Search for content in message boards

SOWLE

Posted: 27 Jan 2003 4:04AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 15 Dec 2004 1:58PM GMT
Surnames: SOULE, SOWLE
Hello,
I am a descendant of George Soule (Mayflower). I found this board while I was searching for the final resting place of Elizabeth (Curtis) Sowle, wife of Wesson Sowle.
Wesson was the son of James and Patience (Macomber) Sowle. I am descended from Wesson and Elizabeth through their daughter, Lucinda, who was the sister of Hiram A., William, Ann, James, Abigail, Helen, Minerva and Mary Ann who moved from Vermont to Monroe County, WI in 1855. Lucinda, who married Austin Ladd, remained in Dorset, Vermont. Of those who moved to Monroe County, William, Hiram, Abigail and Minerva remained. Helen returned to Vermont. Mary Ann moved to Michigan. I have beautiful photos of the gravestones of James and Patience (Macomber) Sowle that I would be happy to e-mail to relatives. I would love to exchange information with cousins.
Other surnames connected to this family include - MORRISON, COLSON, HAMMOND, JOHNSON, BROWN, SPRINGER, WELLMAN, CREE, VAN ALSTYNE, MACLAUREN, MORSE, KEYES, BIGELOW, ONAN, SULLIVAN, JACKSON, SMITH, HAMMOND, LEWIS, GIBBS, KELSEY, REISDORF, LITCHFIELD, GOLLE, DROW, THOM, HASS, SARNEV, SCOTT, MANLEY, NICOL, STOIBER, ROEDER, HENDRICKSEN, NIENAST, HART

Re: MANLEY (Cecil) m (SOWLE) Irma Agnes

Posted: 27 Jan 2003 1:59PM GMT
Surnames: COLSON, CURTIS, MACOMBER, MANLEY, SOWLE
I was asked the following question after my initial posting.
"Which MANLEY family in Monroe Co. is linked to this group?"
To which I replied:
Irma Agnes SOWLE (daughter of Harvey M. and Edna King Smith Sowle) born abt.1886, m. Cecil MANLEY abt. 1914. Irma died abt. 1914.
Irma Agnes was one of fourteen children from this marriage.
Brothers and sisters include Claude Raymond, Harold Burdette, Ethel Claire, Edith May, John Cleveland, Hiram Wesson, Lucie Edna, Ernest Kyle, Albert Winifred, Harriet Marguerite, Forest Smith, Florence Fern and Cecil Carl.
Harvey M. SOWLE was born Feb. 11, 1846 in Dorset, Vermont, died 1931 in Tomah, married in 1869 in Tomah to Luella M. JACKSON, and in 1878 in Tomah to Edna King SMITH.
Harvey M. Sowle was the son of Hiram A. and Harriet E. (COLSON) SOWLE.
Hiram A. Sowle was the son of Wesson and Elizabeth (CURTIS) SOWLE.
Wesson SOWLE was the son of James and Patience (MACOMBER) SOWLE.
Most of the above information is taken from the MONROE COUNTY (Wisconsin) HERITAGE BOOK.
I have no further information about Cecil MANLEY.
If you connect to this line through Cecil MANLEY, I would like to share information.
James and Patience (Macomber) SOWLE are both descended from signers of the Mayflower Compact.
James Sowle's line of descent is documented in "Mayflower Families Through Five Generations, Volume Three, George Soule" which I own a copy of.
Additionally, James SOWLE fought in the Revolutionary War. I have obtained his service documentation from the National Archives.

Re: SOWLE (Hiram) m WEBBER (Samantha)

Dean Hagen (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jan 2003 4:39PM GMT
Classification: Marriage
Edited: 17 Apr 2003 7:38PM GMT
Surnames: SOWLE, WEBBER
I have a marriage certificate showing that Samantha Webber married Hiram Sowle when he was Justice of the Peace in Tomah, WI.
They were married Oct 9 1882 in Mauston, Juneau, WI. Certificate is filed in Vol 1, page 397 at the Juneau County Courthouse, Mauston, WI.

Re: SOWLE (Hiram Allen) m COLSON (Evangeline)

Posted: 27 Jan 2003 6:02PM GMT
Surnames: COLSON, HAMMOND, SOWLE, SOULE
Is this Hiram Allen SOWLE b. Danby, Vermont, Oct. 10, 1818?
If so, according to this information from the Monroe County Local History Room, that would be a 4th marriage for him.
This article states:
"On October 10, 1839, East Dorset, Vermont, he married Harriet Evangeline COLSON, daughter of Warren and Hannah (Morse) COLSON."
It, also, states:
"Harriet died June 3, 1854 in Dorset, Vermont, and is buried there. With four young children to care for, Hiram remarried in March 1855 to a widow, Lucy Hammond LEWIS, born November 9, 1831, West Windsor, Vermont, daughter of Calvin and Lucy HAMMOND. Almost immediately they set out for Wisconsin with other members of the family."
Finally it states:
"Hiram's wife Lucy died November 28, 1881 in Tomah, and is buried in Oak Grove Cemetery. He married the third time in Tomah, in 1886, his cousin Phebe Ann SOULE, born November 22, 1829, in Danby, Vermont, a daughter of Gardner and Abigail Curtis SOULE. Ann had spent most of her life in New York where she was a teacher for twenty years. This marriage ended with Ann's death September 16, 1888. He later moved to Hutchinson, Kansas to live with his son Albert. After Albert's death in 1894, he moved to Brookhaven, Mississippi, to live with his daughter Hattie. He died there October 4, 1901. Funeral services were held in Tomah, and he is buried in Oak Grove Cemetery."
Do you have a date of death for Samantha Webber?

Re: SOWLE (Hiram) m WEBBER (Samantha)

Dean Hagen (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jan 2003 9:16PM GMT
Edited: 17 Apr 2003 7:43PM GMT
Surnames: BYRAN, SOWLE, WEBBER
Yes, it is Hiram from Danbury. I have his bio from Monroe County. Hiram was Samantha's third marriage. They apparently divorced because Samantha married Russel C. Bryan in Black River Falls, Jackson, WI 31 Mar 1898. She died 22 Apr 1915 at the age of 84. She is buried in Riverside Cemetery, Black River Falls, WI.
Posted: 27 Jan 2003 11:37PM GMT
Edited: 15 Sep 2005 10:41PM GMT
Surnames: SOWLE SOULE HAMMOND WEBBER COLSON LEWIS
Thanks for the info.
Just one note, it is Danby, not Danbury.
I grew up in Mt. Tabor, the next town over and spent many
a pleasant afternoon walking to the library in Danby.

Re: STOIBER (Anton)

Mary Barton (View posts)
Posted: 9 Apr 2003 5:50AM GMT
Edited: 15 Sep 2005 10:40PM GMT
Surnames: Stoiber
Stoiber surname exists in my family. My grandmother's name was Stoiber before she got married. Her father was Anton Stoiber from the Tomah or Sparta area. My grandmother was born in 1897 in California. Anton was a barber for many years. He divorced my great grandmother Elizibeth Liermann sometime shortly after my grandmother was born. He lived in San Fransisco and Los Angeles. He remarried and had two other daughters from what I can figure out. Do you think there is any connection? I think his father and some other family members are buried in the Oak Cemetary. How's the connection to the Mayflower?

Thanks in Advance,
Mary Barton
ambart@gci.net

Re: MANLEY (Maude) m SOWLE (Harold)

Posted: 24 Feb 2004 10:19AM GMT
Surnames: Manley, Sowle
Reply to Karla Staudt <staudt@cptelco.net>

Wisconsin Marriages, pre-1907
Name Marriage Date County Volume Page
Maude M Manley 16 May 1906 Monroe 04 0502
Harold B Sowle 16 May 1906 Monroe 04 0502

Wisconsin Deaths, 1820-1907
Name Death Date County Volume Reel
Alfred W Sowle 05 May 1877 Monroe 01 100
Edna K Sowle 27 Apr 1904 Monroe 01 100
William Sowle 29 Apr 1877 Monroe 01 100

Wisconsin Census, 1820-90
Name State County Township Year
DARIUS SOWLE WI Monroe County Wilton 1860
HIRAM A. SOWLE WI Monroe County Wilton 1860
JAMES SOWLE WI Monroe County Wilton 1860
JAMES C. SOWLE WI Monroe County Wilton 1860
MARGARET B. SOWLE WI Monroe County Wilton 1860
WILLIAM SOWLE WI Monroe County Wilton 1860
NELLIE -W- SOWLE WI Monroe County E.D. 200 Tomah 1890
ORLANDO T. -DEC- SOWLE WI Monroe County E.D. 200 Tomah 1890

1880 United States Federal Census
Name Age in 1880 Est. Birth Year Birthplace Relation to head-of-house Marital Status Race Gender Home in 1880 (City, County, State)
Bernard MANLEY 37 <1843> Ireland Self NA White Male Little Falls, Monroe, WI
Maria MANLEY 55 <1825> Ireland Mother Widowed White Female Little Falls, Monroe, WI
Aurilla MANLEY 8 <1872> Wisconsin Dau Single White Female New Lyme, Monroe, WI
Nellie MANLEY 5 <1875> Wisconsin Dau Single White Female New Lyme, Monroe, WI
Hattie MANLEY 12 <1868> Wisconsin SisterL Single White Female Sparta, Monroe, WI

1920 United States Federal Census
Name Age in 1920 Estimated Birth Year Birthplace Race Home in 1920 (City, County, State)
Sowle, Harold B 39 1880 Wisconsin White La Grange, Monroe, Wisconsin
Sowle, Kyle E 27 1892 Wisconsin White Tomah, Monroe, Wisconsin
Sowle, Herb 42 1877 Wisconsin White Tomah, Monroe, Wisconsin
Sowle, Albert 24 1895 Wisconsin White Tomah, Monroe, Wisconsin

I am not related to nor have any additional information on these surnames. Acutally, I am a distant cousin of the SOWLE line - my SOWL family is from LafayetteCoWI - back to the Mayflower.
R/S MAK http://www.rootsweb.com/~wimonroe

+++++

Hello,

I am looking for information on Maude MANLEY b.1882 in Iowa who married Harold SOWLE in 1906 in Monroe Co., WI. Does anyone have her full birthdate? Or know her parent's names? I am trying to verify if she is the daughter of Julius and Lottie (Manley) Manley. If she is, I have her ancestry to share.

Thank-you for any help you are able to offer!

Karla Staudt <staudt@cptelco.net>

Re: MANLEY (Julius B)

Posted: 24 Feb 2004 10:42AM GMT
Surnames: Manley
Reply to Karla Staudt <staudt@cptelco.net>

1880 United States Federal Census
Name Age in 1880 Est. Birth Year Birthplace Relation to head-of-house Marital Status Race Gender Home in 1880 (City,County,State)
Julius B MANLEY 29 <1851> Pennsylvania Self Married White Male Highland, O'Brien, IA
Lottie MANLEY 19 <1861> Wisconsin Wife Married White Female Highland, O'Brien, IA
Milton N MANLEY 14 <1866> Wisconsin Son NA White Male Highland, O'Brien, IA
Rosa B MANLEY 9 <1871> Wisconsin Dau Single White Female Highland, O'Brien, IA
Elon D MANLEY 11 <1869> Wisconsin Son Single White Male Liberty, O'Brien, IA
John E MANLEY 9 <1871> Iowa Son Single White Male Liberty, O'Brien, IA
Joseph MANLEY 44 <1836> Ohio Self Married White Male Liberty, O'Brien, IA
Junius N MANLEY 14 <1866> Wisconsin Son Single White Male Liberty, O'Brien, IA
Olive MANLEY 48 <1832> Ohio Wife Married White Female Liberty, O'Brien, IA

Iowa State Census 1885
Julius P. Manley 33 M PA M Highland
Lottie T. Manley 23 F WI M Highland
Jesse S. Manley 5 M O'Brien S Highland
Maud M. Manley 2 F O'Brien S Highland
Olive J. Manley 0 F O'Brien S Highland

1920 United States Federal Census
Manley, Lattie T 58 1861 Wisconsin White Highland, O'Brien, Iowa

I am not related to nor have any additional information on these surnames.
R/S MAK http://www.rootsweb.com/~wimonroe

+++++

Hello,

I am looking for information on Maude MANLEY b.1882 in Iowa who married Harold SOWLE in 1906 in Monroe Co., WI. Does anyone have her full birthdate? Or know her parent's names? I am trying to verify if she is the daughter of Julius and Lottie (Manley) Manley. If she is, I have her ancestry to share.

Thank-you for any help you are able to offer!

Karla Staudt <staudt@cptelco.net>

Re: SCOTT (Frank Bruce) m COLE (Nancy Amelia)

Posted: 3 Jul 2005 12:53AM GMT
Edited: 5 Jul 2005 7:08PM GMT
Surnames: Scott, Cole, Sowle, Sowl
Hello, I notice you have a Scott/ Sowle connection in Monroe Co, Wi (Tomah). I am researching a Frank Bruce Scott (1845-1902) who married Nancy Amelia Cole(1850- 1903) both of whom are buried in the Oak Grove Cemetery in Tomah, WI. Frank and Nancy had a daughter: Luetta Belle (Scott) Sowle. Is this line a connection to yours? My interest is in the Scott genealogy....... I am looking for Frank Bruce Scott's father and mother. I believe his father to be a David Scott (1811-1888) of Pennsylvania. I can find both David and Frank living next door to each other in the 1880 census in Leeds, Columbia Co., WI. Any help appreciated. Thank you, Susan
per page

Find a board about a specific topic