Search for content in message boards

Clune

Posted: 11 Jul 2011 8:35PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Clune, Pond, Uppington
My Grandmother told us that there was an article in Life Magazine, circa 1939, about the Clunes from the village of Clune, County Clare, Ireland. She said there were three sisters: Mary, Margaret, and Anne (Anna?) who came to the USA in early 1800. Mary died and Margaret and Anne were convent educated who open a dressmaking business. Margaret married George Pond, a sea captain later lost at sea, and had one child Anna Pond known as Sis Pond. Anna Clune married John Uppington.
Posted: 12 Jul 2011 7:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
Your grandmother probably meant Clooney which is part of the Clooney-Quin Parish in East Clare whose church records date back to about 1818. I know that there was an Anne Clune from that parish married to a Culligan but will have to check my records to confirm this and get back to you.You should check out the genealogy section of Clare County Library at www.clarelibrary.ie for lots of genealogy information on Co.Clare.

Regards from Co.Clare

Re: Clune

Posted: 7 Nov 2012 1:47AM GMT
Classification: Query
Your grandmother is correct as far as Life is concerned. I don't know about the rest of the info. I was pretty sure the article was in an April issue but I spent at least 2 hours going through back issues of Life and couldn't find it. I had seen it before and made a note of the date but now I can't find the note. It was about a town Life called Quintown that had 30 families, 27 in the town proper and 3 on the outskirts. I believe the town was Quin, not far from Ennis in County Clare. If anyone knows more about that article, I would appreciate more info.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic