Search for content in message boards

Really need help!

Really need help!

Posted: 24 Jan 2011 3:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Ok guys thanks for the replys in the previous post.... to explain more my grand fathers name was Charles George Umlah, when he went to get his old age pension they told him his real last name was Charles George Shippien. In further research I found out that his mother married a George Umlah and this is why he had the umlah name. Also his name Shippien is from his mother it was her maiden name. On his birth certificate I found his real father is shown as un known... is there anyway possible I could find more details about his father... Im not sure if George Umlah adopted my grand father or anything. Thanks in advance!

Re: Really need help!

Posted: 1 Jan 2013 4:43AM GMT
Chris,

I too am searching for Shippien information, however a different person.
My Shippien woman had children out of wedlock as well.

I have seen the birth record of your grandfather and your right, no father is listed - mother is listed as unmarried, so it was common to take the mothers surname, in this case Shippien.

If the father is not listed in the records, its very unlikely you will find anything about him. It was common for a child to take his/her step fathers surname, in your case Umlah - which would explain why when he went to get his pension it came up "shippien". Because of this it sppears that George Umlah did not legally adopt him, but rather "gave" him, his surname.

As I have noticed Shippien is not a very common surname. We very well could have a link to each other somewhere down the road.

Feel free to contact me if you need any help :)
Melissa
gen_bug@hotmail.com

Re: Really need help!

Posted: 1 Jan 2013 8:43PM GMT
Chris,

I have put together a bit of a tree of the Shippien surname, as I troll through records in hopes of finding MY Shippien linked in somewhere.

The tree I have so far includes your grandfather Charles George Shippien. Im happy to share what little I have so far.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic