Search for content in message boards

SCHARF ADOPTION 1890

SCHARF ADOPTION 1890

Posted: 10 Oct 2002 10:17PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: SCHARF,FISHER,HEARN,BATKA,COAKLEY,SHEEHAN,RAFCIK,CHAPPELL
Theresa SCHARF was adopted by a German family in Baltimore MD around 1890,at the age of 14. Does anyone know how I can use that much info to learn more about Theresa? My GGGrandmother. She later married John FISHER in 1902 in Quincy MASS.

Re: SCHARF ADOPTION 1890

Posted: 11 Oct 2002 12:20AM GMT
Probably a long shot, but there is a John Fisher, born 1901 listed in the Social Security Death Index from Quincy, MA. Could he have been their son? That information can be reached at www.Ancestry.com - then click on "Advanced Search" and the click onto Social Security Death Index

jennifer Chappell (View posts)
Posted: 11 Oct 2002 6:12PM GMT
Hi, thanks for the info. I think John was their son. I have some information on him . Its going the other way that I'm not sure about. Do I trace her biological parents line, or switch to the adoptive parents line, generally speaking?

Reg Niles (View posts)
Posted: 12 Oct 2002 2:33AM GMT
Your message does not state whether SCHARF is her birth name or adoptive name.

If it's her birth name, check her out on the 1880 census, to see if she is living with one or more of her birth parents. I do not know if that census has been indexed.

Reg Niles
RegNMINiles@cs.com

Jennifer Chappell (View posts)
Posted: 12 Oct 2002 3:50AM GMT
I do not know, but I am pretty sure Scharf was the adopted name. Then again, she was adopted at age 14, so who knows. I'm not even sure how I would find out??? Thanks though!

Posted: 12 Oct 2002 9:23PM GMT
I don't find a Theresa Scharf in the 1880 census for Baltimore, so am guessing that was her adoptive name. There were two Scharf families, where the father was born in Germany, but none of the children listed would be in the Social Security Index, as they would all have been too old to work by the time it was started. I can send you the names of the persons living in each of those households, if you think it will help. Maybe you could find a newspaper obituary for one of them, that might list Theresa as a sibling?

Re: SCHARF ADOPTION 1890 - Reply 1

Marie (View posts)
Posted: 3 Nov 2002 3:46PM GMT
http://awt.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?ti=0&surname=sch...
(appears as two-line URL)

Friend, Online,
Marie

P.S. Choose Edit, then Copy, then Paste into your Address window.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions