Search for content in message boards

Hanna Froslie b. 1863 Norway

Hanna Froslie b. 1863 Norway

Posted: 3 Dec 2012 7:12PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am searching for information about Hanna Christoffersdatter Engebretsen, born 6th January 1863 in Norway, who emigrated to Minnesota in 1882. I found a Hanna Froslie in several censuses and records, who immigrated in 1882 and was born around 1863. But I find no marriage record which would indicate what her maiden name is. Her husband is Norwegian born Olaus Froslie (the names have various spellings in the different Ancestry records) and he must have married Hanna about 1884. Would be delighted if anyone could find a marriage record for this couple, or give me any more information on Hanna's origins.

"United States Census, 1900"

name: Hanna Fresley (most probably FROSLIE)
titles & terms:
event: Census
event date: 1900
event place: ED 294 Atherton, Deerhorn & Prairie View Townships, Wilkin, Minnesota, United States
birth date: Jan 1863
birthplace: Norway
relationship to head of household: Wife
father's birthplace: Norway
mother's birthplace: Norway
race or color (standardized): White
marital status: Married
years married: 16
estimated marriage year: 1884
mother how many children: 8
number living children: 7
immigration year: 1882
page: 3
sheet letter: B
family number: 47
reference number: 88
film number: 1240796
digital folder number: 004120322
image number: 00892
Household Gender Age Birthplace
head Clus (Olaus?) Fresley M 42 Norway
wife Hanna Fresley F 37 Norway
daughter Selina Fresley F 15 Minnesota
son Edwin Fresley M 14 Minnesota
daughter Caroline Fresley F 13 Minnesota
son Joseph Fresley M 11 Minnesota
son Oliva Fresley M 8 Minnesota
son Johonnas Fresley M 6 Minnesota
son Arthur Fresley M 2 Minnesota
Citing this Record

"United States Census, 1900," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M9QW-B9T : accessed 03 Dec 2012), Hanna Fresley in household of Clus Fresley, ED 294 Atherton, Deerhorn & Prairie View Townships, Wilkin, Minnesota, United States; citing sheet 3B, family 47, NARA microfilm publication T623, FHL microfilm 1240796.

With thanks and best wishes from Norway, M. Strand

Re: Hanna Froslie b. 1863 Norway

Posted: 4 Dec 2012 1:43AM GMT
Edited: 4 Dec 2012 1:58AM GMT
Searching the Minnesota Death Certificates Index found at the Minnesota Historical Society, there is a possible last name found for the mother of some of the children listed in your posted census for FROSLIE:

Birth dates from 1900 census, mother's maiden name from Death Certificates Index:

Selina April 1885 not found
Edwin April 1886 mother's name left blank
Caroline Nov 1887 not found
Joseph Oct 1889 not found
Oliva May 1892 Oliver, same birth date: Johnson
Johonnas Aug 1894 John, same birth date: Johnson
Arthur May 1898 not found

Mother Hanna / Hannah FROSLIE is not found in the index.

*** I should have checked Ancestry.com for a family tree including this family. Olaus E. FROSLIE is listed as marrying Hannah J. MISUNDSTAD.

Sorry I couldn't be of help.

Beth
not related

Posted: 5 Dec 2012 12:54AM GMT
I wonder if this could be her death record from 1921 in Fergus Falls, Minnesota:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FD38-74B

Looks like a son Oliver also lived in Fergus Falls on the 1930 census. She is also listed in the Minnesota Death Index and you could send for a copy of that.

There is also a Selena Froslie in the Alien Registration records.
http://www.mndiscoverycenter.com/research/

I see they have a daughter Selena and don't know if this is the same one. If it is the right one, she would not have been born in the United States, and possible the marriage took place in Norway.

Hope this info may help

Leslie

Posted: 2 Feb 2013 11:57PM GMT
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/V4ZK-WSQ

name: Mrs. Hannah O.E. Fraslie
suffix:
event: Death
event date: 23 Oct 1921
event place: Otter Tail, Minnesota
birth date:
birthplace:
born in minnesota:
reference number: 337731
certificate number: 009921
certificate year: 1921
state file name: 009921
registration batch: NF152DO
typed or handwriten: H

It seems like Hannah Froslie, Fraslie, Freslie lived in both Wilkin County and in Otter Tail County. They both have historical societies you could write to for information.

Here is a website showing all of the various Minnesota County historical societies.
http://www.mnhs.org/localhistory/mho/chsclo.html

WILKIN COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY
704 Nebraska Avenue
Breckenridge, MN 56520
218-643-1303
Curator/Treasurer: Ruth Poppel
Hours: 1:30 to 4 p.m. Tuesday through Thursday all year, 1:30 to 4 p.m. Sundays June through August, and by appointment

You will probably have to send Wilkin County a letter. No website listed.

Otter Tail County:
OTTER TAIL COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY
1110 West Lincoln
Fergus Falls, MN 56537
218-736-6038
Fax: 218-739-3075
otchs.prtel.com
Director: Chris Schuelke
www.otchs.org

Posted: 3 Feb 2013 5:44AM GMT
Anybody able to take a look at this tree?

Hannah Marie Johnson
born 1865 Norway
died Otter Tail County, Minnesota, USA
Dyrland/Henke Family Tree
Ancestry.com

or this one:

Olaus E. Froslie
born 1858 Norway
died Minnesota
Eggum/Froslie Family Tree
Ancestry.com

Otter Tail County, Minnesota
Olaus E. Froeslie 52 born about 1858
Hannah Froeslie 47 born about 1863
Selma 25
Caroline 22
John 16
Austin 11 6
Nora M 5
Clarence O 4

BIRTH RECORD from www.mnhs.org/
FROSLIE, CLARENCE ORVILLE
Date of Birth: 17 APR 1906
Wilken County, Minnesota
Mother Maiden Name: TROSLE

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 12:27AM GMT
Edited: 21 Aug 2013 7:18PM GMT
Maybe margastra1 is no longer interested as she has not looked again at this thread.

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 2:10AM GMT
It is possible that the emails that notify Margastra1 of the replies we have posted accidentally have gone to the junk mailbox on their email. I don't subscribe to ancestry.com, but if someone does, you can send them a message through ancestry, letting them know there have been several replies to the query they posted.

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 7:19PM GMT
Hi! Sorry for delay in replying, I've just come home from abroad, but the first information Beth sent helped me eliminate Hanna Froslie as the Hanna Ingebretsen my friend was interested in - I sent it on to him and thought he would follow up the correspondence. He believes that his relative Hanna may have died in the great Hinckley fire in 1894, as family members had commented that there was no communication from her after that date, but he wished nevertheless to look for alternative Hannas in case Hanna Engebretsen had married and changed her name, possibly moved away. But Beth's entry showed Hanna Froslie's maiden name to have been Johnson and/or Misundstad.
I checked the farms Misundstad in the 1865 census of Norway to see if there was a Hanna Johnson (Johnsdatter) there, but there was not. But she could have moved around from farm to farm as a servant before she emigrated, and But I did manage to find Olaus' emigration recorded in a Norwegian database:
43916 Oslo 237A 1878 April 19 Olaus Eriksen Frøislien m u Arbeider 20 Hjevnager Iowa 1423 Norge Kr.928.55 Angelo
This shows that he was from Jevnaker in Oppland district. He is also unmarried (u) a tthe time of his emigration, so problably married in the US. Judging from his name and age, the most probable hit in the 1865 census of Jevnaker is the following:

Tellingsår: 1865
Kommune: Jevnaker
Kommunenummer: 0532
Navn på bosted: Søbraaten

Antall personer registrert på bostedet: 7
Navn Familie-stilling Sivil-stand Yrke Fødselsår Fødested Etnisitet
Erik Johnsen hf g Husm. m. Jord 1834 Jevnaker
Sigri Olsdatter Hans Kone g 1831 Jevnaker
Johannes Eriksen Deres Søn ug 1857 Jevnaker
Olaus Eriksen Deres Søn ug 1858 Jevnaker
Carl Eriksen Deres Søn ug 1863 Jevnaker
Lise Eriksdatter Deres Datter ug 1855 Jevnaker
Maria Eriksdatter Deres Datter ug 1860 Jevnaker

AS you see he is not residing on the farm Frøsli (which is also in Jevnaker) in 1865, but on Søbraaten, but could have moved to Frøsli to work before he emigrated. I suggest you contact the Hadeland Lag of America http://www.hadelandlag.org/ who have a message board and know a bit about research in the Jevnaker area.

I hope this is some help to you. Best wishes, M. Strand

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 7:50PM GMT
Hanna would have been 40 years old in 1905; it in conceivable (pun intended) that she may have had a child around that year.

I checked the online Minnesota Birth Certificates Index found on the Minnesota Historical Society website for children with a mother whose maiden name was ENGEBRETSEN, using the exact spelling. I then searched for these children in census records to determine the name of their mother. Unfortunately, there are very few pre-1900 births in the database:

1904 REITMANN, Lottie, Goodhue County. mother: Ida, born Norway 1873

1904 ENGELSON, Victor, Swift County. mother: Anna, born Norway 1864. Emigrated (per 1910 census) 1885. Her name on the 1900 census was given as Audriana (spelling?), birth date September 1864.

1905 IVERSON, Beatrice, Hennepin County. mother: Probably Anna, born about 1871 Norway, emigrated 1904. [not certain this is the correct mother for this Beatrice IVERSON]

1906, GULLIKSEN, Olive, Marshall County. mother: Anna, born about 1875 Norway, arrived 1882.

1909 HANSON, Mabel, Lyon County (not certain of parentage)

1909 NJOES, Babe, Hennepin County. mother: Amanda, born Minnesota 1890.

I did not search later years or variations of the name of ENGEBRETSEN.

Beth
not related

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 7:57PM GMT
No Ancestry.com family tree with a Hanna, Hannah, or Anna with the exact birthdate of your Hanna.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions