Search for content in message boards

Hendrickson NY Native American connection

Hendrickson NY Native American connection

Posted: 6 Nov 2005 11:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
My G-Grandmother Fannie Hendrickson born Apr 5 1867told our family that we had Native American lineage. (Choctaw Cherokee) I don't know if she meant the Hendrickson or Abrams side since she came from both

She was the daugher of Hope Hendrickson (b 1846) and Margaret Abrams (b 1846) She was the daughter of Jacob Abrams & Margaret Roshorne)

She was married to Hiram Abrams (b1854)

They lived in Inwood and Lawrence. Does anyone have info on the Native American history?

Re: Hendrickson NY Native American connection

Posted: 28 Apr 2006 7:11PM GMT
Surnames: Hendrickson, Hendricks, Hendrix, Hulse
Hi, Allie,

I'm descended from a Hendricks/Hendrickson/Hendrix family in Sullivan Co., NY. We also have stories about Native ancestry but it came through a family that Mary Hendrics(on) married into but we think it was through Mary.

Mary Hendricks(on) was the daughter of John S. Hendricks(on) and Anna McClarnon. John and Anna would have been born around 1800. Mary would have been born about 1825. Mary married James D. Hulse. They were my great great grandparents. Their daughter Fannie was my mother's grandmother.

When my grandmother saw me behaving differently than the rest of the family, she always told me it was because I inherited all the Indian blood in the family. When I asked her about it she always told me that my great great great grandfather went to the mountains and brought back a 'squaw' as his wife. She didn't tell me which great great great grandfather. She didn't tell me which mountains.

Since most of the Hulses I've met have a similar story it made sense to figure it was through the Hulses and some think that in our family line, it was actually Mary.

I've been doing the research a long time. The Hulses lived in the Minisink region in NY, NJ and PA. It would make sense that they might marry Native people in that region which would be mostly Lenape and some of the Haudenosaunee nations. The Hendricks(on)s seem to have been there quite a while as well.

I've begun to do DNA testing on descendents in the appropriate lines.

There's Native ancestry in my father's family too and it's closer in time but just as difficult to verify.

If any of these names ring a bell, please contact me.

Thank you.

Allie (View posts)
Posted: 29 Apr 2006 3:22PM GMT
None of the names look familiare at this point. However I hit a brick wall on my Hendrickson side so I'll save your post because you just never know when that wall might come crumbling down.

The last Hendrickson I've been able to trace back to is my G-g--grandfather Charles who was 51 on the 1850 NY census for Valley Stream NY. His wife was Mary Lamberson (45). Their children were Stephen (14), John (8) (later owned Hendrickson Construction in Valley Stream) Joseph (7), Susan (6), Hope (5) My G-grandfather & Peter (4)

I've sent in my dna sample which will confirm or deny my Native American connection. I'll let you know how it comes out.

Thanks for the info!

Re: Hendrickson DNA

Posted: 30 Apr 2006 2:48PM GMT
Have you joined any group?

I went and had my DNA done and joined the Hendrix DNA project since they seem to have a large # of Hendrickson participants, and the DNA confirmed that my Hendrickson side is all Nordic.

Chris Hendrickson (from the other Hope Hendrickson on Long Island)

Nfancy Hendrickson (View posts)
Posted: 30 Apr 2006 3:56PM GMT
Surnames: Hendrickson
Hi,

Are you at Family Tree DNA? If so, would you also join the Hendrickson group? We thought we might be part of the Hendrix folks, but no matches there - - so we're trying to get Hendrix or Hendricksons to join both groups so nothing falls through the cracks. Thanks in advance,

Nancy

Posted: 30 Apr 2006 4:05PM GMT
I did not know that you could be in more than one group, so I am now part of your group also..

Thanks

Nancy Hendrickson (View posts)
Posted: 30 Apr 2006 4:19PM GMT
That's great! Thank you for joining.

Nancy

Allie (View posts)
Posted: 30 Apr 2006 6:11PM GMT
I'll let you know what my dna results are.

Posted: 1 Apr 2008 1:41PM GMT
I have a Hope Hendrickson born @1845 to Louis B. Hendrickson and his wife (Mary?, Catherine?, Cornelia Anne?), who according to family legend, was a Native American, probably Mohawk. I don't have anything else on Hope. Siblings I have as Jacob H.(b.1938), Joseph(1842), Louis(@1845), Mary Catherine(8/10/1845), Cornelia Anne(1847), John William(10/15/1849), William(1852), George(9/14/1853), Charles G.(10/8/1855), and Jane H.(1857). Most of these were born or lived in the Sullivan Co. and/or Ulster Co., NY area.
Do you have any further info on Hope?

Posted: 2 Apr 2008 4:27AM GMT
My g-g-grandfather Hope was born c February 1846 the son of Charles was married to Mary Lamberson and lived in Valley Stream, NY. Not sure where the Hemdrickson line goes back from there. I have them on the 1850 census. Their children were Stephen, John, Joseph, Susan, Hope & Peter. Two of their sons started Hendrickson Brothers in Valley stream.

Hope married Margaret Abrams and they were living in Inwood on the 1870 census. Their children wer Harriet and my g-grandmother Fanny.

Here's info I got from Lyle Hendrickson. The Hope 2 he refers to is my g-g-grandfather.....

The recent thread about Hendrickson-Abrams marriages prompted me to add another Hendricksion/Abrams marriage from my searches

In accumulating various records about my g grandfatjher, Hope Hendrickson, a second Hope Hendrickson was identified in the same general area of Fosters Meadow/Valley Stream as my 2g grandfather. I shall refer to this other Hope Hendrickson as Hope2.

Hope2 first appears in the 1850 Federal Census of Queens County, Town of Hempstead, NY in the family of Charles and Mary (Lamberson) Hendrickson. Hope2 was listed as age 5, (estimated birth = 1845). Charles was listed as a farm laborer, age 51 (birth = 1799); Mary as age 45 (birth =1805). Other children listed in the 1850 census were: Stephen (16), John (8), Joseph (7), Susan (6), and Peter (4). Charles’ son John was later identified as John Corner Hendrickson who founded the Hendrickson Brothers Construction firm of Valley Stream .

Hope2 married Margaret Abrams, date/place unknown, but probably in the Town of Hempstead sometime before 1866 when his daughter Harriet was born (1870 Federal Census, Town of Hempstead, Queens County, NY, p 513). Daughter Fanny, age 2 (birth = 1868) was also listed in the same census.

Hope(2) died of January 23, 1910 of arterio sclerosis and valvular & muscular cardiac degeneration and senile dementia (Death Certificate #3670, Town of Hempstead, Village of Inwood). He died intestate, and his property (a house on Henry Street, Lawrence) was awarded his widow and heirs (daughters Margaret Miller and Fanny Abrams) by Letter of Administration, Case 0034580. The Death Certificate lists the name of his mother and father as enumerated above. He was buried in Lawrence Methodist Episcopal Cemetery, Lawrence, NY on June 25 1910. I visited this cemetery around 1998. It was in deplorable condition with many tombstones knocked over, missing, or broken; graves apparrently dug up and garbage strewn about. However, a letter to the church on the site at that time (Iglesia Alianza Christiana y Misionera) confirmed that a H. Hendrickson is buried there.

Margret Abrams has been identified as one of 11 children of Jacob Abrams (born 1790 Far Rockaway NY) and Margret Roshorne (born 1806 Ontario, Canada. They married 1824 in Ontario. The Abrams line is defined back to Charles Abrams, born 1654

I don't have any more information about Hope2. About my g grandfather Hope Hendrickson and his lineage, I have information that could, and has, filled a book.

Lyle Hendrickson

per page

Find a board about a specific topic