Search for content in message boards

Vintage Photo Identification

Vintage Photo Identification

Posted: 7 Nov 2012 7:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Please help! I found this photo when my grandfather died. It was stuck behind a picture of himself. My grandfather was biracial and his mother was biracial as well. I believe it is my great great grandparents family. I believe the man in the middle is my great great grandfather. If I can date the picture maybe I can figure out who these people are. Mr great grandmother was born in Wilmington North Carolina in 1876. Thank you!!
Attachments:

Re: Vintage Photo Identification

Posted: 8 Nov 2012 12:09AM GMT
Great photo! I would guess it was taken sometime in the 1880's - 1890's, based on clothing, hairstyles, etc.

Best of luck to you!

Posted: 8 Nov 2012 12:50AM GMT
I agree with Al. I would place it at the late 1880s or early 1890s based on the woman's clothing. Female dress tends to be better for dating than men's because it changes more rapidly.

Someone posted this useful link on a similar thread.

The top of the sleeve is very similar. Around 1890 the fashion was for a very slightly puffed up effect at the top of ths sleeve. This puffing up increased sharply as the 1890s progressed The white collar is almost identical to the example shown on the link for the 1880s.

http://www.rogerco.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/time/time.htm

Posted: 8 Nov 2012 6:13PM GMT
Thank you both very much. Now if I could just figure out who these people are...

Posted: 19 Nov 2012 10:43PM GMT
The mens neck wear is from the civil war period, as is the bodice on the woman's dress.

Posted: 19 Nov 2012 10:54PM GMT
So would you venture to guess the photo was taken between 1860-1865?

Do you know how common or uncommon it was to have a photgrapher in that time period?

Posted: 20 Nov 2012 1:51AM GMT
Sorry, I have to respectfully disagree with the poster above - this is definitely not a Civil War Photo.

The women's bodice has a lower and more sculpted waistline, popular in the 1880s.

Fashion-era.com has lots of helpful information about women's clothing throughout history, but it is based in the UK, so keep that in mind.

The men's clothing absolutely looks to be from the 1880s or 1890s; This website might be helpful - it has photos of men's clothing from 1840s through the 1890's, organized by decade:

http://www.gentlemansemporium.com/1880-victorian-photo-galle...

Photos are such an important part of our research - I hope you are able to solve your photo mystery! :-)

Posted: 26 Nov 2012 3:31AM GMT
IT'S POSSABLE IT MAY BE FROM EUROPE? i'M ON A 5 INCH SCREEN THOUGH. AS FOR WHO THEY ARE, THINK ABOUT YOUR FAMILY TREE.IN OUR TREE FOR EXAMPLE MY GRATE GRANDMOTHER HAD 5 BOYS AND THREE GIRLS,WE HAVE PICTURES WITH HER WITH ANY COMBO OF KIDS, AT ONE TIME OR ANOTHER.ASK OTHERS IN YOUR FAMILY,ASK THEM SOON BEFORE YOU FIND YOUR THE OLDEST GENERATION/IT SUCK UP ON SUE AND I,WE FOUND OUT TO LATE, WE DON'T KNOW HALF THE FAMILY.

Posted: 26 Nov 2012 3:31AM GMT
IT'S POSSABLE IT MAY BE FROM EUROPE? i'M ON A 5 INCH SCREEN THOUGH. AS FOR WHO THEY ARE, THINK ABOUT YOUR FAMILY TREE.IN OUR TREE FOR EXAMPLE MY GRATE GRANDMOTHER HAD 5 BOYS AND THREE GIRLS,WE HAVE PICTURES WITH HER WITH ANY COMBO OF KIDS, AT ONE TIME OR ANOTHER.ASK OTHERS IN YOUR FAMILY,ASK THEM SOON BEFORE YOU FIND YOUR THE OLDEST GENERATION/IT SUCK UP ON SUE AND I,WE FOUND OUT TO LATE, WE DON'T KNOW HALF THE FAMILY.

Posted: 26 Nov 2012 3:35AM GMT
IT'S POSSABLE IT MAY BE FROM EUROPE? i'M ON A 5 INCH SCREEN THOUGH. AS FOR WHO THEY ARE, THINK ABOUT YOUR FAMILY TREE.IN OUR TREE FOR EXAMPLE MY GRATE GRANDMOTHER HAD 5 BOYS AND THREE GIRLS,WE HAVE PICTURES WITH HER WITH ANY COMBO OF KIDS, AT ONE TIME OR ANOTHER.ASK OTHERS IN YOUR FAMILY,ASK THEM SOON BEFORE YOU FIND YOUR THE OLDEST GENERATION/IT SNUCK UP ON SUE AND I,WE FOUND OUT TO LATE, WE DON'T KNOW HALF THE FAMILY.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic