Search for content in message boards

Minetree

Minetree

M Frank (View posts)
Posted: 28 Apr 1999 7:50PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 12 Nov 2009 1:08AM GMT
Surnames: Minetree
I am searching for any info on this name. My grandmother, Myra Linden Minetree (married to Allen Ambrose Lanzarone in Richmond Va) was the last daughter to John Minetree and Mary Lou Davis, plantation owners in VIrginia. I know that Minetree is French, but I can find no reference to the name anywhere online. If you can send me any info, I would appreciate it.
Posted: 25 Jul 1999 6:34PM GMT
Edited: 12 Nov 2009 1:06AM GMT
Surnames: Minatra, Minetree
Myra, I just found your posted message on Ancestry.com. My husband is descended from David Minetree of Dinwiddie County VA. The name has been spelled in every imaginable way on census records since one David was named as a French refugee in 1700. Many people are searching this family name. I have a copy of a family coat of arms with a brief statement about the name. Would like very much to correspond with you re your John and our David. Julia Savage Minatra, Rutherford County, TN

Minetree

Carol Minetree (View posts)
Posted: 19 Oct 1999 9:49AM GMT
Hi my name is Carol Minetree and I also am researching this last name. I am currently sending away for some information and should there be anything of interest I will be sure to let you know. My father's name was James Max Minetree. I can trace back somewhat but as to the information of the name Minetree I am getting ready to research it in it self and will let you know what I come up with.
My father was born in Arkansas and I have traced back to a Napoleon Minetree in Virginia. Good Luck in your research.

Re: Minetree

Janet Sullivan (View posts)
Posted: 10 Sep 2001 8:10PM GMT
My grandmother was a Minatra from Giles County, Tennessee before marriage. She was born in the 1890's. I always thought Minatra was an Indian name but by reading the message board it looks to be of French origin. What does Minetree/Minitree/Minatra mean and why was the spelling changed?

Posted: 28 Jun 2004 9:49PM GMT
Edited: 6 Sep 2004 5:38PM GMT
Surnames: Minetree/Minatra
Carol, Did we ever correspond regarding your message on RootsWeb? My husband is from the Minetree/Minatra family of Bunker Hill in Giles County TN. We know that family members from this line moved to Texas, perhaps some of them were in Arkansas. Where in VA did Napoleon Minetree live? Would like very much to continue on this line with you.

Julia Savage Minatra jminatra@bellsouth.net
Rutherford County TN

Re: Minetree, VA

Posted: 11 Nov 2009 2:48PM GMT
Edited: 12 Nov 2009 1:07AM GMT
My great grandmother was married to a Minetree out of Emporia Virginia, William and Estelle Minetree.

Posted: 5 Apr 2011 3:52AM GMT
Carol,

If he is the same Napoleon Minetree, he is my great grandfather. I believe he sired three children Reuben Forrest (my grandfather) Margret and Richard Sr.. Reuben sired two boys Alvin Louis (my father) and Robert Lee (no issue). My father sired me and my three sisters: Rebecca Louise (now Jensen), Jennifer Ann (now Orona) and Gretchen May (now Elg). Richard sired three sons: Richard, Jr. (no issue), Dr. Thomas and Harry (Tom, Dick and Harry). I don't know all of my Minetree second-cousins' names.

Posted: 8 Jun 2011 3:09AM GMT
I believe the original spell was Ménéstreir (pronounced may-NAY-tree-ay). It comes from the old French word for minstrel. This would indicate that the family were musicians/minstrels during the Middle Ages when people took on surnames. I assume that the spelling was changed due to the excessive silent letter in French. My father was Alvin Louis Minetree and came from Poplar Bluff, MO. He grew up there with his brother Robert Lee and their three first-cousins Richard Jr., Thomas and Harry (Tom, Dick and Harry) (all Minetrees).

Posted: 16 Feb 2013 1:14AM GMT
The origiinal spelling of the name is Mennstrier, going back to the Middle Ages in France. The name derives from groups of wandering minstrals, many of whom were poets. It was the Mennestrier who codified the rules of romantic, courtly love. David Minetree, the first Minetree in the New World, arrived in Williamsburg, Virginia. He and his brother escaped religious persecution in France in the late 1600s, frirst to Switzerland then to Germany, then to England, where they changed their name to Minetree to avoid persecution David Minetree designed and built Carter's Grove
in Williamsburg for King Carter, the richest man in the colonies. Send me your email addresses and I'll give your more.

Posted: 16 Feb 2013 1:26AM GMT

Would love to the the Minetree coat of arms.
Thanks, Harry Minetree, grandson of Napoleon Minetree.
Email: MinetreeH@AOL.com

per page

Find a board about a specific topic