Search for content in message boards

Adam Goetz

Posted: 2 Sep 2011 8:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Goetz
Looking for information on Adam Goetz. He was born September 1839 in Germany. He came to the US somewhere around 1865. He married Catherine Hild in 1870 in New York. They had 5 children: Katherine 1871, Elizabeth 6/26/1874, Herman 4/1875, August 1876 and William 1881.

Re: Adam Goetz

Posted: 14 Jul 2012 5:46PM GMT
Hello,

My name is Paul Rouvell. I have no additional information about Adam or Catherine at this time but I am the Great Grandson of their daughter Elizabeth. Are you related to Adam and Catherine?

Posted: 17 Sep 2012 6:24PM GMT
Hi Paul,

Thank you for answering. I hope we are talking about the same family. My Great Great Grandparents were Adam(9/17/1839-8/11/1911) and Catherine Hild Goetz (4/23/1842-8/13/1920). They were both born in Germany and married in 1870, Manhattan, NY. Their daughter Elizabeth Goetz(6/26/1874-1/31/1974) married Bruno Gunther. Then their son Walter married Naomi Clarke Gunther which are my grandparents.

Posted: 18 Sep 2012 9:43PM GMT
Surnames: Goetz, Hild, Gunther, Jungmann
Hi,

This is the same family. My Grandfather was August Gunther, a brother of your Grandfather Walter.

Since July, I have had some success in tracking the Hild family to Ruchheim, Pfalz, Bavaria, Germany (Now part of Ludwigshafen), and back to the early 1700's.

Also, Bruno came from Grossrechtenbach, north of Frankfurt and his father and mother were Johannes Gunther and Elisabetha Jungmann.

I am traveling to Germany tomorrow and hope to learn more.

What is your name? Did you live in Staten Island?

Posted: 19 Sep 2012 7:52PM GMT
Hi Paul,

My name is Robin Bennett. It's nice to have someone else to discuss the family history with. Congrats on going to Germany. I always have wanted to go and see where our family came from. You'll have to let me know what it is like. Unfortunatley, I did not grow up in New York. I am originally form Florida and now live in North Carolina. I did not get the chance to meet alot of the family up there. I would love to be able to share what info we have. Years ago my aunt (Aunt Margie, the eldest daughter of Walter) gave me a copy of a family tree that was made many years ago. Do you have all your info on the website?
Can't wait to hear back from you. Have a great trip.

Robin

Posted: 4 Oct 2012 5:22PM GMT
Surnames: Gunther, Goetz, Hild
Hi Robin,

I'm just back from my trip to Germany, which my wife and I really enjoyed. I agree, it's nice to have someone else to discuss the family history with.

I did make some more progress in learning about the Gunther family while I was there and I also was able to visit briefly two towns where the Gunther and Hild family's lived for a number of generations. The towns are Grossrectenbach, about an hour North of Frankfurt, where the Gunther's lived and Ruchheim, about an hour south of Frankfurt, where the Hild family lived. They are nice small towns which were agricultural, and still are somewhat although the Ruchheim area has growth developing around it.

To answer one question you had, the Jacob Hild that is mentioned on the Adam Goetz immigration document was her older brother. Once I found his record on familysearch.org, and saw that he had the same parents as Katherina, I knew I was headed in the right direction.

When in Germany, I was also able to visit the state archive for Hessen, the state within which Grossrectenbach is located. That archive is in Wiesbaden. There, I was able to view the actual record books showing births, baptisims, marriages and deaths. In the time I had, I was able to see that Bruno's father, grandfather and great-grandfather were all named Johannes.

I have what I have found so far on the website, but I will have to change the setting to public so you can see it. I will do that ( once I figure out how). I think it's fairly accurate, but I'm sure it can be improved on and added to.

I would love to see what you have also. I remember seeing the actual immigration record for Adam Goetz when I was very young and had remembered the name. It had been sent to my mom from Aunt Elizabeth, who was the sister of Walter and August and lived in Maine. We only had it for a short time before returning it to her. I wonder if someone in the family still has it.

Let me know if you can access my tree and what you think once you have.

Best regards,

Paul

Posted: 5 Oct 2012 4:53PM GMT
Hey Paul,

I'm glad to hear that you and your wife had a nice time. Maybe one day I will be able to take the trip. If you do not want to make your tree public, you can invite me as a guess and I can view your tree that way. I sent you an invite to my tree (Mapstone Family Tree). Hopefully this will work and you will be able to access it. I'm sure their is info that I need to update or change. Between the two of us we should be able to connect the tree.

Robin
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions