Search for content in message boards

Frederick Henry Knupple

Frederick Henry Knupple

Posted: 4 Aug 2009 7:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 5 Aug 2009 5:49PM GMT
Surnames: Knupple, Crow
My grandfather was Fredrick Henry Knupple, born 5 Nov, 1850, in Heldersheim, Hanover, Germany. At lease that is the information my mother left in her effects at her passing. He died February 28, 1913, and is buried in Smithfield cemetery, Cache County, Utah. I have been unable to find any information on any siblings or his parents. It is my understanding that he was a miller. Does this sound familiar to anyone and can you help me?
His children are Catherine Grace Knupple (Doulglas) and Dorothy Marie Knupple (Evans), and his wife was Laura Audell (Della) Crow.

Re: Frederick Henry Knupple

Posted: 14 Aug 2009 9:24PM GMT
Hi ... I think there may be several misspellings or misinterpretations in the information you have got from your grandfather.
In my opinion, the original German name must have been Knüppel. This is a more or less common name in the region of Hildesheim. That's a city in the vicinity of Hannover. I think there is no town or village by the name of Heldersheim in the Hannover area (or perhaps even anywhere else). But Hildesheim is a very old town in that region.
As you have your grandfather's birth date you might be able to find more about his parents in the church registers of Hildesheim. You should know whether he was born catholic or protestant. Although in the Northern part of Germany the majority of the population is protestant a bigger share of the population in the Hildesheim area is catholic.

Posted: 15 Aug 2009 12:28PM GMT
Another thing I forgot to mention in my last post...

The were two reasons why I have got interested in your post:

1. your spelling of the name Knupple and your mentioning the region of Hannover... in fact, a name spelled Knupple is more or less uncommon in the northern part of Germany... the ending le would almost for certain indicate that the person is from southern Germany. So that made me assume that the original spelling might have been Knüppel. This name - as already mentioned - is quite common in northern Germany.

2. I am living in the vicinity of Peine which is a small city about 25 kilometers northeast of Hildesheim. In Peine existed a place called Knüppels Mühle (Knüppel's mill). At that place there was a water mill until about the fifies of last century (now there is a residence for senior citizens).
So I was also looking for documents in the online archive of the Niedersachsen Staatsarchiv. Besides finding documents on this Knüppels Mühle in Peine I also found an entry about a document dated 1855.. saying:
Gesuch des Mühlenbesitzers H. Knüppel zu Hasede um Aufhebung des über die Klickmühle führenden Fußweges (meaning something like: Petition of the miller H. Knüppel to close the footpath leading by Klick Mill).
Hasede - now part of the township of Giesen - is a small village situated between Hildesheim and Hannover.

So all this may be coincidence ... but nevertheless it might be correct that your ancestor was a miller or descended from a family of millers.

Posted: 15 Aug 2009 12:31PM GMT
small correction of the translation:

Petition of the miller H. Knüppel from Hasede to close the footpath leading by Klick Mill
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions