Search for content in message boards

Family Tree Maker 2013 Wishlist

Family Tree Maker 2013 Wishlist

Posted: 23 Sep 2011 11:05AM GMT
Classification: Query
Well I guess its about time we had one of these...

Having refused to move off my FTM Version 16 edition for a few years now, and with advent (finally) of family view in 2012 - I have given in... My copy of 2012 is now ordered!

But still there are things we need to see... here are a few ideas for the FTM Software Engineers to get on to initially... please add some too, under this thread. I am sure there are many!

(1) Faster. (Not that I can say yet that 2012 is slow...)

(2) Android & HP WebOS Port of the IPad App. (And yes I know about HP WebOS - but some of us got a cheap one - ooo and they are soooooo good! ;-))

(3) Improvement to the 'pattern of life timeline' features so that we can import/export information to/from other source for individuals (eg CSV, XLS, etc.) Needs to include support for binary objects like pictures too. Needs a wizard like a spreadsheet import tool.

(4) I'd like to see the ability to search geographic areas for facts in my file(s). Vision - see rightmove.co.uk sketch/draw search caability - when I go to places researching I sometimes find that other members of the tree lived their lives only a few miles away and I could have "done" them while I was in the area.

(5) If location aware capability isn't already there in the IPad/Android/HP WebOS apps - it needs to be! Some good capability options could be developed there with that.

(6)Picture EXIF meta data manipulation/editing - Picture's have this meta data for reasons - please can we see some ability to add/edit this information so that when pictures are shared tree information can go with them, and FTM "see's" that information and uses it. Pictures can be people, plcaes, things, etc so the meta data can be as diverse. Vision - imagine importing a picture of grave stone and having the person's timeline embedded in it and immediately added to the individual's data in FTM. Might want to think about security too...

(7) Email Outlook Form Plug-In for managing email correspondence / sources so that it can be integrated into a format within a field of a GEDCOM. (How about a CMIS interface? For Document Manager eg Alfresco, Documentum, Merido, ClearCase like!)

(8) ANCESTRY.COM – Integration request - more data (British Newspapers 1800-1900) available from the British library: contact jane.shaw@bl.uk – great genealogy sources for BMD, Obits, Court Rulings, News Articles (National and Local Newspapers)

Best wishes, James Usmar

Re: Family Tree Maker 2013 Wishlist

Posted: 26 Sep 2011 7:24PM GMT
(2) Android & HP WebOS Port of the IPad App. (And yes I know about HP WebOS - but some of us got a cheap one - ooo and they are soooooo good! ;-))

(1) I would like to add the blackberry playbook to that list

(2) I would like to see the ability, like the web to see all hints for file. Its a pain to have to be on the person to see a hint where online you can see all hints and know when theirs a change such as marriage, dead, or even new info.

Posted: 5 Oct 2011 10:49PM GMT
Edited: 6 Oct 2011 5:08AM GMT
Surnames: USMAR
Well I have just got my copy of FTM 2012 through the post, and I pointed it at my Version 16 FTM file with nearly 90,000 people and thousands of media files. It only took 20 minutes (!) to import as a new file. But no errors...

But then it happened - what everyone keeps saying, and why until now I had put off my purchase - FTM 2012 Crashed! (Within 5 minutes of use!)

So my big wish for 2013 will be for stability!

The second wish is performance for multi-threading and memory. I have an INTEL 2nd generation 8 core CPU and 16GB of very fast RAM - I see 2012 doesn't use much more than 4GB RAM and 1 or maybe 2 cores for most operations. Very poor!

So my second biggest wish for 2013 is for performance and capcaity throughout the product, to better utilise hyper-threading, multi-threading and memory. 4 minutes was spent just making a chart!

I'll keep hunting for bugs, ~$30 down the drain, and I guess I'll fire up my XP P4 CPU 1GBRAM machine with FTM V16 again! At least it works!

James.

Attachments:

Posted: 6 Oct 2011 3:35AM GMT
"(2) Android & HP WebOS Port of the IPad App. (And yes I know about HP WebOS - but some of us got a cheap one - ooo and they are soooooo good! ;-))"

A beta of the Android app was recently announced. As for WebOS I think that will depend on if someone picks it up from HP and continues to develop it and more devices come out. I'd think it'd be had for them to justify the development time otherwise (unless there's an easy way to port the Android version).

Posted: 6 Oct 2011 4:13AM GMT
Yup, I was a beta tester for 2012 and had terrible problems. As a former business professor, I thought surely they would have resolved the hundreds of issues reported on the beta message boards before putting it on the market. It doesn't make any business sense to alienate loyal, long-term customers and surely they know that short-term expedient decisions for cash flow make for bigger long-term problems. Guess I was wrong.

I used 2012 for about 5 hours and it is absolutely buggy. It hangs up, it eats memory, my mouse cursor jumps all over the place, and changing details on one source could take 2 or 3 minutes watching an hourglass (remind anyone of Microsoft and what it the hourglass did to their reputation?) I like the idea of sync and blended families, but I won't waste time watching an hour glass when I'm not being paid to do so. Went back to FTM 2011 and have no problems. Now the decision is whether to ask for my money back, or wait and see if they fix it with updates.

Posted: 6 Oct 2011 4:29AM GMT
"Now the decision is whether to ask for my money back, or wait and see if they fix it with updates."

Ask yourself these questions...

1) How many updates were issued for FTM2008?
1a) How many problems did the FTM2008 update fix?

2) How many updates were issued for FTM2009?
2a) How many problems did the FTM2009 update(s) fix?

3) How Many updates were issued for FTM2010?
3a) How many problems did the FTM2010 update(s) fix?

4) How many updates were issued for FTM2011?
4a)How many problems did the FTM2011 update(s) fix?

The answers to those questions should help your decision.

Posted: 6 Oct 2011 5:12AM GMT
Go on - I'll bite - how many of each?

(I just don't know as I was a Beta tester for 2008 - and I gave up on it until I thought stability had returned and the Family View had returned ... 2012 looked good)

Posted: 6 Oct 2011 5:34AM GMT
James,

I have no idea.
:)

That is left as an exercise for those thinking about the decision.

I do know that FTM2010 had at least update.

Posted: 6 Oct 2011 6:34AM GMT
James

On the memory point, to make your wish clear, you want a 64 bit version of the program. A 32 bit program cannot handle more than around 3.4gb of memory no matter how much memory you have.

At present there is only one 64 bit program and that is MacFamily Tree (not to be confused with the Mac version of FTM)

Tony

Posted: 6 Oct 2011 6:39AM GMT
Tony,

Excellent point, for a single executable instance.

I would have assumed that 64bit version would have been developed by now and make useful use of the memory.

James.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions