Search for content in message boards

Isle of Man, and "Messer Farm" in NY

Isle of Man, and "Messer Farm" in NY

Posted: 19 Feb 2003 9:35AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Messer
I found this letter, and I was wondering if anyone knew anything about it. It's dated Sept 30, 1930

Dear Grandchildren Florence and Edd:

...Way back in the 1700 my Great Grand Father came from the Isle of Man and settled in Rutland, Vermont and married an Indian Squaw which bore him one son (my grandfather). He married a Vermont girl which bore him six children, three girls and three boys. The girls names were Colisty, Sefrony and Mahalie. The boys names were George, John (my father) and Horace, whom I was named after. My grandfather was a tool maker and blacksmith in the Rutland, Vermont marble quarries. My great grandfather had a brother by the name of John I Messer, a colonel in the Rev. Army and after the war ended, he was given 160 acres of land which he leased to the US for 99 years. This land is located on the Hudson River called now Riverside Drive and Grants Tomb is on this land. It was called in early days as Messer Farm. In 1870 this lease ran out and there was a search for the Messer heirs but through some hook or crook the Messers could not be all located. Fahter's sister spent most of the fortune trying to settle this estate but gave it up as a bad job. This 160 acres were valued at on hundred and seventy-five thousand dollars. As we all know nothing has ever been settled so eventually it will revert back to the US by default...

He goes on, but I was hoping that someone would know something that I can add to my big puzzel here! If you know anything please e-mail me. Thank you!

Leigh Ann Messer McClure

Re: Isle of Man, and "Messer Farm" in NY

Posted: 8 Sep 2003 10:36AM GMT
Please email me at this email
My ancestry married a Indian princess
I'll ask my father about it .
You can e-mail me at cynsnrick@yahoo.com

Joan Messer Heller (View posts)
Posted: 8 Oct 2004 2:19AM GMT
My grandfather's name was Robert Messer and his father's name was Madison Messer. He was one of 4 brothers that came from overseas.

Posted: 27 Oct 2013 9:48PM GMT
I am a Messer and we have John in our family tree. Would love to hear from you.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions