Search for content in message boards

James H. and Gabriel Davis

James H. and Gabriel Davis

Posted: 8 Apr 2005 7:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 9 Apr 2005 4:59AM GMT
Surnames: Davis, Kincaid
I have been seeing my Davis ancestors, who I have reason to believe may have been Quaker. I keep hitting deadends.

My gggrandfather, Gabriel Davis, was born Octoer 18, 1809 in what is now Simpson County, Kentucky. His father was James H. Davis, born in March of 1783, in North Carolina.

From here I am unsure. From some source, which I can no longer remember, I have the father of James H. Davis as being John Abraham Davis, born 1757 in North Carolina.

Gabriel Davis married first married my gggrandmother, Cynthianna Kincaid in 1833 in Oakdale, Marion County, Missouri. She died young and he later married Matilda and Martha Harrison (sisters) One at a time, of course.

Gabriel is buried in the Union Chapel Cemetery in Shelby County, Missouri.

Does any one have any information on this line of Davis?

Re: James H. and Gabriel Davis

Posted: 20 Jun 2007 4:32AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have Davis Quaker ancestors from NC, and info on many generations. But I don't see your James or Gabriel. Research William W. Hinshaw's Quaker Encyclopedia Vol. 1-5, it's an index of each of the monthly meetings (MM) in every location. If your family was a Quaker, you'll need to determine their worship location most often named after streams, creeks or rivers, i.e., Cane Creek, Bush River, Elk Creek, etc. You'll find info pertaining to family membership, transfers to/from other MM locations (great for tracking migration), disciplinary notes, births, marriages, deaths, etc. Though Hinshaw's research is considered the authority since he referenced the actual written records, his volumes are a secondary source so ther're may be some mistakes or exlcusions. And there are missing records. Also, there are at least two adendums that I've come accross that were published after the original volumes in early printing, then included in the volumes in later printing.

Hope this helps.

greg.morley@comcast.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions