Search for content in message boards

Felix Seymour - Father

Felix Seymour - Father

Tom Seymour (View posts)
Posted: 28 May 2004 9:16AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Seymour
My Family is directly descendant from Felix Seymour. I have tried to find information on his father. Most of what I see states that his name was George (I have seen some who believe that his name was also Felix). Nobody has information on his wife, siblings, etc. Most seem to state he was from Collerraine, Ireland.

Yesterday, I came across something interesting. I found a family tree on line that lists:

Father - John; born Enniskellen, Ireland ;died - lost at sea
Father married to Jane Wroughton in 1720, In Enniskellen; Jane was daughter of Seymour Wroughton;
Three children from this marriage - (1)John Seymour, (2) William Seymour; (3) Felix Seymour.

I am trying to find confirmation of this infrmation.

Can anbody tell me where, or what, to try?

Or, does anybody have proof of this family link?

Thank you,

Tom Seymour

Re: Felix Seymour - Father

Laura Dill Morton (View posts)
Posted: 31 Aug 2004 5:08PM GMT
Tom: I read your post with great interest, though I can't confirm anything. The dates certainly fit what I know about Felix. I am also a direct descendent (though his son Abel). I would love to know if you are able to confirm this.

Thanks

L

Posted: 31 Aug 2004 5:30PM GMT
Tom: After my last post I googled to see if I could find the source of your information. I remember seeing this web site before. I think I was put off by the connection to the Earls of Hertfordshire -- my great grandmother promoted that Seymour link as well & included it as gospel in a Dill family genealogy published in the 1930s (very popular then to claim royal connections). Call me skeptical but I don't believe that Felix Seymour was of royal/noble descent. I am inclined to believe that his father had known the Renicks in Northern Ireland and that both families had been in the cattle business there (but this is based on anecdote and what little I know about the Renicks).

That said, it doesn't mean that the John/Sarah Wroughten information is wrong. I've always wondered what happened to the rest of the Seymours that the father supposedly went back for.

Tom Seymour (View posts)
Posted: 1 Sep 2004 9:56AM GMT
If you are descendant through Abel then you are in the same line as me and are my cousin. I am descendent from Felix through Abel, through Abel's son Garrett, through Garrett's son Abel Renick Seymour, then Absolom Jennings and so on. I am sorry, but I have not been too active in looking for information, as I sold one house and moved into another. I do now live very close to West Virginia and do plan to go and see if I can find any information. I will keep you posted and I will also notify of the change in e-mail address.

Posted: 2 Sep 2004 5:11PM GMT
I am also descended from Garrett (via youngest son Felix). I have lots of letters that had belonged to Felix (I mean the younger Felix, my great great grandfather), including a few from around the time of Garrett's death. Most of the letters are from his uncle RR Seymour, who appears to have staked Felix in Illinois after he went bankrupt in Ohio. Primarily about the price of cattle and other agricultural commodities but occasional other tidbits. There are a few letters from Felix's sister Elizabeth Sidney Seymour Renick; a few from his brother William Seymour; a few from various Harness, Welton, McNeill & Cunningham relatives. I keep meaning to put my web site up -- have a lot of it made but have trouble finding the time.

L

Tom Seymour (View posts)
Posted: 2 Sep 2004 8:47PM GMT
I would like to get a look at the information on the descendants of Garett's son Felix and fill my family tree on that branch. But, as you indicate time is a precious comodity at this time. I am working on pruning the deadwood from my family tree. I had over 60,000 names in it and a lot proved to be junk, so I am in the process of cutting out the junk names and info, it takes a lot of time.

I now live in Culpeper VA, which about 45 minutes away from the Morrisville and Hardy County WV. I plan to take a trip there soon and see what information I can come up with.

perhaps we can communicate via our regular e-mail in lieu of the message board.

Thank you.

Tom Seymour

Posted: 3 Sep 2004 3:07PM GMT
Sounds good to me & will save time retrieving stuff from my spam box -- use mortonsil@earthlink.net.

We recently moved also and though I have all the geneaology stuff in one pile, it is still at the bottom of my priority list. I still haven't found a lot of stuff since the move and keep meaning to take the weekend to look around and throw out the garbage that was accidentally moved and get a grip on where things are. It's a never ending struggle.

I have always wanted to go to Moorefield & its environs especially after reading the really early letters to Felix from cousins there that fondly recall their days fox hunting through the hills and describe trips to Baltimore to sell cattle etc. I'm half afraid that if I went I would be disappointed because reality is so contemporary (like when you go to Europe and find that the site you wanted to see has been turned into a bar).

Susan (View posts)
Posted: 16 Sep 2005 8:41PM GMT
Surnames: Seymour
I, too, am a descendent of Abel through his daughter Ann. I was wondering if anyone has found Felix's father with actual documentation.

I have visited Moorefield, and if you haven't made your trip yet, I strongly suggest it. Of course, it isn't exactly the same as when our ancestors lived there, but it is a quaint town with friendly people. It should be pretty easy to find someone who knows the family places, especially if you start in the library. Try to time your visit for Heritage Weekend.

I hope that you enjoy it!

Susan

Posted: 8 Aug 2010 4:58PM GMT
Hi
I am also a descendant of Felix Seymour. I found this out from the Daughters of the American Revolution information.
I am looking for the link between England Seymours and those in America. I also have record of George Seymour as father of Felix. I have some old information in my records as well.

Amanda Griffin

Posted: 4 Jan 2011 12:19AM GMT
Surnames: seymour,parsons
we have been looking for a man named archibald seymour 1857-1859. one son samuel seymour,hardy county, west virginia. mother married amon boswell when samuel was 2 years old, we cant find any ties to any seymours of the west virginia seymours. would like info if you have any. thanks jmsjln
per page

Find a board about a specific topic