Search for content in message boards

Five Corners Cemetery

Five Corners Cemetery

Posted: 2 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 4:11AM GMT
Surnames: Hosley, Horsley, Laws
My great-great grandparents, William Hosley d. 28 Jun 1838 and his wife Abigail d. 16 Apr 1838 and perhaps some of their children are supposed to be buried in Five Corners Cemetery in Plymouth, Windsor, Vermont. My great-grandparents. Elam Laws and his wife, Sarah "Sally" Hosley were married there and had three children before leaving the state. We have not found any further information on two children Sally Hosley b. 1806 and Elam b. 1810, I do not know the names of the other child. I thought perhaps if they had died young, they may have also been buried near their grandparents. I would really appreciate knowing if they are there, and perhaps get a snapshot of their graves Thank you, Jean Suman

Hosley family in Vermont

Posted: 5 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 4 Sep 2001 1:31PM GMT
Surnames: Hosley, Bump, Bumpus, Chilson
I am helping a friend with her family tree. She has an Eli Hosley born about 1790 and his wife is Angeline. The only child that we know is Louisa Hosley born 16 December, 1814 in Whitingham, Vermont. She married a William Alonzo Chilson in Smithfield, Pennsylvania in 1835. Louisa Hosley Chilson died 11 November, 1905 in Ulysses, Pennsylvania. William and Louisa had a son Willis Chilson born 1846 in Ulysses (Potter County), PA. He married Mahala Bump. The Bump/Bumpus/Bumpass line goes back to the original Plymouth, Massachusetts settlers. Does this seem to match any of your info?

Bump / Horsley

Posted: 24 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 4 Jul 2001 7:49PM GMT
Surnames: Bump, Lull, Hersey
Pat: and Jean:

William Lull the Great Grandson of Timothy Lull from Hartland. William Lull's father was Joseph Lull, and here we found the surname's, Priest, Bump, Hersley, all connected to these two men.

Clues; Pomfert, Plymonth, Vermont is where we found clues. Next location we found the names were at Delaware County, New York, for Bump and Hersley surnames and Hersley, Pa.

I have both surnames listed in family tree for Hersley and Bump.

They were in a town called Cannonsville, New York.
This town was flooded as a reservoir for New York City water shed.
The bodies and "Tombstones" were moved to Pepacton, New York where Pepacton, New York town was also flooded, although I have found that the MAIN Cemetery for this location was moved to higher ground at Pepacton over looking the Lake at that location.
From what I have found, there is a park of sorts located there also, with Picnic tables over looking the same lake. From what I have been told it is very close to that Cemetery, of which I have no name yet.

I have made two attempts to verify this by going to that location. So far I have not been able to have enought time going to Vermont to make this side trip to that location.

Below is a connection for that link, to that information.

http://www.rootsweb.com/~nydelawa/index2.html

These might help if you don't already have them.

Viola Dell Hersey
m. John Vernon Lull

John Stryker Lull
m. Leona May Bump

Other Clues:
Otsego Country, New York.
Morris, New York.
Unadilla, New York.

Gary Allen Lull

Re: Hosley family in Vermont

Marilyn (View posts)
Posted: 2 Jun 2002 12:25AM GMT
Surnames: Hosley
I am intereted in the Hosley family in Vermont. Are there any relatives in Whitingham, VT at that time with the names ofJames Hosley, Betsy, Samuel, Vincent Vivaldi Hosley?

Pat Woodruff (View posts)
Posted: 4 Jun 2002 1:23AM GMT
Surnames: Hosley, Arms, Chilson, Nobles, Dennis, Blackman, Childson, Doing
There were also a David and a Samuel Hosley living in Whitingham about the same time as Eli and having children born at the same time. Perhaps they were brothers?

Jonathan Jewett Hosley
Yeomanter of Greenfield, Hampshire County, MA. He is mentioned in the Records of Whitingham, Windham County, Vermont where he owned land i 1793. The date of the deed being October 5, 1793.
Eli, son of Jonathan, Yeoman of Greenfield, was born in Massachusetts and in 1805 he settled in Whitingham, Windham County, Vermont. Here he married Angelina Arms in the year 1811. Land records show that Eli owned land in Whitingham in 1807.
Eli Hosley born 1785 Massachusetts; died April 26, 1868 - Hector Township, Potter County, Pennsylvania married March 10, 1811 to Angelina Arms (born 1793, Vermont; died after 1880 in Ulysses, Potter County, PA)
Eli Hosley of Hector, died April 26, 1868, in his 84th year. Born in Vermont in 1795; moved to Bradford Co, PA in 1830; lived there 10 years; then followed his children to Potter County. Res: Whitingham, Windham County, VT
1) Louisa Hosley born December 14, 1814 in Whittingham, Vermont; died November 11, 1905 at Ulysses, Potter County, PA; married in 1835 at Smithfield, Bradford County, PA to William Chilson who died before Louisa moved to Potter County. They had 12 children (Known children: William Alonzo; Eli; Orlando; Rufus; Sarah Louise; Willis; Alice; Avery A.; Ella)
Obituary: HOSLEY - CHILSON: Mrs. Louisa Chilson died Nov. 11, 1905 at the home of her son Orlando Chilson, Louisa Hosley was born Dec. 16, 1814, at Whitingham, Vermont. She was married in 1835 to William Chilson at Smithfield, PA and 44 years ago came to Ulysses. They were the parents of twelve children, the following still living: Eli, Orland, Willis and Avery, and Mrs Louise Nobles, of Friendship, NJ. Mrs. Alice Dennis, of Bingham and Mrs. Ella Blackman of this place. Mr. Childson died many years ago. Besides these children, she is survived by two brothers, Rufus and William, of this place, and one sister, Mrs. Sybil Doing, of Clyde, Ohio.
2) Martin Hosley born Sept. 3, 1817
3) Rufus C. Hosley born June 11, 1824
4) Emeline C. Hosley born Oct. 29, 1826 died March 17, 1831
5) Sibyl Hosley
6) Henry C.
7) William T.

I got this information from someone else. Write to me at patwoodruff@mac.com

Mahala Bump

Posted: 19 Jan 2004 7:51AM GMT
Surnames: Bump, Chilson
I saw your posting of Mahala Bump wife of Willis Chilson .
Are you a descendant??

Sharon

JSuman (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jan 2004 8:18AM GMT
Surnames: Bump, Chilson
Sharon you said: I saw your posting of Mahala Bump wife of Willis Chilson .
Are you a descendant??

I wonder if you are looking at the right posting. I do not have any Mahala Bump wife of Willis Chilson. I am looking for Hosley family members buried in that cemetery. Wish I could help.

Jean Suman

Posted: 19 Jan 2004 10:34PM GMT
Surnames: Hosley, Woodruff, Bump, Chilson
This too leads to the Hosley family in Vermont. I must have posted to the wrong message. The submitter was Patricia Woodruff. She was posting for a friend I guess. But there is a fairly good thread that has the name Mahala Bump in the material. Mahala Bump was married to Willis Chilson., son of William and Louisa Hosley Chilson I wanted to see if the party was a descendent from Willis and Mahala and if by some chance they had sent for a death certificate for Mahala. I was looking for more than one confirmation on Mahalas mothers maiden name. I have the death certificate for Mahala's brother James Bump. Mahala died in 1911 and is in Ulysses Potter co Pa cem. Beside her previous husband Willis Chilson. Mahala and Willis parted ways and Willis then married Mahala's neice, daughter of her brother James Bump, Clemintine Jame Bump and together they had a family Sharon

JSuman (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jan 2004 7:43AM GMT
Surnames: Hosley, Laws
Hi Sharon,

I have the Hosley family back to James born in 1649. I have several Williams, but do not see one married to a Mahala or Lousia. I may not have her listed as one of the children.

The family was originally in Massachusetts before moving to Vermont. Salley Hosley Laws was my great-great grandmother. I wish I could be of more help.

Jean Suman

Pat Woodruff (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jan 2004 9:53PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Chilson, Vincent, Bump, Hosley, Arms, Doing, Blackman, Dennis, Nobles, Knickerbocker
KTaken from the History of Bradford County, PA by Haverly. The Chilson family were early settlers in the town of Asylum and were from Florida, New York. Samuel and ALbert were the heads of the family, but Albert, after two or three years, moved west. Samuel Chilson lived on the Aekla place, ad died feb 2846, ot the age of 85 years. Samuel Chilson 2d, Jehiel & Joal, nephews of the elder Samuel, came to the country about 1811, a brother, Asa, coming in 1809. Robert, George, Anson and William were also brothers. Robert came in 1814 and Anson soon after the War of 1812 had closed, he serving, therein. After some seven years remove to Horseads, New York, where he passed the remainedr of his life. Robert lived and died on the farm now occupied by his son. Benjamin, his death occuring about 1860. William came in 1813, removed to Smithfield where he died. He lived with his brother Samuel in Asylum a number of years. Asa, after some 12 years returned to Florida, NY where he died. Samuel Chilson, 2d, died in Frenchtown.
Eli Hosley was born in 1785 in MA; died in 1868 in Hector Twp, Potter Co, PA; m Angeline Arms who was born in 1793 in VT; died after 1880 in Ulysses, Potter Co, PA probably at the home of her Dau, Louisa Hosley Chilson.
Eli Hosley moved to Bradford Co, PA in 1830, lived there for 10 years and later followed his children to Potter County. Known children of Eli & Angeline Hosley were: Louisa Hosley Chilson, Martin Hosley, Rufus C. Hosley, Sibyl Hosley Doing, Henry C. Hosley & William T. Hosley.
1- Louisa Hosley was born Dec 16, 1814 in Whitinghham, Vermont; died Nov11, 1905 at Ulysses, PA; m in 1835 at Smithfield, Bradford Co, PA to William Chilson who died befor Louisa moved to Potter County. They had 12 children: Known children of Louisa & William Chilson: William Alonzo, Eli, Orlando, Rufus, Sarah, Louise Chilson Nobles, Willis, Alice Chilson Dennis, Avery A. Chilson and Ella Chilson Blackman.

Willis Chilson born 1846; died Oct 30, 1921; married Mrs. Mahala Bump Vincent b 1842; died Dec 21, 1911. Children:
a-William Chilson b. 1867
b-Rosa Chilson b. 1869
c-Mary Chilson b. 1874; married ? Knickerbocker
d-Eddie Chilson b. 1875
e-Laura Chilson b. 1877
f-Edna Chilson b. 1880; d 1928; married Norman Bump (b 1873; d Sept 6, 1911) m 2nd Lowain Byam

INternational Genealogical Index - 1988 Edition:
CHILSON, Willis (M) b. 1847 Ulysses, Potter, PA Father: William ALonzo Chilson Mother: Louisa Hosley
HOSLEY FAMILY: Eli, son of Jonathan, Yeoman of Greenfield was born in MA and in 1805 he settled in Whitingham, Windham co, VT. Here he married Angelina ARms in the year 1811. Land records show that Eli owned land in Whitingham in 1807.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions