Search for content in message boards

origins of "Vigar"

origins of "Vigar"

Michelle Vigar (View posts)
Posted: 4 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Vigar
Can anybody help me trace the origins of the surname Vigar?
I'm Maltese, the surname came from the U.K. but I'm sure it's not English. Is it Jewish or Hugonot or anything else?

Posted: 6 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 28 Mar 2002 10:52PM GMT
Surnames: Vigar
Do you have any information on the names of the Vigar's you are tracing. There were families of Vigars in Somerset, England and there is a book called "The Vigar Family - Pioneers in Australia" 1828-1978 by Robert Vigar. Copies are held in most the southern State Libraries in Australia but not Queensland.

Re: Vigar

Posted: 25 Jun 2001 6:04PM GMT
Surnames: Chant, Fane, Fone, England, Lowman, Strong, Stoodley, Vigar
My cousin, David Chant, has Vigars in his tree, indeed I believe he has a credit in Robert's book. He is always keen to expand his aquaintanceship, but won't use a computer. If you would like to send your snail mail address to me at 'JCHANTSS8@aol.com' I'll pass it on to him. He is already in contact with Robert Vigar and Liz Hoare.
Regards, John Chant, Canvey Island, Essex, England.

Re: origins of "Vigar"

Nigel Wood (View posts)
Posted: 25 Jul 2001 8:28PM GMT
Surnames: Vigor,Vigar
In East Sussex England there were Vigars and Vigors (the Vigor name mutated to Vigar) in the 1600s. The name Vigor probably originated from Normandy, France where there are several towns named after Saint Vigor.

Can anyone make a connection between the Somerset Vigors/Vigars and the East Sussex ones? My earliest Vigor ancestor is James Vigor who married Jone Cheeseman in Bexhill 6-9-1579.

Amanda Vigar (View posts)
Posted: 25 Feb 2002 12:16PM GMT
The information my mother was given is that it is probably Hugenot - I don't have anything documentary though.

A

Posted: 7 Nov 2004 10:22PM GMT
hi nigel
i have just stated doing the vigors history for a friend you have already sent them details his name micheal cole i have already added some names using the igi and ancestry .com have you progressed any further? if possable could you send me a gedcom file of your tree so far .i often go down to the frc so if i can help you in any way please ask take care keith white

Nigel Wood (View posts)
Posted: 20 Nov 2004 8:28PM GMT
Hi Keith,

I am back to the late 1500s with my Vigor/Vigar line and am happy to let you have my gedcom. I am on one@enterprise.net. Let me have your e-mail and I will send it to you

Best wishes

Nigel Wood

Posted: 25 Mar 2005 7:53PM GMT
Edited: 1 Apr 2006 5:46AM GMT
Surnames: Vigor Vigar
Hi Nigel

Still at it, I see. I hope this Gedcom you are freely passing around isn't the file I gave you for your own research years back, which of course is now well out of date? Perhaps you'd like to share your own research since then with me, so we are both up to date?

Regards

David Vigar

keith white (View posts)
Posted: 26 Mar 2005 8:25AM GMT
hi david
i was helping a friend with the vigor name to research his name nigel u speak of sent them details some years ago iv just added bits iv managed to find unfortnutly iv giving them back all reasearch i had any i can find i will send if you send me your email thanks keith email chalkie1953@aol.com

Nigel Wood (View posts)
Posted: 27 Mar 2005 7:53PM GMT
Hi David,
you were very helpful to me when I started my Vigor research and I am grateful to you for that. You may recall though that I was introduced to you by Frank Vigor from Canada and most of my Vigor data comes from the Gedcom file and other documentation that Frank supplied to me. I know that Frank and yourself were in contact and you probably exchanged information so it is possible that some of the documents and research that I have made "freely available" came originally from you. I have never claimed that the research was mine and indeed, I often advise people who contact me that the information was researched by the late Frank Vigor which I believed to be the case.

Since Frank's death I have tried to make the Vigor/Vigar information available to others in the same way that Frank made them available to me (and others). It seemed to me that it would be very sad if all the hours of work that he put in were wasted and I even attempted to contact his executor (no reply) to try to preserve the Wills etc that Frank had translated (from old English or even Latin!) for future Vigor/ar geneologists.

If you e-mail me your address David I will happily send you copies of all my Vigor/Vigar documents (my e-mail is one@enterprise.net). If you advise me that any of the documents that I send you were researched by you then I will understake not to send them to people without clearing it with you.

On a more positive note, I am pleased that you have got in contact as, for a long time, I have thought that it would be a great idea to start a Vigor/ar Website on which we could put the family tree with Photos of individuals, Copies of Wills and provinence (i.e what documents support the information supplied). With luck the site will attract information from obscure family sources that none of us yet have. I guess that you are currently the best informed person in the world on the Vigor/Vigar families. Would you be interested in working with me on such a site? I would be happy for the site to carry a note to the effect that the initial research for the site was performed by yourself and Frank. Let me know

Best wishes

Nigel Wood
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions