Search for content in message boards

Coleman's from Amelia

Coleman's from Amelia

Posted: 14 Jan 2003 6:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Coleman
My Line appears to be William Coleman probably born around 1720 or 30 then Abraham (1754) in Amelia VA, then William Scott Coleman(1802)in Amelia VA, then Thomas Jefferson Coleman (1826) in Dickson Tennessee...... and so on to me. I have only substantiated back to Abraham because of an old Bible record. Abraham married first Elizabeth and had children:

Daniel (1785)
Braxton (1789)
Willaim Scott Coleman (1802)

Does anyone connect with this line or have any further info to share?

Re: Coleman's from Amelia

Posted: 3 Aug 2003 11:54PM GMT
Edited: 28 Dec 2003 8:28PM GMT
My information is that William Coleman, who was born about 1720, based upon the fact that he was listed in the 1740 and 1749 Amelia tithable lists, was the son of William Coleman and Faith Godfrey. William, Jr. was listed in father's will as receiving 200 acres of land. His siblings were (order of birth uncertain): Frances (probably about the oldret), married Robert Tucker, Jr.; Robert, (probably the oldest son as he was named as executor of his father's estate; married Ann Hinton; Joseph, married Elizabeth ___; Daniel, who married Elizabeth ___; William, who married Frances [Archer?]; Godfrey (who was unmarried); and Peter, who married Martha Archer. Your William and his brother Peter interited their brother Godrey's estate.
Some details of the early Coleman family are included in the book: "Robert Coleman of Mobjack Bay, Virginia."

Will share further details later if you're interested.

Cass Johnson (View posts)
Posted: 4 Aug 2003 11:24AM GMT
Scotty,

Thank You for your reply. I am curious were your name Scotty come from.

Since I made that post I have mad a few interesting discoveries. Daniel b ~1775 is probably not the son of Abraham but a cousin. My Daniel (~1775) is probably the son of Daniel b ~(1730) his will was probated around 1819. I haven't seen the will yet but my cousin Jane Fagan sent me an interesting possibility. My Daniel (1775) named his daughter Fatha Coleman. I think he named her for his sister. That is an unusual name. The Daniel b (1730) had a daugher named Fatha. Here is the line.

1. William Coleman (husband of Faith Godfrey) d. 1744-45 in Amelia Co., VA.

2. Daniel Coleman, b. abt 1698-d. Bef. 16 Feb 1789 in Amelia Co., VA.
(wife's Elizabeth _____)

3. Daniel Coleman, b. 1731, d. Bef. 28 Oct 1819 in Amelia Co., VA He had a doughter named Fatha.
(wife's name unknown)

4. Daniel Coleman, b.abt 1775 d. Bet. 1837 - 1840 in Hickman Co., KY
(first wife's name unknown - could be Sally Howard, second wife Jane ___)

My ancestor is William Scott Coleman born in 1802 in Amelia.

If you can shed any light on this I woudl be grateful.

Cass

Posted: 16 Aug 2003 9:21PM GMT
Edited: 28 Dec 2003 8:28PM GMT
Dear Cass,
I have no further info on the Daniel Coleman, who was born about 1730/1 in Amelia Co., VA. Have you seen the booklet "The Robert Coleman Family fro Mobjack Bah VA to Reno, Nevada and Hollywood" by James W. Coleman" ? There might be some clues in it for you. I only have a few pages copied from this book.
The name of Scotty is a nickname of my middle name of Scott, which was my maternal frandmother's maiden name. That family originally settled in Braintree, Mass. bef. 1640.

Scotty Coleman

Posted: 12 Dec 2010 1:58AM GMT
I am very interested in info on Daniel Coleman b. 1775 Amelia Co, VA d. btw 1830-1840 Hickman Co., KY...my G Grandfather Isaac Coleman b. 1797 VA, was in Hickman Co., KY at this same time...He is listed in the 1840 Census with his wife Christy and 5 children...because of the birthdates of the two men, I think that Daniel may have been Isaac's Uncle...I am trying to determine who Isaac's parents were and what his wife Christy's maiden name was...would greatly appreciate and info.

Posted: 12 Dec 2010 3:52AM GMT
The only Isaac I have was the son of Peter Coleman. Peter was Daniel's Great Uncle. I do not have much on him but he would have been to old to have been this Isaac. Do know what state he was born in and where he lived before 1840?

Posted: 12 Dec 2010 3:20PM GMT
Isaac was born 1797 in VA...I think Amelia County...this is all information that my mother left me...I have no idea where he was before he went to Hickman County...he could have possibly been in Dickson Couty, TN since that is where Daniel Coleman was before he went to KY, but I'm not sure...I just have a feeling they may have been traveling together since they are the only Colemans I find in Hickman County KY in 1840...is it possible that Isaac may have been a middle name that he went by?

Posted: 12 Dec 2010 8:18PM GMT
Daniel was born about 1771 so it is possible that he had a son named Issac but not probable. He married in 1801 to Susannah Overton and had sons William Scott Coleman and Moses Coleman They were both born in Mecklenburg Co Va. Susannah died about 1803 and Daniel married Jane Unkown from NC They had Daniel R Coleman in 1809 he was born in Rutherford Co., TN and in 1811 they moved to Dickson Co., TN. If Isaac was born in 1797 he would have been of age in 1818 and could have moved away from the family. But as far as I can see he was never associated with Daniel in the early years. I do have somwhere in my files a reference to another Coleman Family that lived in Hickman County. I will try and find the info.

Posted: 17 Apr 2013 3:00PM GMT
I am working on finding info on Isaac Coleman from Hickman County Kentucky and later Bond County Illinois.

His re-enlistment document have him being born/from Mecklenburg county, Virginia. In the 1819 he was in the Army around the Nashville and Murfreesboro Tennessee area.

If you have any additional info I would greatly appreciate it.

Posted: 18 Apr 2013 12:15PM GMT
Edited: 18 Apr 2013 12:38PM GMT
This is very interesting. depending on Isaac's age I would say he is the son or Grandson of Solomon Coleman from Amelia County VA. I would look there first. My initial post here needs to be modified because new discoveries have been made. I will edit it as soon as I can get to it but suffice to say that the only thing that would change is that Abraham is not my line rather his brother Daniel is my line and you may descend from Abraham or Peter. I will see what I can find. Can you tell me a little more about your Isaac?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions