Search for content in message boards

Unable to register or activate my 6 months free access with FTM 2010

Unable to register or activate my 6 months free access with FTM 2010

Posted: 24 Sep 2011 6:43PM GMT
Classification: Query
My brother and I are researching our family tree. He uses FTM2010 and I recently purchased the same version. The software installed fine (I have Win7 64bit version running on a PC) but I cannot get any further.

When I try to activate my free subscription it tells me I must be registered. My account status is showing as registered guest (from when I registered as that previously) but even though I have now bought the software, I cannot get it to proceed beyond that.

I can get an email on how to reset my password, and do this successfully and get confirmation back it has worked but then I get stuck.

When I try to activate my subscription I get an error message saying "no matching user name or email address and password was found." This is despite the fact I have had confirmation that I am using the correct username and password.

I tried setting up a separate registration (thinking maybe my earlier guest registration was getting in the way) using an alternative email address. That was even stranger. It refused to accept it responding with an error message saying there was a non-alphabetic character in my first name (Hazel?). And no I did not include a space by mistake. I tried signing out and signing back in and still got this same error message.

What should I do next? (I am running the software as administrator btw).

Re: Unable to register or activate my 6 months free access with FTM 2010

Posted: 24 Sep 2011 7:05PM GMT
Just to add that I have had automatic confirmation of my registration with AvantQuest on installing the software

Thank you for registering Family Tree Maker Platinum 2010 with GSP/Avanquest Software

it is the registration/ subscription activation with Ancestry that I cannot get to work

Posted: 24 Sep 2011 7:07PM GMT
Edited: 24 Sep 2011 7:07PM GMT

I am using it as administrator.

Posted: 24 Sep 2011 7:45PM GMT
Hazel,

Your confirmation email does not sound like it came from Ancestry.com.

Do you have an account at Ancestry.com?

Do you have any online subscriptions there OR an Ancestry Member Tree? If so, are you able to access them OUTSIDE of Family Tree Maker?

Russ

Posted: 24 Sep 2011 10:33PM GMT
OK I click on the FTM icon and bring up main screen.
Help (Click). Chose Register FTM option (Click).
Welcome Thank You for Purchasing FTM
Accept terms. (Click)
Register (Click)
New screen: Login to Your account
UserName: hazelmaryjackson (entered)
Password: mypassword (entered)
Login (click)
Error: No matching user name or password etc

Login option - Forgot your password. (Click.)
Ancestry.com screen new screen.
Displays
CustomerLogin option (selected)
UserName: hazelmaryjackson (entered)
Password: mypassword (entered)

Logs me into ancestry.com successfully with message
Hi hazelmaryjackson.
My account (Click)
Account subscription details (Select)
Refreshes
Shows I am registered with a Guest Account

Back to FTM Desktop icon (Click)
Welcome screen FTM appears as first time above including Help option. Help (selected)

Next
Instead of Register FTM, this time select Activate Sub
New screen - FTM by ancestry.co.uk -appears
Activate your subscription (Select)
Login to your account
Username: hazelmaryjackson (entered)
Password: my password (entered)
Error message: No matching user name or password

As I said it looks as though because I registered originally with a guest account, with ancestry.com I am unable to activate my subscription with .co.uk.

It is as if .com is waiting for me to upgrade to paid for sub and does not have any interface to the paid for .co.uk sub which is supplied when you buy the software?

Posted: 24 Sep 2011 11:41PM GMT
Hazel,

Thank you for the details. Very helpful.

Please go to the Knowledge Base website:

http://ancestry.custhelp.com/

and enter 5047 in the Search Support field and click on the Search Button. That will take you to an article that should help you with this.

Russ

Posted: 25 Sep 2011 8:44AM GMT
Edited: 25 Sep 2011 12:46PM GMT
sorry if this message comes twice - just tried to send but it crashed. Link you gave works but search code does not. No article just a nil reponse saying 0 Q&A and a contact us button. Did you mean 5047?

And just to confirm, I can log directly into Ancestry.co.uk but only as a registered guest (14 day trial offer I used originally to set this up expired months ago). There seems to be no mechanism to use the 6 months sub which comes with family tree maker, to upgrade my status here.

The obvious solution would be to remove the trial offer status and start again, but there does not seem to be any mechanism to do this either......

Posted: 25 Sep 2011 12:51PM GMT
Hazel,

Sorry, that should have been 5037.

My bad.

Thank you,

Russ

Posted: 25 Sep 2011 12:56PM GMT
Thanks Russ

That takes me to instructions on how to by-pass registration. Before I do that, a query. If I am not correctly registered as a result, will I still be able to activate my 6 months free ancestry subscription?

Posted: 25 Sep 2011 1:04PM GMT
Hazel,

Yes you should.

Russ
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions