Search for content in message boards

James Henry SMITH 1861-1940 & wife Mary Ann MOLSEED of East Hamilton

James Henry SMITH 1861-1940 & wife Mary Ann MOLSEED of East Hamilton

Posted: 6 Apr 2008 8:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 Sep 2008 9:33AM GMT
Surnames: SMITH, SINCLAIR, MOLSEED, CLARK
Searching for info about the SMITH family form ONTARIO & MOLESEED family of CA. Especially parental info on James Henry Smith & his connection with business partner SINCLAIR.

JAMES HENRY SMITH
born 1861 in Ontario
married California?
Partner with GEORGE MERRICK SINCLAIR 1858-1916.
LAW FIRM IN SEDRO-WOOLLEY,WA? MT.VERNON,WA?
Died Skagit County 02-20-1940

MARY ANN MOLSEED
born about 1868 in California.
Died about 1937(Skagit Co?).

CHILDREN(all born in WA?):

MARY JANE "JENNIE" Smith

ANNA Smith married LELAND CLARK

FRANCIS Smith born about 1906.

GERTRUDE E Smith

JAMES DEWEY Smith born about 1900.

EMMA E Smith born about 1902.

Also looking for info about the Mt. Vernon Mercantile Co.(Pape & Estep-employees).

And reference in Skagit History book(1906) about a "TINKY" SMITH who was arrested for robbery or crime regarding of saloon in Mt. Vernon.

What was his(TINKY's) given name?
Was he related to SMITH or SINCLAIR?

Kelly Arellano
kellarlln@aol.com

Re: James Henry SMITH 1861-1940 & wife Mary Ann MOLSEED of East Hamilton

Posted: 5 May 2008 5:13AM GMT
Surnames: Molseed, Smith
Hi Kelly, I first found this family in 1900 in Hamilton, Skagit Co., WA. James H. Smith, head household, b. May 1860, Canada (Fr.), immigrated 1867, naturalized before 1900, marr 7 yrs, druggist; wife Mary A., b. Oct 1868, CA had given birth to 3 children who were alive in 1900; Jennie, dau, b. Oct 1894, WA; Gertrude, b. June 1896, WA and Jim Dewey, b. April 1898, WA.

A James Dewey Smith b. 20 April 1898, Skagit Co., father=J. H. Smith and mother=Mary Malseed. Source: WA Birth Index.

In 1910 the family was living in Hamilton. James H., b. Canada Eng., 49 yrs old, marr 17 yrs, druggist drug store; Mary A., b. CA, 41, given birth to 6 children & 5 were alive in 1910; Mary J, b. WA, 15; Gertrude E., B. WA, 13; James D., b. WA, 10; Emma, b. WA, 8 and Francis (dau) b. WA, 4.

A James Dewey Smith was living in Hamilton Sept. 12, 1918 when he filled out his WWI Draft Reg. card. He was b. 20 April 1898 and was a student, Wash. State College, Pullman. Nearest relative=father, J. H. Smith, Hamilton; tall & slender with brown eyes & light brown hair.

In 1920 James and Mary Smith & children were living in East Hamilton, Skagit Co., WA. James H., druggist own store; wife Mary A., b. CA, 58; Mary J. (dau), b. WA, 25, cashier state bank; Gertrude, b. WA, 23, clerk drug store; James S., b. WA, 21; Emma M. b. WA, 18 and Frances E. E. b. WA, 13.

In 1930 the family was still living in East Hamilton. James H. pharmacist drug store; wife Mary; Mary Jane (dau), single b. WA, 35, cashier bank; Dewey, single, b. WA, 31, salesman drug store and Emma, b. WA, 29, pharmacist drug store.

An Emma Smith died 20 Feb 1993 Bellingham, age-91, b. abt. 1902, Residence=Bellingham per death cert #007226. Source: WA Death Index.

You can obtain an obituary for anyone who died in WA and had an obit printed by contacting the State Library, http://www.secstate.wa.gov/library/ask.aspx . They will look up the obit in the newspaper archives for 30 minutes at no charge & reply with what they find.

The family info matches but it looks like James Henry was a druggist and not a lawyer unless he switched professions after 1930.

The Skagit Valley Gen. Soc. might be able to answer your other questions, www.rootsweb.com/~wasvgs/ . Successful Hunting!

Posted: 12 Sep 2008 4:22AM GMT
Hi Kelly,
James Dewey Smith was my grandfather. Unfortunately I did not see the original question. What information were you seeking?

Posted: 24 Jun 2012 1:36PM GMT
Hi. I descend from Thomas Smith-Harriet Smith Kamb-Harriet Kamb Massar. I just noticed these postings and am wondering if you can fill in a blank I have. What info can you give me about your parents. The info I have about your grandfather is that his wife was Dorothy "Dottie", but I dont know her maiden name or when they married. Also the info I have indicates that they only had one child Judy. How accurate is this? My aunt Margaret Kamb Sullivan did all of her research years ago (before computers). I think that may make us cousins of some degree. Im happy to "meet" you. Thanks.

Posted: 25 Jun 2012 7:09PM GMT
Yes my Grandfather James Dewey Smith was Married to Dorthy Clara Dubuque they married just before they adopted my mother Judie Ann in 1944. Mom was born in January 1944 and adopted in August 1944. We're not certain of the adoption and marriage dates, I'll look into that for you.

Posted: 26 Jun 2012 1:28PM GMT
Hi, and thanks! My maternal grandmother and your grandfather James Dewey SMith were first cousins. WIth your info, I have found the following info...if I have the right people. Let me know if I have this correct so far. Clara Hilda "Dorothy" Dubuque was born April 30, 1900 to Nelson and Clara (Harrier) Dubuque. A twin brother was also born, Clarence Nelson Dubuque but it doesnt seem that he lived beyond 1910. THere were several other siblings. Dorothy doesn't seem to be her birth name but a nickname or a name used by the 1910 census. I cannot find any marriage record in Washington. Do you know if they were married or lived elsewhere? My aunt Margaret (Kamb) Sullivan did a family genealogy book (before computers) and did not have much info about your family. She did list that James and Dorothy had an adopted daughter named Judy but listed her birth as 1925 with is apparantly a mistake. Your info would be great to add to the tree I am building. Did you grow up near Mt. Vernon and did you know any of the other Smiths or Kambs of the family? I was born in 1954 to Harriet (Kamb) and Bill Massar and grew up in Mt Vernon. I now live in Chico CA. Do you have pics of your grandparents you would be willing to email to me? ALso feel free to look thru the tree I have built. I have lots of pics and info. Thanks so much for your response.
Kathie
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions