Search for content in message boards

George and Mary (Kenniston) Mack

George and Mary (Kenniston) Mack

Posted: 2 Sep 2002 8:22PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 30 May 2005 5:45PM GMT
Searching for info on George and Mary (Kenniston) Mack in Carroll County area. They had 4 children that I know of: Mary, George, Sarah, and Rowena(my ggg grandmother). It seems they do not appear in any census records as I have checked from years 1820-1870. From what few records I have seen, Mary was from Madison/Eaton area and George from Danville, VT? I hope there is someone who can help. Thank you, Peter

Re: George and Mary (Kenniston) Mack

Posted: 17 Sep 2002 1:51AM GMT
Surnames: Mack, McMarch, Torrey
I too am searching for the same George and Mary. My link is with Sarah Mack who married Francis Torrey. I found her listed as Sarah A. on the 1860 Penobscot County 3r4 census.
Accordingly her age was such that she would have been born around 1829 and it indicates Maine. I read another board that stated she was found in 1880 in Carrol county, having married a Benjamin Hutchins. I located a Hutchins in Dixfield Maine where my gggf was born in 1849.......I have also seen indications tha her given surname was McMarch. Keep me posted, as I simply can find no George Mack that matches her. I also say a town record posted at belmontnh.homestead that lists her as beiong born in Canada. Was this Danville, Vt. once part of Canada?

Posted: 17 Sep 2002 1:52AM GMT
Surnames: Mack, McMarch, Torrey
I too am searching for the same George and Mary. My link is with Sarah Mack who married Francis Torrey. I found her listed as Sarah A. on the 1860 Penobscot County 3r4 census.
Accordingly her age was such that she would have been born around 1829 and it indicates Maine. I read another board that stated she was found in 1880 in Carrol county, having married a Benjamin Hutchins. I located a Hutchins in Dixfield Maine where my gggf was born in 1849.......I have also seen indications tha her given surname was McMarch. Keep me posted, as I simply can find no George Mack that matches her. I also saw a town record posted at belmontnh.homestead that lists her as beiong born in Canada. Was this Danville, Vt. once part of Canada? Check Torrey entry...in Belmont, NH

Posted: 23 Sep 2002 11:20PM GMT

Posted: 24 Sep 2002 7:51PM GMT
Hi Peter...not sure the last message posted. In the records of Eaton NH, go to Early Eaton Records or Madison NH Hisotorical Society which has a link....you find George Mc Gothlin and the appropriate birthdays for George Mack and Mary Kennison. (lots of Kennisons recorded there as well.)
I checked the Census record for the year and found George Mc Glothing. Went through corresponding years and found all of the first nmes that I thought were Macks and then noticed that the spelling changes seemed to go from Mc Gothlin, Mc Gothling, Mc Laughlin. In 1850 Census I located a Roena Mc Laughlin age 12. If you use the ancestry census viewer, enter for 1850 search George Mc Laughlin and at the end of page 38 you find him and on the next page, Roena. I think these may be our ellusive, Mack family. The 1850 record shows Sarah in Penobscot Maine, town 3r4 I believe, married to Torrey and a son, George f. age 1. George was my gg gf.

Posted: 24 Sep 2002 8:09PM GMT
follow -up Torrey's
Francis P. Torrey & Sarah A. Mack 1860 Census, Penobscot Me.

George F. Torrey age 11
Joseph G. 9
Ralph Torrey 8
Jennie Torrey 4, listed as Nancy J.
Adalade Torrey 1, listed as Mary A.

all born in Maine, Mexico, Dixfield, Penobscot areas.

George F, married Elizabeth Thompson, she was from Ma.
daughter of James and Hannah Thompson

Will send more later or you can check the ancestry file for Francis Putnam Torrey in Main, there are 4 files though the data is sketchy and not correct, George and his siblings are listed......the entry for Walter is incorrect, it shows him married first to Eva Stalker, which was his last marriage and his last childed was Walt, Jr. who was killed in Miami in the early 60's while being robbed. He is burried in Belmont NH, next to Walter, Alice Turcotte, Eva Stalker and George F and Lizzie Thompson. If interested drop me a note and I'll send you a copy of all that I have got when I get it together in the near future. The problem is the Mack's and if you concure in the future we may have that problem solved.

Posted: 25 Sep 2002 10:07PM GMT
Hi Ron,
Thank you so much for the info. I do have some more info on George and Mary. I found a record of George Mack, who died in 1870, age 94 yrs., was removed to Chocoura Cemetery in Tamworth, NH from Home Place?, Tamworth, NH( I'm assuming he was buried on their property). Also Nancy, not Mary, died in 1874 age 84 yrs., was also removed to Chocoura Cemetery. I can find out where this cemetery is.

Rowena Mack 1st married Warren P.Laskey on 4 Sep 1857 in Milton, NH. They had 2 children: Augusta Annie(my gg grandmother) b. 4 Jun 1858 in Milton, NH d. 4 Sep 1908 in Farmington, NH. George Henry was b. 2 Jul 1859 in Milton, NH d. 17 Oct 1948 in Wolfeboro, NH. Warren died in the Civil War at Port Hudson , LA 14 Jun 1863.

Rowena's 2nd marriage was to John T. Blazo on 17 Oct 1870 in New Fields, NH
Augusta married John A. Wentworth 22 Jun 1878 in Milton Mills, NH. George Laskey married Bertha Loud in 1882 in Maine. Just to let you know I live in Belmont, NH. So if you need for me to look up something, just let me know. Peter

Posted: 23 Nov 2002 4:50AM GMT
Peter, where you able to locate anything on the Mack-McGlothlin lines in Eaton? If I get back home to Belmont we can share some info.

Posted: 6 Mar 2005 1:15PM GMT
Saw your information on George McGothling. I think you have hit the jackpot on this one. Sarah Ann was born in 1826 (my Great, Great Grandmother).

I'm from Sandwich, NH, if you or Peter are looking for directions for the Chocoura Cemetery is North of Ossipee on the right hand side of the road. It is at a four corners, if you look to the right you will see a church with the cemetery behind it. It is one of the cemeteries, I have not been to. I'm going to try to get there this summer.

Thanks for your work.

Nancy

Posted: 6 Mar 2005 6:00PM GMT
Hi Nancy,

I went to the Chocoura Cemetery last spring and found quite a lot of information there. George and Mary are both buried there as well as their daughter, Adeline (Mack) Tewksbury, who married William Tewksbury. Many of Adeline's children are buried there also.

George's grave has flag next to his stone showing that he served in War of 1812.

Do you have information on your great great grandmother, Sarah's 2nd husband, Benjamin Hutchins/ Huckins? Did you know they had a child, Albert? Talk to you soon.

Peter Welch
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions