Search for content in message boards

MURPHY, Francis J.

MURPHY, Francis J.

Kay R (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Surnames: MURPHY, ALCOX, GRAY, KING, CROSBY, SLATTERY, BOWSER, McLAUGHLIN
This obituary is very difficult to read - K.R.

(At the hour of eight o'clock on the evening of July 21, 1914), Mr. Francis J. Murphy, one of the highly respected pioneer farmers of Mitchell, passed peacefully away to his heavenly home at the age of fifty-two years, (eight) months and nineteen days. His illness dates back several years when he had sinking spells caused by a leakage of the heart. At times throughout his sickness he would improve sufficiently to give hope to his patient wife and other members of the family who did everything in their power to relive his su(?) that he might recover his health.

Mr. Francis J. Murphy was born in New York City, November 5, 1861, and came with his parents to Wisconsin and settled in Mitchell in 1863, where he lived until he was called to go up higher.

Mr. Murphy was united in marriage to Miss Emma Alcox, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Peter Alcox on January 8, 1895. Mr. Murphy was a good citizen, a kind neighbor, a loving husband, an affectionate father, and an (?) man. He was the father of (?) children, Catherine, Joseph, (?), (?), and (Fran)cis. He has two brothers, P(atric)k ? of Mitchell and John of Milwaukee, and one sister, Mrs. Alice Gray of Chicago. The family have the sympathy of their many friends in their great bereavement. The funeral was held on Monday morning at 10 o'clock at St. Mary's church in Cascade (Sheboygan co.), Rev. Father Hoog officiating.

Rev. Hoog's kind words brought comfort to the sorrowing relatives and friends. The sermon, singing and music were fine. The casket was covered in choice flowers from kind friends. The remains of Mr. Murphy were kindly (laid) at rest in the adjoining cemetery in charge of Parnell (C)or. No. 121 C.O.F. of which he was an honored member. The pall bearers were members of the order and were as follows: Messrs. Philip King, J.J. Crosby, Patrick Slattery, Joseph Bowser, Wm. E. McLaughlin, and Michael Slattery. The funeral was largely attended and attested the esteem in which the deceased was held by our citizens. James Gilboy of Campbellsport conducted the funeral.

Re: MURPHY, Francis J.

Posted: 3 Aug 2012 12:59AM GMT
Classification: Query
This is my great grandpa.

Posted: 19 Mar 2013 8:51PM GMT
Do you know who his parents were or if he was related to Mary Murphy Rodden? Mary is my 3rd great grandma and I am having trouble finding anything on her parents. I know she was born in Ireland in 1838 and coming to America about 1847-1852. She married Michael Rodden from Mitchell, WI in 1855. Any info would be great if you have it

Posted: 19 Mar 2013 11:21PM GMT
I have Francis' parents as Mary Tiernay and Patrick Murphy, both born around 1829.

Posted: 20 Mar 2013 3:31PM GMT
Thanks! I'm thinking they might be related somehow! I'll see what I can dig up :)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions