Search for content in message boards

William Loman or Lowman

William Loman or Lowman

Jerald W. Frost (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Loman, Lowman
Searching for any information on a William Loman or could have spelled it then as "Lowman"....born in North Carolina abt 1775, thought to be in Burke County, NC. Seen in Madison County, Kentucky marrying Sally Golden in 1800....was in the War of 1812....wishing to find who his parents were and go from there.

Lowman

Linda Rector (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
There is a Lowman book written by Margaret Lowman Smith, Mildred Lowman Speagle, and Ruby Lowman Young from Burke County. They have a William Lowman born April 27, 1787 to Lewis Lowman and Elizabeth Mull Hildebrand. He was reared by his father and stepmother "Peggy" Lowman. William married Barbara Burns on December 17, 1809 . William died December 1, 1874 .

George Lowman

Posted: 16 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 31 Jan 2002 3:31AM GMT
Surnames: LOWMAN, BOUGHMAN, SHEPHERD
Looking for information on George LOWMAN from Burke Co NC.
He was in Burke Co around 1881. I understand his wife was an invalid. He moved away from Burke Co at some point. He had a relative, Della LOWMAN-still living in the area that took care of my grgrandmother, Sarah BOUGHMAN, before she died. Thank you for any information,since I am just starting to research this line.

Burke Co.

Lu Harrison (View posts)
Posted: 30 May 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Shepherd, Bruce
William Franklin Shepherd Sr. spouse Martha Ann Lucretia Bruce resided in Burke Co., Greens Cut in 1883 while he was section master for the Macon & Brunswick Railroad. Would like to share info on this line & the M&B.
Lu Harrison

Lowman family

Posted: 27 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 25 Mar 2002 1:59PM GMT
Surnames: Lowman, Howard, Hildebrand

Thank you for the information on Martin Lowman. I would like to know a few things. What county did Lewis and his wife live in? Where they in Burke Co? Also concerning Elizabeth Howard, you mentioned she was name in her parents will. What were their names? Were they Benjamin and Mary? What county was their will listed. Thanks again for your help! I really appreciate it!! One more thing, in your response you stated that the mother of Martin was Margaret and also Elizabeth Mull Hildebrand. Which one is it or are they the same person. Thanks again!

Lowman

In "the Lowman Story of Faith, Hope, Hard Work, and Dreams byMargaret Lowman Smith, Mildred Lowman Speagle, and Ruby Lowman Young" on page 46 it says:

Martin Lowman was born in 1789 to Lewis Lowman and his wife Peggy (Margaret0. Martin married Elizabeth Howard on November 7, 1815 in Lincoln County. Marriage bond read: State of North Carolina, Lincoln County
Know all men by these presents that we, MARTIN LOWMAN and BENJAMIN HOWARD our heirs and executers, administrators and assigns are firmly and severely held and firmly bound in the sum of five hundred pounds to be paid to his Excellency the governor or his successor in office to be void on condition that there be no just cause to hinder the rites of matrimony from being celebrated between MARTIN LOWMAN and ELIZABETH HOWARD, otherwise to remain in full force and virtue. Witness our hand seals this 7th day of November, A.D. 1815, MARTIN LOWMAN and BENJAMIN HOWARD. PHILIP WHITENER, Justice of the Peace. ELIZABETH, wife of MARTIN LOWMAN, was named in her parents' wills, 1825 and 1827, listing ELIZABETH and MARTIN's children as ALPHEUS, DANIEL W., SARA A., MARY E., AND ELIZABETH W. LOWMAN.

We found MARTIN LOWMAN listed only once in the Burke County Census for 1820:

1 male under 10 years of age

1 male 26-45 Martin was 31

2 females under 10 (Since they had only been married only 5 years, this daughter

must have been from a previous marriage)

1 female 26-45 This is either ELIZABETH or the above female is ELIZABETH and

and this her mother MARY

We have found very little information on MARTIN. We found his paying poll tax in 1816; being over 21 years of age. but it also states he owns no land. He was found in the 1822 and 1824 at the selling of his father's estate, as buying several items, including 100 acres of his father's land. We did not find him in the 1830 Census or ate the estate settlement of his brother LEWIS LOWMAN in 1847. We must conclude he moved west, but more likely, died young and is buried in the Lowman Cemetery.

The book has Martin Lowman as the son of Lewis Lowman (Lawan) and Elizabeth Mull Hildebrand.

Lowman Family

Edited: 25 Mar 2002 1:59PM GMT
Surnames: Lowman, Howard

I am researching a James Martin LOWMAN, b Nov 13, 1793, NC, married Elizabeth Howard, 1815, in Lincoln CO. NC (next to Burke CO) James Martin LOWMAN moved to Tazewell CO. ILL. Does anyone have any information regarding LOWMANS who may have moved to Illionis? Thanks

Lowman family

Posted: 28 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
In the book it says that Martin was the son of Lewis and Peggy (Margaret) Lowman. They lived in Burke County, NC. I'm not sure what Elizabeth Howard's parents names were; they might have been Benjamin and Mary. It does state that Martin and Elizabeth got married in Lincoln County. At one time all of the western part of North Carolina was Burke County in the early 1700's; before it was divided into more counties. The ladies that wrote the book might be able to help you more. Their addresses are:
Mildred Lowman Speagle; Route 3, Box 41-C; Vale, N.C. 28168 and Margaret Lowman Smith; P.O. Box 114, Hildebran, NC 28637 and Ruby Lowman Young P. O. Box 83, Hildebran, N.C. 28637.
Posted: 26 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jun 2001 5:54PM GMT
Surnames: Lowman, Huffman, Abee
You mentioned in your query 3 ladies names who wrote a book on Lowman's.
Can I still write to them, to see if they have any information on my Lowman's. They are from Burke Co., N.C.(Connelly Springs and Valdese)
Please e-mail me at dotibaby@hotmail.com
Thanks,
Dottie

Lowman book

Posted: 27 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jun 2001 5:54PM GMT
Thank you Linda, for replying to my message.
Dottie
dotibaby@hotmail.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions