Search for content in message boards

Hugh H. Brown (& Francis), Minnie Lee (Brown) Riley (& Noble), Bertha M. (Brown) Cooper (& William)

Hugh H. Brown (& Francis), Minnie Lee (Brown) Riley (& Noble), Bertha M. (Brown) Cooper (& William)

Posted: 31 Jan 2007 10:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: BROWN, PATE, COOPER, RILEY, WARD, PRINCE
Searching for the family of Hugh H. Brown and Francis (Fannie) Brown and their children: Bertha (Brown) Cooper, Nora Brown, Sarah (Brown) Prince, Henry Brown, Julia Ann Brown, Minnie Lee (Brown) Riley, Samuel M. Brown, James Brown, and Rubie Brown.

I am also searching for the family of Danison G. Brown (also known as Danson, Dennison and Daniel). His middle name is probably Gadberry. He is the son of Annanias and Nancy (Puckett) Brown.

Danison G. Brown was born in South Carolina about 1849. Danison’s wife’s maiden name was probably Rachael Pate. Danison and Rachael had two known children, Rachael C. and Hugh H. Brown. Danison’s wife Rachael was older than him, and more than likely she died sometime between the 1880 census and 1900 census. Danison is listed as a widower in 1900.

Danison’s daughter, Rachael (Caroline?) Brown’s husband was John S. Ward; their only known child was a daughter named Rachael A. Ward (her father was of American Indian Heritage).

Danison’s son Hugh H. Brown’s wife was Francis. Hugh’s known children are: Bertha, Nora, Sarah, Henry, Julia Ann, Minnie (Mima), Samuel, James and Rubie.

This family appears in census records as follows:

1850 Union County South Carolina
Annanias Brown, Age 28 – Born SC
Nancy Brown, Age 27 – Born SC
Noah Brown, Age 8 – Born SC
Mary Brown, Age 3 – Born SC
Danison Brown, Age 1 – Born SC

1860 Sevier County Tennessee (Harrisburg Dist 4)
Amos Brown, Age 36 – Born SC
Nancy Brown, Age 36 – Born SC
Noah Brown, Age 18 – Born SC
Mary Brown, Age 14 – Born SC
Denison Brown, Age 12- Born SC
Amanda Brown, Age 12- Born TN
Leander Brown, Age 5- Born TN
Martha Brown, Age 3- Born TN
Jemima Brown, Age 6 ½ Months – Born TN

Notes: Census taker mistakenly recorded “Amos” rather than “Annanias”

1870 Jefferson County Tennessee (Post Office Dandridge)
Daniel Brown, Age 21- Born SC
Rachael C. Brown, Age 38 – Born TN
Rachael M.E. Brown, Age 1 – Born TN
Rachael Pate, Age 73 – Born TN

1880 Lawrence County Missouri – Ozark
Danson G. Brown, Age 32 – Born TN (Head of household)
Rachel C. Brown, Age 48 – Born TN (Wife)
Caroline Brown, Age 10 – Born TN (Daughter)
Hugh H. Brown, Age 8 – Born MO (Son)

Notes: The daughter Rachael in the 1870 census is probably one in the same as “Caroline” listed in 1880. She probably went by Caroline because her mother and grandmother’s names were Rachael.

1900 - Township 3, North Range 10 East / Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
Enumerated: June 20, 1900
Daniel Brown Age 52, Born Dec 1847 TN (Head of Household) Widowed/Farmer/Father born SC/ Mother Born SC
Rachael C. Ward Age 30, Born Sept 1869 MO (Daughter of Head) Married 2, Married 3 years, Mother of one child, with one child still alive in 1900, Father Born TN, Mother Born TN
Rachael A. Ward Age 2, Born June 1898 - Indian Territory (Granddaughter) Father Born Indian Territory, Mother Born MO

Enumerated: June 21, 1900
Daniel G. Brown Age 57, Born Dec 1843 TN (Head of Household) Widowed/Farmer/Father born SC/ Mother Born SC
Rachael C. Ward Age 30, Born Sept 1869 MO (Daughter of Head) Married 3 years, Mother of one child, with one child still alive in 1900, Father Born TN, Mother Born TN
Rachael A. Ward Age 2, Born June 1898 - Indian Territory (Granddaughter) Father Born Indian Territory, Mother Born MO

Notes: This family was enumerated two times on two separate days by the same census taker, with conflicting information. Rachael C. Ward's husband is not listed with the family. However, I found a John S. Ward, Age 28, (Born about 1872) living as a boarder in the John E. Taylor household in the Township 2, Choctaw Nation Indian Territory, Atoka County. I have been unable to locate Danison (Daniel) G. Brown in later census records after 1900. Therefore, I am under the assumption that Danison must have passed away sometime after the 1900 Federal Census and before the 1910 Federal Census was taken.

Information for Rachael (Brown) Ward (Daughter of Danison G. and Rachael C. (Pate) Brown):

1910 Federal U.S. Indian Population Census for Coal County Oklahoma (Jackson Township)
John S. Ward, Race-Indian, Age 37, Born about 1873 OK (Head of household) Married 12 years/Farmer
Rachael C. Ward, Race-White, Age 40, Born about 1870 TN (Wife) Married 2 /Married 12 years/Mother of 2 children - 1 still alive in 1910
Rachael A. Ward, Race-Indian, Age 12, Born about 1898 (Daughter)
Walter Hensley (Age 20) Born OK (Boarder)

Notes: The “Married 2” indicates that Rachael had been married twice. However, I have not uncovered any marriage records for Rachael to substantiate this. The 1900 Census states she was the mother of one child, and the 1910 Census states that she was the mother of two children, with one still alive in 1910. Therefore, Rachael evidently had a child who was born and died between 1900 and 1910. John S. Ward is the probable father of this child.

There were separate Indian population schedules for 1910 in which the tribe and/or band was also recorded. These enumerations were slightly different from the usual 1900 Census entries or the Federal Indian Census as there was a special section, "Special Inquiries Relating to Indians." The main section included the headings found on the 1900 Federal Census. The second page of the census, specifically for those Indians, labeled Special Inquiries Relating to Indians, asked questions including: Other name (usually the native name of the Indian), Tribe of this Indian, Tribe of the father of this Indian, Tribe of the mother of this Indian, Whether or not the Indian has any white or mixed blood, and how much, Whether or not the Indian is living in Polygamy, Citizenship questions, i.e. Is Indian a citizen, The type of dwelling the Indian is living in (fixed or movable), Number of times married, If married is this Indian living in Polygamy, If living in polygamy, Number of wives and sisters, Educated from what educational institution, Is this Indian Taxable, If taxable, year allotted land, Does Indian Own this land.

Notes: In the 1910 Census year both John S. Ward and daughter Rachael A. Ward’s race is recorded as “Indian” and they were identified as being from the Choctaw Indian Tribe. John S. Ward’s father’s tribe is identified as Choctaw (1/8), mother’s tribe is identified as White (1/8). Rachael’s father’s tribe is also identified as Choctaw (1/16), mother’s tribe is identified as White (15/16). The year 1904 is recorded in the year allotted land section. The word “Civilized” is also recorded for both John and Rachael.

1920 Federal Census of Coal County Oklahoma - Jackson Township
John S. Ward Age 47, Born about 1873 TX, (Head of household) Father born OK, Mother born TX
Rachael Ward Age 49, Born about 1871 MO (Wife) Father born MO, Mother born MO
Notes: They rented their home, and both John and Rachael were able to read and write. John and Rachael C. Ward’s daughter is absent from this census. Her age in 1920 would have been 22 years; I speculate that she was married at this time.

1930 Federal Census of Comanche County Oklahoma – Elgin (Richmond Township)
John Ward Age 57, Born about 1873 TX, Father born OK, Mother born TX
Rachael Ward Age 60, Born about 1870 TN, Father born SC, Mother born TN

Notes: Rachael was age 21 at her first marriage – approximate date of first marriage is 1891
John was age 23 at his first marriage – approximate date of John and Rachael’s marriage is 1896
They lived on 2nd Street. John’s occupation is listed as Laborer at a Cotton Gin.

Information for Hugh H. Brown (Son of Danison G. and Rachael C. (Pate) Brown)

1900 Federal Census for Township 4, Chickasaw Nation/Indian Territory
Hugh B. (?) Brown Age 32, Born Jan 1868 TN, (Head of household) Father Born KY, Mother Born TN, Married 3 yrs, Occupation: Ferry Man
Fannie Brown Age 22, Born Apr 1878 AK, (Wife) Father Born AK, Mother Born AK, Married 3 yrs.
Charley V. Brown Age 3, Born Dec 1896 Indian Territory (Son)

Notes: This is the only Hugh Brown that I found in Oklahoma in 1900 for persons within the range of his birth year. I realize that the birth year and place information does not match up with other census records for Hugh. Therefore, this record is more than likely NOT for the Hugh Brown son of Danison and Rachael. However, I thought I would include it since most of the information matches for this Hugh’s wife Francis (Fannie?) Brown. Sometimes the Census Taker records the information incorrectly depending on who gave him/her the information. You can draw you own conclusion. I fix their marriage date about 1896. The son Charles V. Brown does not show up in later census records. The middle initial for Hugh on this census looks like it is a “B”, but could also be an “H”.

1910 Federal Census for Coal County Oklahoma (Jackson)
Hugh Brown Age 38, Born about 1872 MO, (Head of Household), Father Born TN, Mother Born TN
Francis Brown Age 32, Born about 1878 AK (Wife), Father Born AK, Mother Born AK
Bertha Brown Age 15, Born about 1895 OK (Daughter)
Nora Brown Age 12, Born about 1898 OK (Daughter)
Sarah Brown Age 10, Born about 1900 OK (Daughter)
Henry Brown Age 8, Born about 1902) OK (Son)
Julia Ann Brown Age 5, Born about 1905 OK (Daughter)
Minnie Lee Brown Age 3, Born about 1907 OK (Daughter)
Samuel M. Brown Age 2 ½, Born about 1908 OK (Son)

Notes: Hugh and Francis were married 17 years. I fix their marriage year about 1893. Hugh’s occupation is listed as Farmer. They rented not owned their farm. Francis was the mother of seven children, with all seven children alive in 1910. The son Charles V. Brown (found on 1900 census) is not included in this count.

1920 Federal Census for Atoka County Oklahoma (Lewis Township)
Hugh Brown Age 47, Born about 1873 MO, (Head of Household), Father Born SC, Mother Born TN
Francis Brown Age 42, Born about 1878 AK (Wife), Father Born AK, Mother Born AK
Henry Brown Age 18, Born about 1902 OK (Son)
Julia A. Brown Age 14, Born about 1906 OK (Daughter)
Minnie Brown Age 12, Born about 1908 OK (Daughter)
Samuel Brown Age 9, Born about 1911 OK (Son)
James Brown Age 5, Born about 1915 OK (Son)
Rubie Brown Age 2 yrs/10 months, Born about 1918 (Daughter)

Notes: Hugh’s occupation is Farmer on a General Farm. They rented the farm not owned.
1930 Federal Census for Chaves County New Mexico (Precinct 3 – Roswell?)
Hugh Brown Age 58, Born about 1872 MO (Head of Household), Father Born TN, Mother Born TN
Francis Brown Age 53, Born about 1877 TX, (Wife), Father Born AK, Mother Born AK
Norah H. Brown Age 32, Born about 1898 OK (Daughter)
Samuel M. Brown Age 20, Born about 1910 OK (Son)
James W. Brown Age 17, Born about 1913 OK (Son)
Rubie P. Brown Age 12, Born about 1918 OK (Daughter

Notes: Age at first marriage – Hugh 21, Francis 16 – Marriage year about 1893. Hugh’s occupation is Farmer on a General Farm. They rented the farm not owned.

Information for Bertha (Brown) Cooper (Daughter of Hugh H. Brown and Francis)

1920 Federal Census for Atoka County Oklahoma (Lewis Township)
William M. Cooper Age 29, Born about 1891 OK, (Head of household) Father Born TX, Mother Born TX
Bertha M. Cooper Age 25, Born about 1895 OK (Wife) Father Born MO, Mother Born TX
Estell Cooper Age 6, Born about 1914 OK (Daughter)
Huston Cooper Age 3, Born about 1917 OK (Son)
Floyd Cooper Age 3 ½ months, Born about 1920 (Son)
Andrew Reims Age 62, Born about 1858 (Boarder)

Notes: Bertha M. Cooper, daughter of Hugh and Francis Brown. They were enumerated in the next household; and appear on the next lines on the census page, directly following information for Hugh and Francis Brown. William’s occupation is listed as Farmer on a General Farm. They rented the farm not owned.

W. M. Cooper Age 40, Born about 1890 OK (Head of household), Father Born TN, Mother Born TX
Bertha Cooper Age 35, Born about 1895 OK (Wife), Father Born OK, Mother Born AK
Estell Cooper Age 16, Born about 1914 OK (Daughter)
Houston Cooper Age 13, Born about 1917 OK (Son)
Floyd Cooper Age 9, Born about 1921 OK (Son)
Wm. Lea (?) Age 7, Born about 1923 OK (Son)
Dora Bell Cooper Age 5, Born about 1925 OK (Daughter)
Carl E. Cooper, Age 2, Born about 1928 OK (Son)

Notes: William’s occupation is listed as Laborer on Farm. They rented the farm not owned.
Age at first marriage: William –Age 23, Bertha – Age 17. Marriage Year – about 1913

Information for Minnie (Mima) Lee (Brown) Riley (Daughter of Hugh H. Brown and Francis)

Noble R. Riley Age 23, Born about 1907 OK (Head of household), Father Born TX, Mother Born TX
Mima L. Riley Age 23, Born about 1907 OK (Wife), Father Born MO, Mother Born TX
Bonnie Lou Riley Age 2 yrs/3 months Born about 1928 MO

Notes: Age at first marriage: Noble – 19, Mima- 19, Marriage year about 1926
Notes: Noble’s occupation is listed as Farmer on a General Farm. They rented the farm not owned.

Information for Sarah (Brown) Prince (Daughter of Hugh H. Brown and Francis)

1920 Federal Census for Atoka County Oklahoma (Lewis)
Pete Prince Age 31, Born about 1889 AK, (Head of Household) Father Born TN, Mother Born TN
Sarra Prince Age 21, Born about 1899 OK, (Wife) Father Born MO, Mother Born TX
Clifton Prince Age 1 yr/11 months, Born about 1919 OK (Son)
Vera (?) Prince Age 2 months, Born about 1920 OK (Daughter)
Johnnie Prince Age 16, Born AK (Brother of Head of Household), Father Born TN, Mother Born TN

Notes: Occupation Farmer. Rented farm not owned.

1930 Federal Census for Comanche County Oklahoma (Richards Township)
Peter Prince Age 44, Born about 1886 AK (Head of Household) Father Born AK, Mother Born AK
Sarah Prince Age 31, Born about 1899) OK (Wife) Father Born MO, Mother Born AK
Clifton Prince Age 10, Born About 1920 OK (Son)
Vera Prince Age 9, Born about 1921 OK (Daughter)
Lucile Prince Age 8, Born about 1922 OK (Daughter)
Lillie Prince Age 4 yrs/1 month, Born about 1926 OK (Daughter)
Lonnie Prince Age 24, Born about 1906 AK (Brother of Head of Household) Father Born AK, Mother Born AK

Notes: Age at first marriage: Peter – 32, Sarah – 19, Marriage Year about 1918. Occupation Farmer. Rented farm not owned.

Any information regarding this BROWN family would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Hugh H. Brown (& Francis), Minnie Lee (Brown) Riley (& Noble), Bertha M. (Brown) Cooper (& William)

Posted: 9 Mar 2007 8:17PM GMT
Hello,
My cousin asked me to read your message and find out if maybe we were connected somehow. We are descended from Brown who originated in Goergia and ended up in Oklahoma in the late 1800's by way of PA; OH; IL; KS. Other members of the family were in MO and IA. What caught her attention was the similar names of some in your family. Since the indians were driven out of GA, SC and TN in the early 1800's were Cherokee, I wonder if your family may have had a mixed marriage between Choctaw and Cherokee and we may have a connection. We are of the Cherokee nation. If you think there may be a connection, please contact Kay Owen at
bobko3703@sbcglobal.net. She lives in OK and has done most of the genealogy reseach on our Browns.
I hope we find we are related.
Royce Miller Hunt
hfa1@comcast.net

Re: Hugh H. Brown (& Francis), Minnie Lee (Brown) Riley (& Noble), Bertha M. (Brown) Cooper (& William)

Posted: 11 Mar 2007 3:55AM GMT
Surnames: Brown
I'm sorry but I don't think our Brown familes are related. My Brown line originated in Union SC, then Sevier and Jefferson counties in Tennessee, then Cole and Lawrence counties in Missouri and Indian Territory in Oklahoma and eventually New Mexico.

I recently found the families of Hugh Brown and Rachael (Brown) Ward that I am researching now living in Cement Oklahoma. It appears that our Brown family returned to Oklahoma from New Mexico sometime after the 1930 census was taken. Some of the Brown women did marry Indians but as far as I know, they were Choctaw and Comanchee, not Cherokee. I don't know a lot about my new found Brown family members, so this may be incorrect.

Since the Brown surname is so difficult to research, may I suggest that you check out the DNA study that is being done through Family Tree DNA. You can find the information related to the Brown study at brownsociety.org. We have found two DNA matches with our Brown line which originated in Union, SC.

Hope this helps, and I wish you luck.

Posted: 11 Mar 2007 10:34PM GMT
Surnames: Brown, King, Ward
Thank you very much for responding. The names are all very similiar & so are some of the locations & dates.

We are already into DNA. Can you give me a name in your DNA Group? That will certainly prove any connection we may have. Thanks again. Kay Owen bobko3703@sbcglobal.

Posted: 11 Aug 2009 9:47AM GMT
do you know of a dora mae brown?

Posted: 11 Aug 2009 9:51AM GMT
Surnames: brown
do you know of a dora mae brown?

Posted: 11 Aug 2009 6:19PM GMT
Unfortunately, I do not know of a Dora Mae Brown in this family.

Posted: 15 Sep 2011 2:50AM GMT
Surnames: Mullins,Browns,Harmons
I AM RELATED TO THE BROWNS THAT CAME from MO/KS/OK THEY WERE RAISED BY William henry clay brown was the father of Pearl,Olive,Ocar Lee,Palmer,Cora and Walter used brown name but later went back to grey name my g-grandmother lived in Garvin,Lawton area Nancy May Garrard spelled Garard b.Cynthiana,KY 1845 William Brown was b.Ind,MO. WAS ADOPTED HIMSELF Walter Monroe Grey b.1868-9 Greene Co,MO. moved to LawtonComanche Co,also lived in Enid worked inlogging and oil camps.Cora May Grey/gray b. 1872 IN KS.WE ARE RELATED TO mULLINS,gARRARDS,eSTESES,we are choctaw/french

Posted: 15 Sep 2011 2:53AM GMT
Surnames: Mullins,Browns,Harmons
I AM RELATED TO THE BROWNS THAT CAME from MO/KS/OK THEY WERE RAISED BY William henry clay brown was the father of Pearl,Olive,Ocar Lee,Palmer,Cora and Walter used brown name but later went back to grey name my g-grandmother lived in Garvin,Lawton area Nancy May Garrard spelled Garard b.Cynthiana,KY 1845 William Brown was b.Ind,MO. WAS ADOPTED HIMSELF Walter Monroe Grey b.1868-9 Greene Co,MO. moved to LawtonComanche Co,also lived in Enid worked inlogging and oil camps.Cora May Grey/gray b. 1872 IN KS.WE ARE RELATED TO mULLINS,gARRARDS,eSTESES,we are choctaw/french
per page

Find a board about a specific topic