Search for content in message boards

Sloans in Highland County/ Eli Sloan

Sloans in Highland County/ Eli Sloan

Nathan Sloan (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Sloan, Pulliam, Winter, Williams, Hayden
Looking for information on Sloans who lived in Highland County, Ohio; especially Eli Sloan (11/29/1830-4/18/1873) married Margaret Pulliam ( 12/17/1830-1/20/1890)and had seven children:
1.) Orrie Adna Sloan ( Winter)
2.) Millard Fillmore Sloan
3.) Olive A. Sloan ( Williams)
4.) Kate L. SLoan ( Hayden)
5.) Nathan Elmer Sloan
6.) John Erret Sloan
7.) Hugh Wilfred Sloan
Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Sincerely,
Nathan e-mail: sloan@england.com

Sloan(e)s and Bell

Posted: 1 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jun 2001 9:40PM GMT
Surnames: BELL, PURDUM, MORGAN, McATINNEY, BLOOM, McKEE, DENNIS, HENDERSON
Dear Nathan, I have a ggg aunt, Lacy Bell, who m. James Sloan (spelled several ways). He was an attorney in Highland County. Lacy d. 1822, is buried in the Ebeneezer Cem., outside of Mowrystown. The Bells lived in WhiteOak Twp., also Judge Samuel Bell li. in Hillsboro. James Sloan remarried. Are these people of your family? I can send more then. Barb

Re: James Sloan

Nathan (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Sloan, Slone, Sloane, Collins
Hello Barb,

Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure if James is related to my line of Sloans or not, but I would greatly appreciate it if you could mail me information on James and his family.
Thanks,
Nathan sloan@england.com

Collins, a very common Melungeon name

Posted: 9 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jun 2001 6:37PM GMT
Surnames: Collins, Helseley
Dear Nathan Sloan:

You mention COLLINS. We are looking for Aseneth Collins, who married Joseph Helseley. They lived in White Oak Twp, Highland Co, maybe Mowrystown.

I call your attention to my response to Richard Caudill, entiled "Caudill, possibly a Melungeon".

Probably the most common Melungeon name, far more common than Caudill, is COLLINS.

If you desire to learn more about the MELUNGEON: COLLINS, please join us in Columbus, Saturday, August 7, 1999. There is a wonderful 25 minute video and several books that discuss Collins and show pictures:

N. Brent Kennedy:
----------------

Uncle Will Collins ....inside cover

Mahala Mullins with jar of moonshine, ca. 1870; courtesy of
Scott Collins ...p.17

Mary Polly Collins Cox ...p.18

Scott Collins and longtime Sneedville, TN resident, Huie Mullins ...p.19

Pamunkey Indians, Virginia. (Simeon Collins family), Courtesy Smithsonian Institution ...p.156

Brent has a table on page 141 showing the Melungeon name as it relates to the Spanish/Portuguese names:

MELUNGEON ..........SPANISH/PORTUGUESE

Collins ............Colina/Colinza/Colinso

Manuel Mira
-----------

Scott Collins, Hancock Co, TN, Clerk Master, a Melungeon descendant ...p.xxi [I met him at the Berea College Melungeon Workshop held June 25 & 26, 1999.]

Martha Collins, a Melungeon descendant and ex-president of the Sneedville TN Citizen's Bank, photo courtesy of Jean P. Bible ...p. 81

"Back in Sneedville, seated at her desk in the Citizen's Bank ... gray-haired and blue-eyed Miss Martha Collins, its 74-year old President, said thoughtfully, 'Yes, some of my ancestors were Melungeons. We don't know but we think possibly they were descended from Portuguese or Spanish from Navarre. Some months later at my home, we looked at slides made in Nazare, a Portuguese fishing village, and others of scenes and people in Tangier, Morocco. Miss Martha studied the pictures carefully. Then with typical banker's caution, she said slowly, 'They might be., but I just don't know. If anything the Portuguese look more like the Melungeons I've always known all my life than the people in Tangier.'"

In the Collins case, look to the Santa Elena story of 1526. If your Collins relate to the Santa Elena settlement and the forts extending up into the mountains in Surry Co, VA; then your European bloodline may predate the Mayflower by 94 years.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Phil Beltz

Re: Collins

Nathan (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Collins, Sloan, Slone, Pulliam
The Collins that I am speaking of is Sarah Collins (3/12/1807-6/2/1873). She married John Sloan (Slone) Feb. 1, 1827 in Highland, County, Ohio. The had a total of seven children together( I have the names if you are interested). I have been unable to find Sarah's parents and would appreciate any help in doing so. Thanks for your reply, and I hope to hear from you again.

Thanks,
Nathan sloan@england.com

Re:John Sloan

Posted: 13 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Sloan, Slone, Collins, Scarborough, Guthrie
Hello Barb,

Thanks very much for the information, I greatly appreciate it. This is my family line. I just recently(last couple of days) have put it all together. I am interested in the dates you mentioned in the above post, as well as, any other information you may have on these Sloans. I wrote, in the post "found parents" a short tree of my recently found information on these Sloans. John Sloan Jr's father is John Sloan Sr., his father is William Slone(b.abt.1730 in Ireland). You had mentioned where John was burried, could you give me exact directions to where he is buried? I am going to try and find the artical in the " BUCKEYE CALIFORNIAN" regarding the Sloans. If I can supply you with any information, just let me know, I will gladly do so. Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks,
Nathan sloan@england.com

more SLOAN info

Surnames: PURDUM, BELL, McATINNEY, McKEE, HENDERSON
Dear Nathan, Here is the Sloan info I said I'd send:

James Sloane m. Lacy Bell 4 Feb 1819 in Highland Co., Ohio
James was b. 18 Nov 1793. He d. 24 Oct 1885 in Sedalia, Missouri.

CH:

Eliza b. 28 April 1828 (nor corr. date, see below)

John b. 10 June 1821

Mrs. Lacy Sloane d. 18 Oct 1822.

James re-married Nancy J. Pangborn.

CH:

Hampton P.
Marinda B.
Margaret
Samuel P.
Joseph
Jane
Sarah Annie
Martha Elizabeth all born in Highland Co., Ohio

I have dates for them if interested.

James Sloane's father was: John Sloan

mother: Mary Scarborough

I have the elder John Sloan(e) being a Scotsman from Northern Ireland.

I have John and Mary (Scarborough) Sloan as having:

Lydia
Jane
James born in Maryland (where my Purdums come from)
Rachel
Abigail
Martha
John

If you can find BUCKEYE CALIFORNIAN, of March 1983, a genea. newsletter, in that issue is an article on the Sloan family from Highland County, Ohio. It belongs to the Southern Chapter of the CA G. S. All the info I have on the newsletter.

Barb, again Hope this helps.
Surnames: PURDUM, BELL, McATINNEY, McKEE, HENDERSON
Dear Nathan, An "old" JOHN SLOAN is bur. on his farm (see McBride books) close to the Highland Co.,/Brown Co., line. I haven't personally seen the tombstone, but I understand it is close to a couple other tiny cems. He is supposed to be bur. on his own farm. This is just conjecture on my part but I think the elderly Sloans were friends to my John and Martha Bell, as they would have been neighbors. My John Bell d. c. 1831; so they were ab. the same age. I hope this helps, is the correct John Sloan and you are able to find the family cem. To my knowledge his is the only tombstone there. Barb

Found parents

Surnames: Sloan, Slone, Collins, Guthrie, Scarborough
1. William Slone(Sloan) born about 1730 in Ireland, died ?
+ Mary Guthrie born ? in Scotland, died ?
...2. John Sloan Sr.( one of three children) b. bet. 1765-1770 in Pa or Md, d. 1835 in Highland Co.,Ohio
+ Mary Scarborough b.1770 in Scarbouroughtowm, Hartford Co., MD, d. 1861 in Highland Co., Ohio
....3. Jane Sloan
....3. James Sloan
....3. Sarah Sloan
....3. Racel Sloan
....3. Abigail Sloan
....3. Martha Sloan
....3. John Sloan Jr. b.1803 in Boubon Co. Ky., d. 1853 in Highland Co., Ohio

+ Sarah Collins .1814 in Ohio, d. 1873 in Ohio
........4. Eli Sloan ( one of seven children)

I have more on the children of these families, if anyone is interested. If you have more information on this, or related to this line, please contact me.

Thanks,
Nathan sloan@england.com
Posted: 21 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: BELL, PURDUM
Cousin Joe, Last message I was thinking of James A. Bell, son of our grandfather (gg to me) JAMES BELL. I wasn't thinking about James the father. Which child do you come from? I come from James Bell's and Mary Casseday Bell's daughter, Mary Ann, who m. Jonah Purdum. Barb
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions