Search for content in message boards

Payne Town Cemetery

Payne Town Cemetery

C. Hamilton (View posts)
Posted: 22 May 2004 2:36AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Rose/Davis
Looking to confirm "final resting place" in Payne Town Cemetery for Eliza Sawyer Rose (10-3-1912). Also her daughter, Mary Jane (Rose) Davis. (Would like to confirm death dates, too.)

Re: Payne Town Cemetery

Posted: 22 May 2004 6:42PM GMT
Edited: 21 Nov 2004 9:47PM GMT
THE CEMETERIES OF SWAIN COUNTY,N.C., pg. 378 lists Eliza Sawyer Rose (Jan. 1, 1827-Oct. 3, 1912) andMary J. Rose Davis (Jun. 12, 1860-Apr. 21, 1924) w/o David R. Davis

Would like to share Sawyer information. My gr-great-grandfather William Hamilton Sawyer was Elizabeth Sawyer's brother.

Re: Sawyer Connection

C. Hamilton (View posts)
Posted: 23 May 2004 4:34PM GMT
Thank you so very much for the quick reply and the dates for Esther Eliza (Sawyer) Rose and her daughter Mary Jane (Rose) Davis. That will be a huge help. As for the Sawyer connection......I just recently received paperwork listing the children of Joel Sawyer and Esther Thompson.....which does list your great-great grandfather William Hamilton Sawyer!! I do have a little information on my Rose family (my great-grandfather was Samuel Brooklyn Rose, whose parents were Esther Eliza (Sawyer) and Joseph Rose), but basically, have no information concerning the Sawyers. Wish I could say that I had lots of information on my ancestors, but sadly, information on my own Rose connection is very, very limited......for insistance, I have no idea where Joseph Rose (my great-great grandfather) died......when or where he was buried, etc. Wondering if your "cemetery source" would have any information on Joesph Rose? Would be glad to share what little information I have on "our Sawyer connection".......still am so shocked to receive a reponse from "kin"....it really is a small world!!

Posted: 28 Aug 2012 8:20PM GMT
My great great grand mother is Mary Jane rose Davis who marred David rollins Davis. you can find them on a site called find a grave memorial.com..I see that the Sawyer is your family to. I may have some stuff for you on that side of family. I hope to her from any that reads this.thanks Rhonda Davis Shelfer

Posted: 28 Aug 2012 8:29PM GMT
Mary Jane rose Davis 1860-1924 Burial in Paynetown cemetery.Swain county north.Esther Eliza Sawyer Rose1827-1912.Burial Paynetown cemetery. Mary Jane Rose is my great grandmother.

Posted: 29 Aug 2012 4:24AM GMT
Surnames: Davis, Green
Rhonda,

My G-Grandmother Arminda Angeline Davis Green was the sister of your David Rollins Davis.

I would love to work with you.. lynda2@bellsouth.net

Posted: 29 Aug 2012 10:02PM GMT
That would be nice.Here is my phone number.you can call me on Monday's that is when I have the day off.. After my father passed away i stared to to his family tree. I am just lost on some of the people.Lot's of Davis and Proctor in the family but now I see the Abbot's Green and Sawyer,And more. I hope I may have what you need and I hope you my have what I need to move forward with this family tree..I love doing this..Thank you Rhonda Davis Shelfer...541-382-1918

Posted: 30 Aug 2012 11:07PM GMT
Mary Jane Rose Davis was my great grandmother. I need information on her race.I was told by family she was a Cherokee.Can any one find out if this is true.the paper i have on Joseph Rose was originally buried at Judson cemetery on the North Shore of Swian county in accordance with Judson cemetery records.That cemetery was flooded in 1943 with the building of Fontana Dam and all the graves had to be relocated.His grave is now marked my a simple wooden cross.I think his grave is where his son is Andrew J Rose at Lauada Cemetery in Bryson city nc. I hope this help's out...Rhonda Davis Shelfer

Posted: 31 Aug 2012 7:33AM GMT
Surnames: Keener
FYI

Her death certificate states she is "white". it is located on ancestry.com, won't let me copy it however. Here is a link to the Graves that were impacted by Fontana Dam. TVA sent it to me in 2000 and I typed this up..

I was looking to find where my Great-Grandfather Ully Keener had been moved. He is at Lauada also.. but.. IF TVA moved them, TVA paid for a marker to be put up.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~lynda77/da...

Posted: 1 Sep 2012 1:09AM GMT
Rhonda, Mary Jane Rose Davis' great grandmother Ester Gantanaga Black was reportedly Cherokee, but when the removal of the Cherokee was taking place, she claimed to be 1/4 Indian and 3/4 Black Dutch to avoid being taken to Oklahoma. Later when her descendants tried to get on the rolls, they were denied because of her previous declaration. I'll be happy to send you a couple of articles about it if you'll email me at francesnrogers@yahoo.com with your email address. The articles are on Ancestry.com and cite the petitions made by her descendants.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions