Search for content in message boards

emigration from Beerta

Schipper

Posted: 12 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 6 Nov 2001 2:20AM GMT
Surnames: Schipper
Hi. In my husbands family tree there is a Wilhelmina Schipper was born Jan 12, 1934. She did at the age of 50 on Jan 2, 1984. I know that her fathers name was Theodorus and they settled in Alberta. If by chance Wilhelmina fits in your tree you can contact me directly. jeannette - jetoe@telus.net

Beerta to USA and Canada

Edited: 29 Dec 2001 4:10AM GMT
Surnames: Arends, Bruins, Frikken, Jurjens, Kruise, Mulder, Oosterhuis, Santjer, Schipper, Stubbe, Visscher, Woltjer, Zwarts
Nearly all of my father's ancestors came from East Groningen. The above families were either born, married or lived in Gemeenta Beerta before moving to North America. Most settled in Minnesota, North Dakota or Iowa between 1885 and 1912. Some were first in Iowa and later went to Renville and Kandiyohi Counties in south-western Minnesota.

Most of the people in that area of Minnesota came from East Friesland in the early 1880's, soon to be followed by East Groningers, mainly from Beerta, Midwolda and Bellingwolde. The Emden Netherlands Reformed Church of Renville County cellebrated it's 100th anniversary a few years ago.

My grandparents, Harm Gunsters Bruins and Jantje Pieters Woltjer were born in Oudedijk and Ganzedijk and came to the Us in 1891 and 1895. They married in Renville County in 1905. In 1906 they moved to North Dakota, and were joined by family from Renville and Beerta. In 1909 they moved to Alberta, Canada and were the branch of my family from the Netherlands to do so. I would be happy to share further details on individuals in any of the above families.

Beerta to US

Edited: 31 Jul 2001 3:16AM GMT
Surnames: Kristjaans, Christians, Hindriks, Hinders
One of my ancestors' family came from Beerta and settled in Kanawha, Iowa US in 1892. Kanawha is in the north-central part of the state and attracted many immigrants from the Bellingwolde area. About that same time many immigrants were settling in South Dakota because of low land prices. There were many Dutch settlements in Iowa and Minnesota at the time that attracted new arrivals.

I am not familiar with your surname but you can search for it in the Social Security Death Records at ssdi.genealogy.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/ssdi.cgi. It lists 59 Stuit's with several born in the 1880-1890 time frame. It looks like there are concentrations in Grand Rapids and Muskegeon, Michigan and Cook County (Chicago area), Illinois.

Good luck;
Roger Peters

emigration from Beerta

Paul Stuit (View posts)
Surnames: Beerta
I am looking for anyone who has a familymember who emigrated from Beerta, the Netherlands to the USA between 1880 and 1910. I am trying to find out were they all went. Do you know a person who came from Beerta and died in the USA please let me know. Thank you.
Paul Stuit

Beerta

Paul Stuit (View posts)
Posted: 13 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Thank you for responding. I would like to have any data on the persons mentioned in your email. Could you please tell me the persons names, date of birth, date of death and place of death and to whom they were married?. Thank you. If you need help with any information on these families I would be happy to look something up in the archives.

Beerta

Paul Stuit (View posts)
Posted: 13 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Veenkant, Kerkhof, Koning, Oolders, Siemons
Thank you for responding. I would like to have any data on the persons mentioned in your email. Could you please tell me the persons names, date of birth, date of death and place of death and to whom they were married?. Thank you. If you need help with any information on these families I would be happy to look something up in the archives. My name, Stuit, is from a different part of Groningen. All persons with that name in the US are from another family. My family from Beerta are the following families: Veenkant, Kerkhof, Koning, Oolders, Siemons. I am working on an emigrationlist with all the emigrated "Beersters" between 1880 and 1910.
Posted: 15 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 28 Apr 2002 4:12AM GMT
Surnames: HINDRIKS, HASSEBROEK
I have an Elske HINDRIKS, born 1710 in Weenermoor, Ost Friesland. She married a HASSEBROEK. They had seven children (4 sons). Thats all the info I have. Do you connect with Elske back in Europe?/JAN

emigration from Beerta

Posted: 16 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 12 Aug 2002 6:13PM GMT
Surnames: HECTOR
Hello Paul,

Some members of the Hector family, living in East Groningen, emigrated around 1900 from Beerta to the USA. Most of them first settled in Iowa and South Dakota. I do have information of 13 persons. I will mail this info to you privatley

Groningen

Posted: 4 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jun 2001 11:02PM GMT
Surnames: Santjer
My grandmother's name was Helen Santjer, her parent were
Lefferdus and Hilke Santjer. She came to the United States approximately in 1896 and was married to John Ryks in Parkersburg, Iowa. They lived there for a time and then moved to Renville, Minnesota. They had 12 children and adopted one of her sister's twin daughter's when her sister died in childbirth.
Helen Santjer was born in Oude Dyk Gronnigen (Groningen) Holland. She had 4 brothers and 2 sisters. The only names I have for her brothers are John and William.
Any connection.
Posted: 5 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jun 2001 11:02PM GMT
Surnames: Santjer
Thanks for the reply. Have file with 213 direct descendants of Helen Santjer. This is not all of them, my aunt Elaine that started all of this has the complete file, and am waiting to receive it. For health reasons, she had to turn it over to her sister to carry on. This file is based on an oral history that Helen gave to Elaine, and this file was started pre-computer and all names and name places were probably spelled phonetically. My mother was married to Helen's son Fred, who was born in Parkersburg, Iowa, and when they divorced, the Ryks family lawyer told my mom that if she were ever in any trouble, if she went to Parkersburg, the whole town would be related to her. Have done a little research in Iowa, Butler County, but have not turned up much information.
Will contact you directly with more information and send the information that I now have.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic