Search for content in message boards

Does FTM require Ancestry.com subscription?

Does FTM require Ancestry.com subscription?

Posted: 29 Sep 2011 6:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have been an Ancestry.com subscriber until I recently let my subscription expire. And all of a sudden, bingo, a lot of my work is gone. Well, actually it is not gone but I now cannot open a specific census or record that I attached to a particular individual to see the actual document and information. The only way to be able to access the actual records I have attached to my ancestors is become a subscriber for the rest of my life.

If I purchase FTM, begin subscribing to Ancestry.com and download my tree into FTM, and then cancel my subscription again, does the actual image for a given record reside on my laptop so I can view it, or does it still reside in Ancestry.com, in which case I will no longer be able to view it after my subscription expires.

I have done hundreds and hundreds of hours of work, and I now find that unless I am willing to make a monthly payment for the rest of my life, a lot of my work is worthless. Don't mean to sound bitter, but to some degree I am. So now I want to be able to redo much of it and have it on my computer and not be forced to write a check every month.

Thanks for your advise

Re: Does FTM require Ancestry.com subscription?

Posted: 29 Sep 2011 6:32PM GMT
Here is what I would do:

1) Buy FTM 2012
2) Re-subscribe on a monthly basis and cancel before the month is out (this way you will get access to all those images).
3) Download your online stuff from Ancestry directly into FTM2012. (This *should* copy all those images down to your computer)

If the images don't download then you have time to start downloading them from Ancestry to your computer individually. If you need more time you could subscribe for another month.

This is one reason I always recommend *always* saving a copy of an image to your computer even if you have it attached to a family tree on Ancestry. It will always be available to you that way.

Posted: 29 Sep 2011 6:42PM GMT
The short answer is yes, you can download all of your tree, including 'Ancestry images' to your local computer.

I will speak of FTM 2011, which I am familiar with. FTM 2012 has a tree sync feature, which although probably great, requires an ongoing subscription which you do not wish to have.

In FTM 2011, you first download your tree. Plan Workspace - Download a tree from Ancestry. This downloads all the basic people and event information, and any multimedia (such as your own photos or stories) that you originally uploaded.

At this point, Ancestry content is still just a link to Ancestry's copy of the document requiring you to have a subscription.

There is a second step (I call it CTRL-F5, but it's a multi step process, that will download all the Ancestry content to the media folder in FTM2011. Then you have everything on your PC.

I am not sure whether this process is available in FTM 2012, since it's claim to fame is the ability to maintain both an Ancestry member tree and a local PC tree in FTM, and update one when the other is changed. I don't know if they maintained the 'complete download' functionality described above.

But, if you buy FTM 2011, and resubscribe to Ancestry temporarily, you should be able to get everything on you local PC.

Paul Gray

Posted: 29 Sep 2011 6:52PM GMT
Just a bit more info.

For a description of the Ctrl-F5 process that downloads Ancestry content, enter 5325 in the keyword search at:

http://ftm.custhelp.com

Paul Gray

Posted: 29 Sep 2011 6:58PM GMT
It sounds like I may be able to get everything, including images, down onto my computer. I'll be interested to see if anyone can indicate if that CTRL-F5 feature still works in FTM 2012.

Ancestry.com provides a great service and I was willing to pay for that service. But I am not willing to pay for it forever. And I didn't realize the extent to which they would "take back" their service after I stopped paying. As the earlier poster said, I have learned from experience that I need to download any image I want to keep.

Thanks for your comments.

Jim

Posted: 29 Sep 2011 9:08PM GMT
Jim,

With FTM2012, you don't need to use the CTRL+F5, as that is the purpose of the TreeSync™ feature. Data and Images will be downloaded.

Russ

Posted: 29 Sep 2011 9:21PM GMT
Images download but only with an Active subscription(?

This is why I'll always have a complete local tree on my system including record images.

Regards,

Posted: 29 Sep 2011 9:29PM GMT
It is my understanding that tree sync does not require a subscription in itself, since the basic tree online has always been free. It is the ability to search for new records and access to images of records that require a subscription, and this has been true for earlier editions of FTM, as well.

Renewing your subscription temporarily should allow you to download the records from the tree (they are still attached, you just can't see them without the subscription), so you shouldn't really have to do all your work over again. The ability to cancel your subscription and then renew it when you intend to use ancestry's search services doesn't strike me as a bad way to go.

Posted: 29 Sep 2011 10:26PM GMT
Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions. FTM is apparently very highly rated and is one of the best packages on the market. So it sounds like that is the way to go. I am a mac guy so will need to get FTMM, but assume the functionality is basically the same. I just want to get something that I can pass on to my kids, with all the details, about their ancentry and they don't have to pay to look at it.

Thanks agin to all and may your ancestry hunting be productive.

Jim

Posted: 29 Sep 2011 10:51PM GMT
The current Mac version does not allow Tree Syncing. Wait for the new version to come out.

Regards,
per page

Find a board about a specific topic