Search for content in message boards

George McMillin

George McMillin

Posted: 2 Mar 2012 12:46AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McMillin
I am searching for information about George McMillin shown in the 1901 census as being an RIC sergeant at Killaloe, Co Clare Ireland. He subsequently moved to Corofin Co Clare, where he was also an RIC officer. Can anyone help me with his subseuent movements or those of this family, particularly Thomas McMillin and Eileen McMillin?

Re: George McMillin

Posted: 3 Mar 2012 6:54PM GMT
not sure where you are located - but one option that's worth trying is the RIC service records. These will show the various posting that George had, and you could then try following up on those. LDS and certain Libraries have films of these records.

Shane

Posted: 16 Mar 2012 3:29AM GMT
George was my grandfather. Could you kindly tell me a bit about yourself? Thank you.

Posted: 20 Mar 2012 1:52AM GMT
Dear 1_k_carson: I would like to connect if that is not too threatening. Or, if you have learned my grandfather George and Aunt and Uncle as mentioned are not your relatives, would you kindly let me know on this board? Thanks so much.
Sharon

Posted: 20 Mar 2013 5:09AM GMT
I am the son of George's daughter Eileen. George was therefore also my grandfather. I live in Australia and have become intrigued about the family history in Corofin, particularly the activities of George with the RIC and of Thomas who I think left home. Any help appreciated.

Kit

Posted: 20 Mar 2013 5:48PM GMT
Dear Kit: I'm Sharon McMillin, Richard Charles' daughter in Canada. Good to hear from you. I believe Corrofin was a posting for George with the RIC. His son Thomas doesn't show up in the Census of 1901, when I believe they were in Killoloe (SP).My passenger list Information for his trip to N.A. shows him as hailing from Cliffony, Sligo. Do you know where the family came from originally, or what our great grandfather's name was? Being born in Canada, I'm a bit out of the loop.
Oh, my mom receive a prayer card when Thomas died, in the seventies. Cousin Aileen in California did meet him before he passed.

Posted: 22 Mar 2013 10:45PM GMT

Thanks Sharon. I originally trained as a historian and now that I am virtually retired am turning those skills to these questions. Was the reference to Cliffon(e)y listed as George's place of birth? Or was it his place of residence when he travelled to NA. If the former, then I possibly have some interesting information for you. If it was his place of residence, then it may help with dating the departure from Corofin. Do you know anything about where he died in Ireland?
The entry in the 1911 census is confusing because the census taker misspelt the name as McWillin. Best,Kit

Posted: 23 Mar 2013 11:33PM GMT
Hello Kit: Thank you for your reply. I just read the guidelines for message boards and they appear to be rather restrictive. One rule states that posts to this particular board relate only to Clare! How we manage that with all the roaming the family has done, I'll never know. If you can access my tree, you will find the document of his passage to North America. He has stated his birth place to be Cliffony. Our cousin once removed in the U.S. has told me he died in Newtonards, County Down. Of course the manner of his death is only speculative. I'd like to correspond privately (more leeway). By the way, I only knew your parents briefly, but they seemed lovely people. Thanks so much for the tip about 1911 Census. I had thought they'd been barrocked for security. I know some folks were protected that way. Must be the historian in you, who checked out McWillin!
Regards,
Sharon

Posted: 24 Mar 2013 3:12AM GMT
Sharon,

Would e-mail be acceptable? Mine is k.carson@dcsi.net.au

Kit

Posted: 25 Mar 2013 5:18PM GMT
Do we Irish say "Gorgeous!"? I'll be in touch.
Sharon lsallen95@gmail.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic