Search for content in message boards

John/Johan Nordland/Norland

John/Johan Nordland/Norland

Posted: 12 Feb 2012 8:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi, I''m looking any info or descendants of John_Norland. He was maybe born 31.12.1846 in Finland and died 1885 in jailhouse. Family lived close to the Minneapoli Chingle Street's brickyard.
"emailrauno59@gmail.com" word email is part of the address.

Re: John/Johan Nordland/Norland

Posted: 14 Feb 2012 12:43AM GMT
I find news articles about him. Do you have access to these?

An April 10, 1885 article about his death states: He was a Finlander, about thirty-five years old, and had a wife in Kilkenny. There is a town called Kilkenny in Le Sueur County, Minnesota.

Beth
not related

Posted: 14 Feb 2012 7:36AM GMT
No, unfortunately I have no access. I already have some information and a lot rumors, but this is new.

Posted: 16 Feb 2012 7:46PM GMT
I found this:
http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/
Where rhis article was?
I found a lot from St. Paul daily globe, but nothing about family.

Posted: 16 Feb 2012 9:52PM GMT
Yes, you can see much of the same information I found in various subscription sites by searching the LOC Chronicling America newspapers website. He is found under the name John NORLAND.

The only information I have found for any family is from the Duluth News-Tribune newspaper, April 10, 1885, page 1.
In part: "Waisanen was afterwards captured in Minneapolis and Norland at Kilkenny.... He and Waisanen were to have been tried at the coming term of the district court... He was a Finlander, about thirty-five years old, and had a wife in Kilkenny."

In the 1885 Minnesota state census, I find a Cora NORLAND, age 29, born Finland, and son John, 4, born Norway. They are living with several others in one 'household' in Crytal Lake, Hennepin County. This is the ONLY time I find these two individuals in any U.S. records.

Posted: 17 Feb 2012 10:28PM GMT
Thank You very much for this info! Now I try to use Norwegian archives to find his son. I found that Duluth News-Tribune wrote June 28. 1885 something about Norland's history. Maybe it is about John Norland? Unfortunately I can't see it enough. Can you help?

Posted: 18 Feb 2012 12:38AM GMT
The June 28, 1885 newspaper article in the Duluth Times talks about Norland's crimes in Finland and refers to a name change:

JOHN NORLAND

His Crime in Finland and His Escape From Punishment - Why He Committed Suicide.
Fond Du Lac, June 27.

Editor Tribune: Since the forty days for which Waisenen was remanded to await the action of the governor expired, there has been quite a speculation on the part of the Finlanders here as to the final action that will be taken in his case. There are several Finns here who were personally acquainted with Norland in the old country, and one of them, Joseph Erickson by name, gave me the following of Norland's history: Norland was convicted in Finland for the murder of a postmaster there, and while lying in prison feigned sickness and through the influence of his father, and his money, who, by the way, was well-to-do, his, Norland's, death and burial occured; but in place of Norland the coffin contained stone to make it heavy and represent a corpse, was incased and buried, while the real Norland was spirited away to this country, where he afterwards lived, except for a short time, when he made a visit to Norway, his father sending him money. At one time he sent him $500. Norland expressed to his friends that he would hang himself, and that if he could not do so in Duluth he would when he got to Stillwater, and that he had committed so many crimes that he had no peace of mind, and that his conscience troubled him so that he would rather end his miserable life than to have it prolonged. His real name was John Hollin [unfortunately, that name is hard to read, might say Holdin], but on arriving in America he adopted the name of Norland to avoid detection. Those knowing him seem to think he, of the two, was the most to blame for Farley's death, but do not exhonorate Waisenen, and seem to think him deserving any punishment he may get.

[signed] X

I find the following, although it is not specifically about John's family:

Freeborn County Standard
Albert Lea, Minnesota
January 14, 1885

Facts concerning the past life of John Norland the accomplice of Wiseman [sic] in the murder of Joseph Farley, says a Duluth dispatch, have come to light through a Finlander, who knew Norland in Finland, and divulged the story to John Lunberg, proprietor of the Pacific house in this city. Six years ago Norland murdered a mail carrier in Finland, and after committing the crime cut open the bag, at the same time cutting off the thumb and forefinger in his haste.

Posted: 18 Feb 2012 12:40AM GMT
By the way: I own a book about Finns in Minnesota, but I can't read it as it is in Finish! I bought it at used book sale. There is no name index in the back, making it a bit difficult to search through. I will see whether I might find something in it.

Posted: 18 Feb 2012 7:05AM GMT
Vow, This is new version for story of this man. He got capital punishment in Finland but it was changed to internal exile to Siberia. After that everything is under stories. He is told to escape back to Finland, Norway and then to USA. He didn't lost fingers in Finland (it is also told happened during mining accident in US) and was not buried either.

Posted: 18 Feb 2012 6:48PM GMT
This is the story one man told about Norland. It could be that Norland didn't tell him the truth, or that the man didn't tell the newspaper reporter the truth.

What was him Finnish name?

Do you know whether the Cora and John Norland in the 1885 Minnesota census is his wife and son? I can't find them in later records.

Beth
not related
per page

Find a board about a specific topic