Search for content in message boards

I am a Lost Lamar! Anyone recognize my family names?

I am a Lost Lamar! Anyone recognize my family names?

Posted: 12 May 2011 2:02AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: LAMAR
Hello!

My grandfather's name is Lawrence Leroy Lamar. He had a sister, Lorene, and a brother, Lloyd L. His father's name was Harry William Lamar. Harry seems to have been raised by his mother, Nettie, and step father, John "Jack" O Tansey. Anyone have any missing pieces? I can't seem to get any farther.

Thank you,
Carleigh J. Lamar

Re: I am a Lost Lamar! Anyone recognize my family names?

Posted: 12 May 2011 6:21AM GMT
where are you from? My Lamars are from Kentucky and Maryland

Posted: 12 May 2011 2:46PM GMT
I am from Rhode Island where my grandfather Lawrence Lamar lived out the end of his life. He was born in Missouri.

We are the only Lamars that I have found in New England and there are only 5 of us. My father, Garry William, his two brothers Stephen and Larry. Myself, Carleigh J, and my sister, Mia Danielle.
While my grandfather traveled around in the military, he had two different sets of children. It is possible that your Lamar family and mine could cross here. The two children of his that I have not located yet are two daughters who would be about 60 right now.
Let me know if any of this helps.

Posted: 12 May 2011 3:19PM GMT
Where in RI? My house in Westport Harbor is on the Little Compton line, so I'm as close as possible to R.I.
I have found several Lamar's around Boston including one who has C.A.L. Lamar's bible at his house.
Tom Lamar Coughlin
author "Those Southern Lamars"

Posted: 12 May 2011 7:57PM GMT
Rhode Island is like one large town, so It's hard to say where I technically live.

But I grew up in North Kingstown, where my grandfather Lawrence Leroy Lamar had been stationed. ( He was at the Quonset base.)

My sister and I are the only two grandchildren from his last marriage. Outside of my sister, 2 uncles, and father, I haven't met a single Lamar!

Posted: 12 May 2011 7:59PM GMT
Would you happen to know anything about a Harry William Lamar? I am having trouble tracing my name back any farther than him as it seems he was raised by a step father and I cannot seem to locate his father's name. He is my great-grandfather, born in Missouri.

Posted: 12 May 2011 8:06PM GMT
Well, I live in New Hampshire now, but I have lived in Rhode Island when I first came to New England. My husband is from Warwick, and I still have a nephew, a great nephew, and a niece living in RI. My sister passed away there in 2008. At any rate, I've been in New England for about 40 years, and I have never heard the name Lamar or even seen it. My Lamar ancestors were from South Carolina, and perhaps yours were from the South also. Is that possible? My gg grandmother was a Mariah Lamar, born in about 1815 in the Pendleton or Pickens District of South Carolina. I believe her father was a Thomas Lamar.

Posted: 12 May 2011 8:21PM GMT
So what time period are we talking? The late 1800's, the early 1900's, or what? When do you think Harry Lamar was born? Or your grandfather?

Posted: 12 May 2011 10:26PM GMT
You can also try posting here to see if anybody has info. that can help you.
http://genforum.genealogy.com/lamar/

Posted: 13 May 2011 1:40AM GMT
Hello Fellow New Englander,

I suppose we are some of the only Lamars descendents used to snow storms instead of heat waves.

Was Lamar your maiden name or an ancestors name? I live in Wariwck right now! Although, RI is just like living in one big town.

I have follwed my Lamar name only as far back as my Great-Grandfather, Harry William Lamar, who was born in Flemington, Missouri. He seems to have been raised by his stepfather since a young age so I have not yet been able to find out what his birth father's name is. Frustratingly enough I've found that, MUCH unlike the North East, the South is chock full of Lamars.
Thank you for the names, I will use them on my search!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions