Search for content in message boards

Madden - Co. Cork, Ireland, mid-1800s

Madden - Co. Cork, Ireland, mid-1800s

Posted: 24 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Jul 2001 7:48PM GMT
Surnames: Madden, Haley, Cogan
Looking for any information on the ancestry/family of Ann Madden, born c.1845(?) in Co. Cork, Ireland. Her father was John Madden, occ. jewel dealer or general dealer. She emigrated to England and married Charles Haley 21 August 1861 in London; widowed 1875, then married William Cogan 14 May 1877, also in London.

Re: Madden - Co. Cork, Ireland, mid-1800s

Posted: 6 Jul 2001 6:19PM GMT
Graham,

I am searching for information on my gg grandparents. It doesn't seem like we have a relationship except for the name Maddenand County Cork.

Tradition has it that George Madden came to America from Ireland in 1854. George had a brother named Daniel (b. 1828). A Daniel Madden is listed in the Passenger and Immigration List: Boston, 1821-1850, as having arrived in Boston from Ireland in 1849. There was no mention of George Madden (or the Coleman's or Derrigs) arriving in Boston up to 1850, the end of the file.

Bridget Derrig was born in Cork, Irleand, (by tradition)and was 13 or 14 years old when she came to the United States. She came with her sister Catherine (1834-1904) and Catherine's husband, Michael Coleman (ca 1813-1900).

Bridgett and the Colemans settled for a short while in the East. Michael may have been working on the railroad. They came to Cincinnati around 1854 where George Madden and Bridget Derrig were wed. The information I have is as follows.

George MADDEN Sr.
Birth: 1830 Place: County Cork (?), Ireland
Father: William T. MADDEN
Mother: Elizabeth
Marriage: 1854 Cincinnati, Ohio

Wife: Bridgett DERRIG
Birth: 10 May 1835 Place: County Cork (?), Ireland
Father: Patrick DERRIG
Mother: Julia MORAN

Even if we can't find a connection, Graham. I wonder if you have done any generic research on the Maddens in Cork? Anything would be appreciated.

I will keep you msg and data, please keep me in mind.

Joe Holland

Posted: 22 Apr 2010 6:38PM GMT
I have a Ann Madden, born abt 1840. Parents John and Nancy Madden from Ireland. I'm trying to find info on when they immigrated to US. How do you know the occupation of John Madden?

Posted: 22 Apr 2010 9:25PM GMT
Father's occupation as stated on Ann's two marriage certificates.

Posted: 28 Sep 2010 4:38AM GMT
Are these the John and Nancy Madden who lived in Boston, Mass.? Nancy then moved to Lawrence with children Ann (Hannah), Jeremiah, James, Denis and Ellen. From baptismal records, I assume they were related to my Maddens from south of Cork City, County Cork.
Frank Thompson / NYC
E-mail: ftcorkmdb@gmail.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions