes Kramer had 8 children.
Elmira Kramer married Richard James.
Agnes Kramer married a Mr. Miller.
Susannah Kramer married John Schatzlein.
George Kramer.
Clinton Kramer.
Margaret Kramer.
Louisa Kramer married Edward Kase.
Emma Kramer.

Can anyone tell me about the other 3 Christian and Lena Kramer sons? Is anyone researching lines connected to Jacob's children? Any connections for Agnes Griffith?

Re: Kramer of Schuylkill and Northumberland, PA

Gregory Linton (View posts)
Posted: 26 May 2003 8:43PM GMT
Surnames: Kramer, Garman, Wilson, Linton, Burns
I'am looking for a connection between Jacob Kramer, and a possible brother or other relative named Jacob Kramer. Could there have been 2 in the Schuylkill area that were related. I'am trying to find a link, my great-great-great grandfather was ADAM KRAMER b.1837, who married MARGURITE WILSON, its possible his father was Jacob Kramer, who married Maria, that is all I have. Of course I have plenty more on the descendants, but I can't get back any further or verify the relationships. Have you heard any of these names? Who knows, its possible that there were 2 Jacob sons to Christian and Lena. The Wilson family was involved in the railroad, as were some of the Kramer family, I found this from census records. I would love to find a link out of the country back to Germany, but no luck so far. Just let me know if anything is familiar, thanks.

Greg Linton

Rebecca Roberts (View posts)
Posted: 26 May 2003 9:14PM GMT
Surnames: Kramer
There were several Jacob Kramer's in the anthracite region of PA in the 1800s. As far as I can tell the lines were not related. The line I am researching immigrated to the area from Germany. The other Jacob Kramers I have seen in the census info were not related.

Posted: 5 Jun 2003 9:31PM GMT
Edited: 29 Jun 2004 7:19PM GMT
Surnames: Kramer, Cramer, James, Miller, Kase, Schatzlein
Here is further information on this Kramer line so that you can tell it apart from the other Kramers in the area. A lot of German immigrants settled in the area, so there were multiple people named Jacob Kramer.

Christian Kramer and Magdalena (Lena) Brown Kramer had 4 sons:Jacob, Christian, Frederick, and George. The first 3 were born in Germany and immigrated with their parents, the last, George, was born in Schuylkill County, PA. They immigrated in 1833. They exist in many of the census records as "Cramer". Lena died in 1852. Christian the elder died in 1853.As far as I can tell, they had no connection to any other Kramers in the area.

Here is a piece from a local history:
From Bell's History of Northumberland County. Page 857.
"JACOB G. KRAMER, ex-sheriff, was born September 20, 1829, and is a son of Christian and Lena (Brown) Kramer. The father came to America in 1833, settling in Schuylkill county, Pennsylvania. He removed to this county in 1853 and died at Trevorton the same year at the age of fifty-
four years, his wife having preceded him to the grave one year. They reared four sons, of whom our subject was the eldest. He was educated in the common schools and worked as miner and superintendent of mines thirty-five years. In 1887 he was elected sheriff of Northumberland county by the Republican party. He was married in Pottsville, Pennsylvania in 1850, to Agnes Griffith. She died in 1877 and was the mother of eight children: Agnes, wife of A. Miller; Maggie; Elmira, wife
of R. James; George; Susannah, wife of John Schatzlein; Louisa, wife of Edward Kase; Emma, and Clinton. He is a Republican, belongs to the Masonic and Odd Fellow fraternities, was for eight years treasurer of the Knights of the Golden Eagle, and is a member of the Lutheran church."

The R. James mentioned as marrying his daughter Elmira (Ella), was Richard James, an immigrant from England and my great-grandfather.

Posted: 1 Aug 2003 2:32AM GMT
Edited: 19 Sep 2003 12:14AM GMT
Surnames: Kramer, Griffiths
Rebecca if you are related to Jacob Kramer...then I can say HI COUSIN !
Be sure to contact me at my e-mail address...nleibold@cox.net I have quite a story to tell you. Agnes Griffith(s) is my maternal g. aunt. I am compiling the Griffiths genealogy and am looking forward to hearing from you. .

david collins (View posts)
Posted: 22 Sep 2003 6:32AM GMT
hi dont know if there is any connnection mygf william christian kramer b 1888 father christian kramer mother mary fouzel kramer. had at least one brother he may have lived dubois pa. gpa moved to wv shrtly after 1900 moved from williamsport pa any help apppreciated o.b.

Gregory Linton (View posts)
Posted: 23 Sep 2003 1:44PM GMT
Sorry, I'm in the dark on going back further on the Kramer line, I don't recognize any of the names you posted, but if I find any connection I will let you know.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic