Search for content in message boards

Samuel K. Strickland 1800-1868 Dayton, Cattaraugus County, New York

Samuel K. Strickland 1800-1868 Dayton, Cattaraugus County, New York

Posted: 28 Feb 2006 9:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Strickland, Waltz, Palmer, Stone, Jewell, MacPherson
I am looking for information on the descendents of my great great great grandfather Samuel Kelly Strickland. My Great Great Grandfather John Nelson Strickland was his son. Other children of Samuel K. Strickland and Permelia Waltz were Robert, Chester, Mirenus, Samuel, George, Matilda, Mary Ann, Fayette, Jane and Mercy.I have quite a bit of information on this family and would be happy to share what I have, and would welcome any information others would like to share with me.

Re: Samuel K. Strickland 1800-1868 Dayton, Cattaraugus County, New York

Posted: 1 Mar 2006 2:15PM GMT
Surnames: STRICKLAND, JEWELL
Hello Frances,

While I don't recognize any of the names you mention, I'm very interested in your STRICKLAND/JEWELL connection.
I have a James H. STRICKLAND, who married Elizabeth Ann JEWELL on 26 Jan 1841. They probably married in Albany, NY, as that's where her parents and siblings lived. The only child that I find for them is Volkert Jewell Strickland, born 09 Feb 1843, named for Elizabeth's father.
Do you happen to have any information on this family?
Thanks for any info you can provide.

Art Burch

Frances MacPherson Boston (View posts)
Posted: 2 Mar 2006 6:24PM GMT
I'm sorry but I don't have any information on Elizabeth Ann Jewell or James H. Strickland. Samuel Strickland was born in Otsego County in 1800 and that county was near Albany. The connection to the Jewells comes in when my great grandmother Lettie Strickland married Frank Stone who was the son of George Washington Stone and Fidelia Jewell. Fidelia Jewell (1840-1905) was born to parents Pardon Jewell (1820-1905) and Lydia Pierce, in Franklinville, New York. Her siblings were Martha, Cyrus, Caroline, Eli and George.

I am still researching (there is never an end) and if I find anything related to Elizabeth Ann and James H. I'll be sure and let you know.

Posted: 11 Mar 2006 3:07PM GMT
Surnames: STRICKLAND, JEWELL, STONE
Hi Frances,

Our JEWELL/STRICKLAND connection is through your great grandmother, Lettie STRICKLAND, who married Frank STONE, a son of George Washington STONE and Fidelia JEWELL.

I've done extensive research on our JEWELL ancestry, but am missing a few details. I have Fidelia's DOB as 16 Jul 1840, in Franklinville, and death as 1905. Do you happen to know her exact date of death, where she died, and place of burial?

I know that she married George Washington STONE, but don't have their date or place of marriage. Do you happen to know?

I only have George W. STONE's DOB as about 1836 in NY, and death between 1870-1880 (per Census Records). Do you happen to know exact dates and places?

Fidelia and George had two sons (per Census Records):
1) Alpheus STONE, born about 1862 in IL, and
2) Frank STONE, born about 1865 in NY
Was Alpheus really born in IL? When/why was the family in IL? According to the 1900 Census, one of these sons had died. Do you have any further info?

Thanks for any additional info you can provide. If you need any further info on the JEWELL family, I would be happy to share. Please let me know if I can be of help to you.

Frances MacPherson Boston (View posts)
Posted: 12 Mar 2006 5:53AM GMT
Surnames: Strickland, Jewell, Stone
Hello Arthur,

Fidelia Jewell Stone died 31 oct 1905 in Franklinville New York
She and George Washington Stone were married 16 June 1861
George Washington Stone was born 30 April 1837 in Fillmore, New York
He died 21 August 1875 in Franklinville, New York
Alpheus Stone was born 15 Feb 1863 and died 15 June 1893 in Franklinville, New York
Frank Linmore Stone was born 7 August 1865 in Fillmore, Allegany County, New York - he died 15 November 1929 on Second Avenue, Franklinville, New York
I believe all are buried in Mt. Prospect Cemetery, Franklinville, New York

I am also curious as to why Alpheus Stone was born in Illinois (1870 Census) and I have no idea where in Illinois it could have been, or why George and Fidelia might have moved there.

I have photos of Fidelia and George W. Stone, Frank Linmore Stone, Lettie Strickland Stone, (and their descendents) Stella Strickland (Lettie's sister), also obituaries of several people.I have quite a few photos that I am unable to identify and believe them to be of the Jewell and Stone families. I'd be happy to send any of these to you if you would like.

I don't have a lot of documented information on the Jewell family and would appreciate anything you would be willing to share. I would especially appreciate information on Fidelia's siblings.

You mentioned that our connection is through my great grandmother Lettie Strickland and I'm curious as to where you fit into the family tree!

Glad we have made a connection.

Arthur Burch (View posts)
Posted: 12 Mar 2006 10:29PM GMT
Surnames: JEWELL, STONE, STRICKLAND, PIERCE, PHETTEPLACE, RORK, DUNNING
Hello Frances,

Thanks for the info. I've been researching our JEWELL ancestry for several years, and have traced the family back to Thomas JEWELL, born about 1608 in England. My research had found Fidelia JEWELL married George W. STONE, had sons Alpheus and Frank, and that Frank had married Lettie STRICKLAND.

Fidelia (1840-1905) descends from Pardon W. (1820-1905), Moses (1791-1870), Jesse (1749-1837), Nathaniel (1718-1782), Joseph (1673-1766), Joseph (1642-1736), Thomas (1608-1654). Jesse was the original JEWELL to settle in Franklinville.

Pardon W. JEWELL married Lydia PIERCE (1818-1914) on 08 Sep 1839 and they had six children:
1) Fidelia JEWELL, born 16 Jul 1840.
2) Martha JEWELL, born 13 May 1842, married George PHETTEPLACE, had 2 sons.
3) Cyrus JEWELL, born 20 Dec 1844, no further info.
4) Caroline JEWELL, born 28 May 1847, married Ansel M. RORK
5) Eli JEWELL, born 23 Aug 1849, married Jane Eleanor DUNNING, had 2 sons.
6) George JEWELL, born 25 Oct 1852. no further info.

Hope this helps. If you want more info, please let me know. I'm leaving in the morning for vacation, so won't be available to respond for a couple of weeks.

Pat Stearns (View posts)
Posted: 18 Aug 2006 10:30AM GMT
Surnames: strickland
Hello,
Just ran across your query on Stricklands. I am a
descendant of John Nelson Strickland's brother
Mirenus. I have much information on the family and
would love to exchange information.

Patrick Stearns

Frances Boston (View posts)
Posted: 18 Aug 2006 9:39PM GMT
Surnames: Strickland, Waltz, Palmer, Stone, Jewell, MacPherson
Hello Patrick,
Thanks for your reply! I'd like to exchange information with you also. Most of the information I have is on the descendents of John Nelson Strickland. I haven't been able to go back further than Samuel Kelley Strickland and Permelia Waltz. I have the names of Permelia's parents Peter D. Waltz and Hannah Davies. I have some information on Peter Waltz' service in the Revolutionary War. Do you have any information on Samuel Kelley Strickland's ancestors?

Would you like me to send you a pdf file or an ms word file of the information I have? I recently obtained a picture of some of the children of Samuel Kelley Strickland which includes John Nelson Strickland, Chester Strickland, Robert O. Strickland, George Frank Strickland, Samuel Harrison Strickland, Mirenus Strickland and Matilda Strickland. I would be happy to forward that to you as well. Let me know what information you would like me to send - should I send to the e-mail address from your posting?

You may use the e-mail address I used when sending the original post.
Great to hear from another cousin!

Fran Boston
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions