Search for content in message boards

Klara Gunhilda Larsdtr. Immigration 1904

Klara Gunhilda Larsdtr. Immigration 1904

Posted: 5 Mar 2013 7:39AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 5 Mar 2013 1:18PM GMT
Searching any information on Klara Gunhilda Larsdtr. (Paalsmoen) born 7. Sep 1889 in Nordsinni, Nordre Land, Oppland, Noway.
Klara arrived in New York on SS Baltic 2. Sep 1904, and passenger list states she is going to her uncle Hans Bardalen, Minnesota. (Hans Andreas Andreassen Bardalen born 26 Nov 1859, lived in Pomme de Terre and Otter Tail, Minnesota)
Klara visits Norway when her father dies in 1910, registered in Norwegian 1910 census as US citizen. She is married, but census record does not give married name.
So far, I have found no traces of her in the US.

Klara Gunhilda Larsdtr: http://visitusinmaputo.com/webtree/individual.php?pid=I3272

Greatful for any information on this person.

Re: Klara Gunhilda Larsdtr. Immigration 1904

Posted: 5 Mar 2013 5:09PM GMT
I think you should take another look at the passenger list for Klara arriving in New York. It looks to me like you might have picked up the wrong line for where Clara "Paalmaen" (as ancestry transcribed it) was heading. The way I read it is:

Line 7 Paalmoen, Clara Gunhilde, 15, female, maid, ", ", ", Scandanavian, ", Fort Dodge, Iowa, Self, Kr 36, no, Sister Clara Johansen, 14 Pine St. Fort Dodge, Iowa, "

I believe the Uncle Hans Bardalen is actually for the next passenger, Ida Nordby.

So that might give you another direction to search.

Posted: 5 Mar 2013 5:26PM GMT
Thank you for looking in to this.
This is how I red it the first time also, but the fact is: Klara had no sister, and Hans Bardalen was indeed a close relative (but not her uncle)
Also, the Norwegian emigration record says she is going to MInnesota.

Still searching....

Posted: 5 Mar 2013 9:51PM GMT
Edited: 5 Mar 2013 10:20PM GMT
We can look on the Minnesota Official Marriage System (MOMS) at www.mncounty.com

The Minnesota Historical Society has a Minnesota Census in 1849-1905; Births; and Deaths (not complete databases)
at www.mnhs.org

The USA Library of Congress has a collection of old newspapers called "Chronicling America." We can check the Minnesota newspapers for a news item.

Find a Grave memorial to Hans Andreas Bardalen
buried Our Saviors Lutheran Cemetery
Dalton,** Otter Tail County, Minnesota
**(Dalton is same address listed on the 1904 manifest for Hans Bardalen):
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=BA...;

I did not see Clara in this same cemetery.

1910 US Census
Otter Tail County, Minnesota
Hans A Bardalen 49
Mathia Bardalen 39 (called Mattie in 1940 census)
Anna 19
Gina 17
Henry 12
Alfred 9

Otter Tail County [Minnesota] Historical Society www.otchs.org

Posted: 6 Mar 2013 12:15PM GMT
Thank you
If Klara really went to her "uncle" Hans Bardalen, I would expect to find her in the 1905 census, but still no luck.
Guess I have to broaden my search....

Posted: 6 Mar 2013 1:51PM GMT
Edited: 6 Mar 2013 2:16PM GMT
I agree. I searched the Minnesota State Census (at Minnesota Historical Society/Family History/State Census) for Klara/Clara and Larson/Larsen or Palsmoen/Paalsmoen and did not find her. I did find a Clara Larson age 21 in 1905 in Otter Tail County. Of course, if she did not answer the census, and someone else gave her answers for her, they could estimate her age to be older. Also I suppose she could be married by the time of the 1905 census, but I did not find a marriage for her in the Minnesota Marriage Index.

The Otter Tail County Historical Society has volunteers who will do local look ups. Perhaps a volunteer could visit Our Saviors Lutheran Church in Dalton, Otter Tail, Minnesota to see if there is a marriage record for Clara.

Posted: 7 Mar 2013 7:52AM GMT
I doubt she could be married by the time of the 1905 census, as she was only 15 years old. Anyway, we know for certain that she got married between 1904 and 1910. If a volunteer would look into this, that would be great.
Many thanks

Posted: 7 Mar 2013 2:33PM GMT
Edited: 7 Mar 2013 2:34PM GMT
Yes, perhaps a volunteer living in Otter Tail County can help.

To get a local volunteer to help, go to the Otter Tail County website, posted above:
http://www.otchs.org/

You will find this person named: "Vicky Anderson, Research Assistant. Address questions about research and genealogy to Vicky."

Click on Vicky's name to write to her.

Good luck!

Posted: 7 Mar 2013 8:00PM GMT
Is there any Norway immigration information for Klara's return to America after visiting (for her father's death)

Posted: 7 Mar 2013 10:02PM GMT
Edited: 7 Mar 2013 10:03PM GMT
I have previously searched for Carla returning again to the USA, on Ancestry.com and also Ellis Island website. I parsed for Karla/Carla Paalsmoen and variations of Paalsmoen (using wildcard *). I also tried her using Karla Larson, but it is much harder to "see" with that name. Would you mind searching the Ellis Island site yourself with "Larson/Larsen"? That would be a big help...unless you feel sure she is using the name Paalsmoen (which she did on her first trip to the USA, and also used that surname in the Norwegian census). If she returned under a married name...

Are you sure she did return?

Sometimes the volunteers on Norway-Heritage site amazingly find records that others did not. A wonderful forum, free to register.
LINK:
http://www.norwayheritage.com/

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions