Search for content in message boards

Location? Keeraun, Rahoon

Location? Keeraun, Rahoon

Posted: 3 Mar 2008 7:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Conneely
We're planning our third trip to Ireland and this time we'd like to do some lookups on my husband's family. They are Conneely's from Keeraun, Rahoon, Galway.

Was Rahoon a parish in the mid-1800's and if so what would have been the name of the Catholic Church? What would have been the civil parish so we can check the Griffith's Valuation? Was and is Keeraun just a small area of Rahoon?

Where geographically is Keeraun, Rahoon?

Thanks for any help Marie

Re: Location? Keeraun, Rahoon

Posted: 16 Feb 2011 5:35AM GMT
Keeraun townland is a couple of miles west of Galway town, on the Rahoon Rd. The Rahoon Roman Cath church records are microfilmed on LDS film 0926069. I have extracted some Conneely records. Please email reed0113@umn.edu to exchange info.

Posted: 17 Feb 2011 2:23PM GMT
Surnames: McGrath, Hackett, Carrol
Pardon me for butting in, but my ancestors are McGraths and Hacketts from Rahoon Parish. The place names associated with them are: Salthill, Knockaranny, Blackrock, Bathinghouse, Cappanveagh, and Moycullen (this last one might be a parish).

May I ask if you have come across any of these place names on the CD you cited? Thanks.

Posted: 27 Aug 2011 10:18PM GMT
These place names are very common in the Rahoon Parish Registry microfilm noted above.

Posted: 5 Jan 2012 4:07PM GMT
My great grandmother was a conneely from keeraun - she was married to john folan and my grandmother was margaret folan

Posted: 5 Jan 2012 10:29PM GMT
Do you know your ggrandmother's first name? Approximately when she was born?
My husband's ggrandfather was John, born about 1850. He married a Mary Naughton (sp.?). They had 6 children that we know of: James, Michael, Delia, Patrick, John and Thomas.

Posted: 6 Jan 2012 1:07PM GMT
my great grandmother was bridget conneely and she married john folan from keeraun also who was a farmer. My grandmother , margaret was born in 1895 and she was the oldest so I would expect that bridget was born around 1875?

I don't know a lot other than they moved to Galway around 1900 and my grandmother moved to the boston area around 1910 - 1915.

Posted: 15 Apr 2012 12:05PM GMT
Surnames: Connolly/Conneelly/Fullerton/Killeen
Hi, I would be interested in any information you have! I am decended from John through Michael. I have been unable to find information on Mary Naughton or John.

Thank you!!

Posted: 25 Jun 2012 1:25PM GMT
There is still quite a strong simi-rural community in Keeraun. There are still some conneely's there. You will fing more info from 1911 at www.census.nationalarchives.ie and do a search for Keeraun Barna. or just Keeraun Galway. As i said, there are still some Conneely there so even making contact to find out more shouldnt be too hard

Posted: 22 Jul 2012 12:10PM GMT
I'm from Keeraun (and still live there). My mother is a Conneely. My aunt lives next door in what would be the Conneely homestead. Before the Conneelys lived in this house, they lived in a smaller house on the same plot of land. The ruins are still there.
I would be very happy to give you any information you're looking for.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic